Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post
Hello! I am new here so please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. I didn't find much information when searching the forum.I had two different dealerships discourage me from buying an M50i because I tend to keep my cars a while and they told me I will start having engine problems at 80K miles. I noticed most of you have purchased the M50i so wondering if you have heard this before or had any personal experiences with your other BMWs? I ended up ordering the 40i based on this, but the more I read your comments I am wondering if I should cancel that and go with the M sitting at the dealership that they ordered to my exact specifications (minus the B&W upgrade) vs waiting for my week 30 build!
Historically (and if you search the various BMW forums enough), the BMW 8-cyl engines are not known for their reliability, especially after the new car warranty period. On the other hand, BMW is known for making very reliable inline 6-cyl engines. The B58 engine in the 40i, along with a host of other BMW models that use this engine, seems to be continuing that basic BMW trend. I plan to keep my X7 for the long haul and chose the 40i over the 50i/M50i for this reason. Of course, YMMV, but that is why the dealerships gave you that advice (if you can talk to some BMW techs, they will give you even more insight on this topic which will support that advice).
I second that opinion. I own 3 BMWs with the inline 6 engine and I have to say they are very reliable and never had a single issue with them. The only thing I ever did to one is change the overhead gasket and cover after 7 years. My brother has the V8 on his F10. It's 5 years old so no issues yet but it is definitely costing him way more in maintenance compared to my inline 6. I have a 2020 40i X7 in order myself for the same exact reason of longevity and maintenance. The BMW I6 are amazing engines.
What's so different about the maintenance that's costing way more?
Appreciate 0