01-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #682
BMWBuffalo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So I have a negotiating question regarding incentives based on the last few posts... I have read in multiple places that when negotiating, it is always best to negotiate the final price of the car BEFORE bringing any incentives/credits/rebates to the table. But since those credits are a direct profit for the dealer (essentially cash directly from the manufacturer to the dealer) wouldn't it be good to use those incentives in parallel with negotiating the initial offer price?

For example, BMW currently offers 4 basic credits for new car sales: Finance/Lease, Loyalty, Military, and College Graduate - each with a certain monetary value that is profit for the dealer. If a buyer is qualified for more credits, which means more profit for the dealer regardless of the final sale price, wouldn't the dealer be more willing to offer a higher percentage off MSRP?

In my case, I am eligible for 3 of those 4 credits, which this month equates to a total credit of $4250. So my initial offer to a dealer might be: "I want 10% off MSRP and I am eligible for a total BMW credit of $4250" (I plan to finance, not lease, but I would not mention that yet at this point in the negotiations). 10% off MSRP is on the higher end of what people seem to be getting. But I would think a dealer would be more willing give to a higher percentage off MSRP due to the credits I am eligible for (which I believe is higher than your average buyer). Am I off in my negotiating logic?
I agree with you. I tend to find some client advisors try and muddy the water/obscure the manufacture discounts in various ways by hiding the incentives in the overall MSRP discount. Thus making it look like you are getting a big discount, when your really not.

Also find the transaction to be cleaner and easier to negotiate when you first negotiate the MSRP discount pre incentive. Plus manufacture money can change month to month, and by securing the pre incentive discount, your discount is more "guaranteed".
Appreciate 0