United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
Why is that? Even on the street?
I disagree with XutvJet. Sway bars will (generally) increase the handling performance of this car. I drove it around 12-15 track days without upgraded sways, and this car does exhibit too much body roll at high (track) speeds. Not so important for sweepers, but if you are doing quick transitions (esses or chicane) the excess body roll will push you towards losing control of the car.

Yes, there are trade offs, but uprated sway bars will (in my opinion) give you the best "bang for your buck" (installation costs notwithstanding) in the handling department over most other suspension mods. In my experience, it made a very significant (read:better) change to how the car handles.

Also, the reason you don't want such a stiff (rear) sway bar without an LSD is that, like XutvJet said, it decreases the amount of independence between the sides of the car. In fact, for example, when I go up steep driveways, my car frequently three-wheels. Luckily, I have a clutch-type LSD installed, so the power just gets shoved over to the wheel touching the ground.

If you don't have an LSD, you might have issues with this type of scenario because you will have serious problems getting power to the wheel still touching the ground. Moreover, when you take a corner really hard with uprated sways, instead of the chassis leaning, the bar will take on the excess stress and lean harder on one wheel than the other. If you do not have a LSD, you will be getting a lot of "one tire fires" if you know what I mean.

Also, keep in mind that I have the H&R bars which are incredibly stiff, compared to the Dinan or Hotchkis bars which are tubular (the H&R bars are solid) and a bit less stiff. That, however, is not to say that they are not stiff -- they are far more stiff than the stock bars, which are simply puny in comparison.