Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
BMW takes a very conservative approach to autonomous driving and if it was possible, G05 forum members with coding experience would have surfaced it by now. I know that Cadillac offers Super Cruise and eventually other GM brands which works up to highway speeds.

Last year, BMW spokesman Oleg Satanovsky acknowledged that BMW's approach to ETJA at speeds up to around 40 mph, "may be more conservative" but defended it as a safety measure and cautioned that the driver remains "always responsible for control of the vehicle" with ETJA. He declined to say whether the hardware is capable of higher speed thresholds through an over-the-air update.
Ya I can definitely see they are ultra conservative and worried about law suits. Hence the low threshold. Thing is it's a little ridiculous honestly. You trust the driver to use the system fully engaged up to 40 but not 70? look what is the difference?

I've used the super cruise in a Cadillac ct6 and it is awesome. No reason bmw can't do the same in their 100k+ flagship.

I own a 16 platinum ct6 but no super cruise. Wasn't introduced until my 18.

I would love for this to be able to be coded though.
It can't currently be coded unfortunately. The car works perfectly well up to 70 mph hands free on motorways, at least on the current I-step.

In my experience it would have probably caused an accident hands free at 70mph with 07/2019 istep and earlier - it couldn't deal with steep bends and would sometimes misread road markings and steer off track, but with 07/2020 it's solid. Not 100% but very close.

I've driven hands and feet free for over and hour at 70mph (hand next to wheel on knee) and the car deals with everything, even wandering trucks moving into its lane.

I can see them allowing hands free as standard at greater speeds on the 'inext' models. Whether they retrofit to current models is another matter.
Appreciate 0