///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So this is BMWs attempt to have an OEM and integrated dash cam system (unlike the BMW non-integrated dash cam "Advanced Car Eye" - which is very ugly IMHO and not very capable compared to aftermarket solutions). Can you provide any insight as to what BMW has planned for this system in the not too distant future? For example, is there a "parking mode" functionality that may be available? Or is BMW only going to stick with the current "driving/accident detection" functionality which you demonstrated? What about being able to send videos to/from the cloud or monitor live video from a cell phone or computer (these are functions found on current high end aftermarket dash cam systems)?

I currently have a BlackVue dash cam installed in my F80. It has the functionality (both parking mode and driving) that is most common on mid to high end aftermarket dash cams. It would be great if the BMW solution closely matched the features of what is available on aftermarket dash cam systems.

Quick related questions, what is the resolution of the video? Is it the same resolution for all cameras? For comparison, my BlackVue model has 1080p resolution front and rear (and would be considered a mid grade system) - with high end dash cam systems having 4k resolution front/rear available now. Also, what is the video storage capacity of the system and is the storage capacity removable/upgradeable (i.e. via a SD card)?
BlackVue is the best way to go.

I am about to install one in my M this weekend.

It's the modern day alarm system as far as I'm concerned.