View Single Post
      03-09-2024, 05:30 PM   #2100
PeteSD
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 Xdrive40i

[QUOTE=jphcbpa;30972056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSD View Post
Funny, drove up to Santa Barbara from San Diego to buy an X5M Comp and came home with this X7... go figure! Also tried out an X5 M60i and wasnt feeling that either. Drove about halfway through the parking lot of dealership and knew this was the one! Walked away with it at invoice. Bought from Jeff Knepp w/Santa Barbara BMW Internet Dept. and was a painless experience.

Congratulations ! I have been thinking of changing from my x7, in a couple of years once my kid is driving, and thinking either x5m60 or X5m to get the last v8 before the redesign in 2026. What were your thoughts on those two ?
The X5M Comp was fun, but tire noise was not. I kinda expected it, but it was pretty loud. The M60i was much more relaxed and I was more comfortable pushing it hard than the X5M. However, I don't want a car that forces rear wheel steering on you as standard.

The X5 seemed a little small inside and constricting in back. Personally, I would not want to take an X5M on a long road trip and looked at it as more of a $128,000 toy than daily driver. After driving the bonkers X5M and quick X5M60i, there was no way I was going to move forward on my X5 40i order that was in-transit. It would have been a real let down performance wise.

I'm almost 6'3 and 240lbs., so the X7 was a lot more comfortable and seemed to have wider seat backs. I have two English Labradors, so think I went the right direction w/the larger vehicle. You also get a lot more bang for your buck with a base X7 than base X5. I really like the relaxed demeanor of the X7 and buttery smooth ride. The six cylinder is plenty for this particular vehicle and it's mission.

I also had a GLS450 on order last month, but backed out of that. I know it's stupid, but couldn't get past those fake exhaust tips (same thing with the GLE450). Looked at Audi, but don't think any of their SUV's have second row windows that drop all the way down into the door... my dogs gave two paws down.

Last edited by PeteSD; 03-09-2024 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa316.00