Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post
Thanks for this! That's pretty much what both dealerships told me and why I opted for the 40i. The drive in the M was fantastic and I was also willing to pay the difference but just doesn't make sense long term. Here's to hoping week 30 gets bumped up! 😬🤣
Completely agree with the M. It is so fast and was too “dangerous” for me in my hands - I was doing 80-90 on the test drive without even realizing it. Drive was too smooth and quiet. I loved it which is why I really thought hard about getting it. However, the 40i was plenty quick enough (certainly didn’t lack speed) and as the intent is to haul around my kids, having some limitation on speed was a good thing for me. 🤣
I agree the 6cyl doesn't lack speed but on my test drive I felt like I was pushing it around but with the 8cyl I felt I had to hold it back like it effortlessly wanted to run. Don't know if that makes sense to you guys lol

It's kinda like how I felt looking at a 4cyl vs 6cyl X3. I don't like to feel I am pushing a vehicle constantly when I am driving. I like to feel that I'm holding it back and in an opportunity I can let it go for a run e.g. in a quick overtake or mountain road. Funny enough the sales people back then were trying to convince me to buy the smaller engine as well but I opted for the "overkill" engine as they put it. I never once regretted buying the "overkill" in the few years I've owned the 6cyl X3.

So here I am today faced with the same dilemma. I opted for the "overkill" again with the 8cyl and hopefully it won't lead to regrets but I have learnt that caring and doing proper maintenance can be a big factor in longevity of the BMW engine.

Also, I keep my cars usually for over 10 years so that's a long time to regret an engine that doesn't bring a smile to my face every day. I've also done that before and although it was a great vehicle that got the kids and I to where we needed to go after a while I found myself wanting to borrow my wife's vehicle (BMW) more and more when she wasn't using it for work since it had a better smile to my face factor.

So with my prior experiences in tow I've now gone to the dark side with my first BMW V8 I'll update after 10 years of ownership on if this was a smart decision or not.
Appreciate 3