United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Thanks for this great insight, it really helps. Now here is another one for you.... I know you can press a button to turn off the system at any time. But if the system is driving fine at highway speed, keeping your fingers/hands on the steering wheel as appropriate, how much manual force on the steering wheel does it take to regain manual control? For example, with the system on, if you decide to make a manual lane change by turning the steering wheel with your hands (and not using a button to turn off the system first), either a normal one or possibly an "abrupt" lane change, how much will the car "fight" you to maintain automatic control? Or will the car easily sense your manual steering input and return full manual control to the driver?

I am curious because during my X7 test drive, the Lane Change Assist was turned on and the amount of force the car turned the steering wheel seemed surprisingly high - and I even fought back a little bit when it happened. When exiting the parking lot, the car thought I came too close to the center line and abruptly turned the steering wheel to more aggressively get back into my lane (even though I had no concern with how close I was to the center line) - I promptly turned that rather annoying feature off BTW. That said, I like to think I am strong enough to overpower the car on the steering wheel, but who knows.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0