View Single Post
      05-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Yes, emissions is part of the reason, but...

Porsche knew the 718 would be a hot seller in the Chinese market where they have a focus on right now. And I hate to say it (but I will), they are very brand conscience as a country and just having a 'Porsche' logo on their car is enough to grab the interest of many a sport car driver in China. To the point where engine/exhaust sound means very little unless we are talking about the true sports car enthusiast (which there are in China, not denying that).

The amount of wealth flooding China is very appealing to all car makers right now... and Porsche is definitely on top of that list.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/econ...st-explains-17

The 718 is very capable, but except for the new GT4 (if it is NA 6), I just couldn't spend that kind of dough on a 4 banger. Would be tough... The moment I heard Porsche was putting a 4 turbo in the new Cayman, my interest for the M2 and its upcoming iterations (as well as other brands), got much higher. Who knows, maybe some kind of 911 in the future, but for now I am excited for the new M2s and the very reasonable price it is going for. A 718 GTS for almost $100,000 with some decent options just seems..off.

Car looks beautiful in Chalk though!
Oh yeah one can make some money selling luxary cars in China.
Appreciate 0