View Single Post
      08-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #27
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

If we are strictly talking about new cars; I think the biggest jump anyone can make is from something like a Corolla ($20K) to something like a BMW 340i ($55K). No law of diminishing returns applies there... everything is far far better in that class for the price and the person that usually makes a jump like that is blown away by everything in the more expensive car... The moment you start going above that 55-60K range, things get better but at a much much more marginal level... It requires at least double that to get into another class... i.e. a 911 and it still wont impress as much as that initial jump from Corolla to BMW. Going above that 911 level, you get into absurdly expensive cars... I think above $60k (maybe outside of an M3 at $75K), is where the magic of used cars happens to get the best returns... Used cars in general (CPO 2 year old cars) will always be the best value on the market and will allow you to get into the best car at the best price... I had an Audi S3 at one point that retailed $52K. I paid $31K for it after 2.5 years with a 100K mile CPO warranty... At $31K it is an amazing value and I was impressed by it day to day; however, I could never imagine paying even $1 above $31K for that car. YMMV
Appreciate 0