View Single Post
      07-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #225
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
I debated until the last minute. I decided to buy.

1) your 1st reason (reliabilty) might be a stronger reason to buy instead of lease. With lease, your stuck with it. I'm guessing that if you had leased that Tesla X you would still be driving it??

2) I've not leased before, but have been told the numbers are not favorable now. I ran 3 year projections with expected resale values at 36 months if I bought vs total lease costs. If I recall, I used resale values that were about 3-4% less than the RV on the lease. It was a about $2000 less total cost at 36 months to lease. I also had a trade in to save $2000 on purchase sales tax. Had I not had that, it would have been $4000 less to lease.

3) for $2000 more, I decided it was worth that to be able to sell the car early if we didn't like it or if it had reliability issues. Additinally, if we liked it and no major issues, we could keep it past 36 month (which is another reason to buy).

If you know you will flip the car at 36 months, you should probably just lease. For us, we expected to either be much less than that or 12-24 months longer. = buy.

I hope this helps.
FWIW, here is my take on your lease vs buy decision for x7:
1) reliabilty - if you are willing to sell the car early because of poor reliability, you will most likely not do well on the resale. Lease residuals of 60% are very good compared to recent history. You can also swap a lease to get out early (I assume BMW allows it but am not 100% sure). If reliability is a concern, I would rather lease.

2) lease deals today on x7 are superior to purchase if you are willing to negotiate and are not looking to keep your car beyond three years. Using max MSDs (if allowed) makes leases even more attractive (~8-10% return on money). If you keep the car long-term, then you will always do better with a purchase.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0