View Single Post
      04-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #55
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Sounds like a whole lot of violent agreement here .... I may understand how the CBS system basically works, but I don't necessarily agree with it, specifically the intervals for different maintenance items - especially for something as vital as oil (regardless of how advanced automotive technology is). And don't get me started on BMW's concept of "lifetime fluids". I changed out the automatic transmission fluid, front and rear differential fluid and transfer case fluid on my wife's 2013 X3 at 50k miles (all considered "lifetime" fluids by BMW), and some of them looked like premium Vermont maple syrup compared to the fresh oil I put back in....

I have been using the Mike Miller old school methodology for a while now and I think my M3 has really reaped the benefit as it is my first BMW where I started the schedule from new. And I plan to do the same with my X7. I adjust my "extra" oil changes to match with the CBS just to make the "oil math" easier and minimize potential conflict with BMW regarding the included maintenance - like what you seem to be experiencing. It means I may do more oil changes than most, but oil changes are cheap, especially since I like to DIY.

I will let you know how my DIY 1200 mile break-in oil service goes .
Yep!

Funny thing is Service Advisor called me this morning to tell me my X7 was ready. Now he's changed his tune and said he would go ahead and reset the service reminder and it wouldn't affect my warranty service. Hmmm... Imagine that. Maybe the Service Manager had a little talk with him about it when he told the Service Manager he scheduled a sit down meeting with him. Who knows but I suspect he knew that meeting wasn't going to go well. I will be looking elsewhere for service going forward.

Like you, I used to do all of the routine maintenance on all of my vehicles. However, I'm much, much older now and time is money. My time is more valuable then the money at my age so I choose to spend my time doing things I enjoy more than maintaining my vehicles.

I'm also a retired Navy Engineer and frankly got tired of working in the pit so to speak. Although in the Navy we called it the "Hole" and were affectionately referred to as "Hole Snipes". Back then ships engines were 1200 PSI super heated Steam Turbines. Those plants are long gone with the exception of Nuke Aircraft Carriers.
Appreciate 0