11-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #27
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
If Vettel were to just let Webber by and Webber won WDC, wouldn't that be just as illegitimate as AlonsoIt'd just be cancelling Alonso's cheating in Germany, like somebody else said . It'd be fantastic if that happened , to hopefully disuade cheating. But somebody would get fined, just like Ferrari, right? I can't see anybody other than Vettel doing that, as they'd have nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

But to answer the OP's question, if MW was let pass from 3rd to 2nd to win the WDC over SV, for example, then yes, that'd be an illegitimate WDC win indeed. My guess is SV would NOT let anybody pass, and that's just the way it should be. It's not selfish or anything. It's freaking racing. Nobody should let anybody pass, period.
From a purely moral perspective, I can't disagree. But from a pragmatic perspective, Red Bull are being foolish.

Formula 1 never was, and never has been, about who deserves to win or which WDC was more 'fairly won' than the other. Ultimately, the driver and team which use the best tactics, have the quickest and most reliable car, and have the quickest and most reliable driver, will have the edge. If Red Bull lose the WDC (and yes, it really was theirs to lose this year), no one will remember them for their 'fair' tactics or impartial team attitude. People will only remember the WDC winner, and vaguely remember who the other major competitors were.

To put things into context: how many people remember the runner-up in 2002? How many people remember that highest ranked non-Ferrari driver was Montoya?

In my mind, Red Bull are making a grave mistake by not prioritizing drivers.
Appreciate 0