Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
I can tell you from first hand experience, if you can drive your M2 well, a GTS cannot get away from an M2 and twisty B Roads.

You can see the one I was out playing with in the background of the picture with my car.
It always comes down to the driver. The Cayman is a better balanced car, lighter, has a lower CG and arguably better looking.
The M2 has room for 4, a real trunk, a 6 cylinder engine for a lot less money, and is very close in performance. But with equal drivers, on a track, I bet the Cayman is a second or two quicker per lap on an average length course.

For me, as a long time BMW owner, I'd still rather own a M2, because of practicality, even though I would rather have the Cayman the 6-8 days out of the year that I go to the track.

What I don't like about the Cayman is that it's no 911. Although it is a better balanced car, the fact that they artificially de-tune it, to not knock the king of the thrown, is BS. I do think the 911 is better looking abd it also has a bit more room with the 2 rear seats, albeit just for kids.

I was just at the track on Monday and the paddock was full of P cars. I have to say, at least for me, the Cayman's just blend in, whereas the 911's are still what get's your attention. A friend of mine brought his new 991.2 GTS and allowed me to take it out for a few laps. Pretty amazing machine. Here is the thing about Porsche's. This car was bone stock and with my friend in the passenger side (so an extra 200 lbs), on stock tires and stock brake pads, I managed to get within just a couple of seconds of my best time in my e46 M3, which has most of the track mods you can do....track pads, suspension, camber plates, R-comp tires, tune, exhaust, 200 lbs weight reduction and on an on. With a little more seat time in the GTS, I would probably be just as fast or faster in this car, on street tires and street pads, and of course way quicker if changing that stuff.
Long story short. Porsche's are a bit more ready for track (ab)use than M cars, and that is where the difference lies IMHO. They are true sports cars whereas BMW M cars are sporty cars, but offer more practicality.
I agree, on track the GTS with an equal driver would take the M2
Appreciate 2
norMcal284.50