04-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I agree directness is important, but for me anyway, so is weight, and road feedback. The F15, and the F30, have steering so light one could sneeze and be three lanes over without knowing it. There is also little to no road feedback, which is the main thing I miss the most with the trend towards these electric power steering systems. The M division talked up their "fix" to the steering system, so I wondered if it lived up to its hype. My X5 M has been sitting at the VPC in SC waiting for me to get to the performance center to get it in two weeks, so I'm living vicariously through everyone on here who has taken delivery of theirs.
It's been a while since I drove an F15 (a 35i at that) but my X6M seems to have plenty road feedback, which I didn't notice on the F15. Comfort is just enjoyably light with it.

I liked the heavy steering on my E71, but don't miss it. The only thing you don't notice in "Comfort" that you you do notice with "Sport" and "Sport Plus" is the super wide tires getting caught in the truck tracks on the road. In comfort the car maintains the direction you pointed it in, in Sport onwards you have to perform minor corrections more frequently. That said, I drove through the mountain passes on US2 this weekend, and Comfort (with suspension and drivetrain in Sport Plus) was by far the most fun (and it was a LOT of fun).
Appreciate 1