07-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
We all know this. Honestly, you should have too.
Trust me I am well aware of it - as you can see by the first paragraph. However, for some reason, I figured what could happen if I do it just this one time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Yeah, there are exactly five people at the dealership who can drive my car and no one else will even try anymore. If I can't drive it anywhere else, it doesn't get driven. And if I can't park it myself I figure I don't need to be there. For exactly the reason you've experienced. There's no way to get damage like that taken care of with loser valet operations and for some odd reason ya can't just shoot 'em...
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD View Post
I don't let passengers open and close doors on my car unless I'm parking at the far end spot of the parking lot idk how you decided it was ok to let a valet ok to drive your car :| but I understand, no other options, mistakes happen. Next time ask them to tell you where to park and you will park it for them and they can sit in the car if they want.
That is a good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureE92 View Post
Damn my blood is boiling just reading that. Props on keeping your cool.
It took all I had to keep it cool. I counted to 30 since 10 was not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Honestly, in NYC, I just assumed all valets know how to drive a stick (bad assumption I guess). I mean, have you seen how closely they are able to position vehicles in a garage, doors can't even be opened and mirrors are folded...

Still, I dunno, if that happened to me, what happens if 8k or 20k miles down the road, the clutch fails? The burning is not nothing, I've never smelled anything like that on any of my cars....

Is it gonna be a he said she said (which is why we all need dash cams)....if OP simply says you buy me a new clutch, end of story...
My assumption exactly. It's mofo NY. How could you not drive a stick. But then again, all it takes is one. I have been eyeing a dashcam for a while now. DO you have any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piker28 View Post
And who would be buying it? The management company? Think again. I smoked a clutch at my old dealer "6speed knob on a 5 speed". The car lost life on the clutch but its not the end of the world. That is what you call a life lesson.
I learned my lessons with a tow truck companies. Arguing some things is not worth it. Especially when it comes to mechanical breakdowns. There is a parking lot across the street from me now with a very aggressive tow company monitoring it. God knows how many times have I seen them tow a 4x4, FWD, or RWD car by wrong end - just dragging them. It breaks my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Put it this way, if I were the OP, I'm not just walking away and leaving it at that. Whether they're gonna come clean, or not. The way I see it is if it happened to you, you may look at it differently. But you're a disinterested 3rd party, so it's a "life's lesson." Someone else's life, lesson, and clutch.

A clutch is a touchy subject, even mfgs. generally do not cover failures, esp. to the friction material, so it's an uphill battle. But when someone does something they shouldn't, I may, or may not, let it go.
Other than taking the clutch apart, there is no real way to argue the point - and just taking it off (if not DIY) you are looking at about $1500. If the clutch fails in next 10k, sure I can make the point. BUT, if it lasts until 100k, then there is no point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
That's awful. I'm glad your car is okay. The only thing I would have done differently-- if he said "I can drive manual," I would have said "show me."
Thank you. I am glad it's ok too. I tried to get him to show me how he can drive the car - and tape it. He refused.

It was devastating thinking how someone hurt my baby. I even considered driving it to camrax and trading it in, rather then being reminded how an incompetent person ruined my car. If I messed it up, fine. But someone else... hell no!
Appreciate 0