View Single Post
      12-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Well, test drove the 2013 Panamera GTS

As the title states, drove the new Porsche Panamera GTS.

Unreal car!

First thing I noticed upon start up, is the amazing sound it produces.

The interior, while it has a ton of buttons, becomes all very easy to understand, and very easy to access while on the go. Other than that, great materials, great fit and finish. It has that feeling of a 100K + car, just when you sit inside the car.

What really interested me, was the air suspension ride, and how it lowered the ride and works with the car to keep it stable, and great fuel economy, and comfort. Seriously, if there is a GTS near you, go and try the suspension, it has been wonderfully engineered and makes the ride very comfortable.

Driving the car in comfort mode, its really just like any other sleeper car. Its quiet, nice and comfy. Now in sport and sport plus, the sport exhausts are turned on, and the ride transforms into this controllable missile. Not as harsh as the M5 ride, and even though the M5 is soft compared to some other cars I drive, the Panamera allows you to feel comfortable and feel the road at the same time.

Is it fast? Yeah, and the Porsche Panamera offers exactly what the M5 does not offer. A sense of control over the car. Cruising in the M5, you can accelerate super fast, and at moments scary, but you never feel like YOU are in total control. Many who rode passenger in the M5, understand that thrust you feel when the car is WOT. In the Panamera, you dont get that thrust, mainly because its not a Twin turbo, has 430hp, but it does 0-60 around 3.9 to 4.1. Still very fast. Lets not mention the intoxicating sound it produces on the downshifts even in auto mode.

What I noticed the most, is how this car is so loyal to your commands. Driving the M5, accelerating and switching lanes, I had the Traction control keep the tail end from spinning out many times. Its fun, you know its safe, and the car straightness out immediately.... but its knowing that the car sort of does as it pleases on it own, just to accomplish what you tell it to do, is not the most pleasant feeling. The GTS in this category is a true winner.

I am not for one second bashing on the M5, or saying the GTS is a clear better car. Its just another car on the market that is a serious competitor to the M5. While it lacks in acceleration (even though it has enough acceleration), it excels in handling, and provides a higher fun factor. I do wish to add a GTS to my stable someday, in addition to the M5.
Appreciate 0