08-11-2020, 07:38 AM   #22
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
There have been various discussions on this forum asking to compare the 40i vs M50i. Everyone has their own valid reasons, but I will at least pass on the advice given to me by two senior managers at BMW (one was dealership GM and one was a regional district manager). Note they both understood that I drive my cars 7-10 years:
- both strongly recommended the 40i
- M50i not worth the extra cost for what you get (but if money is no object of course go for it)
- the M50i engine has more maintenance issues/challenges/costs later on as it logs mileage/age
- one said he would only sell an M50i to a friend if it was used/CPO (i.e. it already has taken the big depreciation hit and covered under warranty)
- reiterated how tried and true the inline-6 is and its reliability

Again, just two perspectives, but I found it interesting they didn’t push me to the M50i when I was clearly willing and ready to spend the extra money. They discouraged me from ordering one, and I ended up going with peace of mind of the 40i, more cash in my pocket and better gas mileage.
Unfortunately, BMW has made the B&W audio exclusive to the M50i now, and that's something many of us wanted on our X7's. Makes it more frustrating to consider a 40i.
Appreciate 2