Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Actually, you can have the system drive for you all the time with this simple suggestion I got from my salesman. Place the fingers of one hand lightly to the back of the steering wheel but only with enough pressure that the wheel picks up the heat of your fingers but does not actually steer the car. The X7 will continue to steer indefinitely with no warnings. I was test driving another X7 last week when he shared this tip and it works great. I've used it at least a half dozen times since. While it's not "Traffic Jam Assistant" its a way to suppress the yellow and red warning lights. Of course you must be fully engaged with watching the road as anything could go wrong.
Are you saying that all you have to do is tap the back of the steering wheel with your fingers? You don't need to hold them there? If you need to hold them there what's the point?
I've seen all the ideas. Put a water bottle on the wheel. Wedge a grapefruit in the wheel. Whatever.

On perfectly flat straight roads I have my hand on the wheel and the yellow warning still flashes until I actually squeeze the wheel. It's fine.
Can you further elaborate on this? How much of a "squeeze" on the steering wheel are you talking about? For example, if you are cruising on the interstate with light/moderate traffic, traveling at speeds at or above the speed limit (65 MPH+), can you just gently rest your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel with a few fingers (close to your lap) to keep the car happy? Or do you need a white knuckle death grip, with multiple fingers wrapped around the entire wheel at the "10 and 2 positions" for the car to properly sense your hand on the wheel?

I jest a bit since I am sure there is a happy medium, I am just trying to get a good sense about the sensitivity of the system wrt hands on the steering wheel since I know I could not get a long enough test drive to really understand this system prior to purchase .
Usually resting your hands on the wheel is good enough. I drive the same way. Arm on lap and fingers resting in the bottom of the wheel. Usually that's good enough except when the road is long straight and flat. Then it seems like just resting your fingers there isn't good enough. But just a little pressure will keep the yellow lights off. If you don't keep at least a tiny bit of pressure then the lights come on and you need to squeeze the wheel a bit. It's still pretty awesome. My Q7 was really good and the BMW is a tic better.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1837.00