05-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #32
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
You're mixing apples and oranges.

First, I didn't mention anything about race cars, which are what are driven on road-courses.

Here, let me help.

Sports Car - street car with emphasis on fun, light weight, and handling
Muscle Car - street car with emphasis on power, drag racing on the street, or the strip
GT (Grand Touring) Car - street car with emphasis on giving the best of both previous worlds

Beyond that, you're comparing a newer Mustang to an old RX-7? An old MR-2? An old Miata? And on a road-course?

Mustang's were, at best clunky junk until very recently, and not nearly as fun to drive as the cars I have mentioned, and year for year would get their asses handed to them in that regard.
I have a 2SS 1LE, it is definitely not a street car with emphasis on drag racing. It's an emphasis on road-course track racing and handling. While people may drag race 1LEs, PP2s, GT350s, ZLEs, they are intended to put down road course track times and carving up curvy roads is what they excel at.

I also don't agree that a GT car emphasizes those two criteria. If anything, it's a more comfortable version of a track car, not necessarily trying to blend a muscle car with a track car. GT cars were being made in Europe with no connection to drag racing.

For those able to look past the bottom line or basic versions (like comparing a 320 to an M3), the line has been blurred and these are no longer the horrible cars from 30 years ago that had no hope of ever meeting a decent car on a road course. They've been able to churn out some world class chassis and cars capable of beating the mainstays.

Last edited by RM7; 05-19-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50