View Single Post
      08-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

VO Might be Faster but AW sounded Better!

Disclosure, just attention getting headline! : )

Seriously though, my July build AW 1M had a gnarly cold start every morning. It would go up to around 1500 RPM and shake the whole house. It would hold it for several seconds then take a step down to about 1200 RPM, then another stop down to about 800 RPM, then idle. You could also hear it a block away. I pick up my German mechanic best friend every Saturday for cars and coffee at 5 am and he could hear my old AW 1M coming a block away. Now my August build, bone stock Canadian 1M only holds the cold start at about 1100 RPM and quickly drops to 800, then idle in a matter of seconds. No house shaking roar. I picked him up yesterday and he didn't hear me coming until I turned up his street at 5 AM.

Is anyone away of an exhaust or engine management system flash that affected cold start and or exhaust sound in later build 1Ms?

The current VO 1M is supposedly identical to my old AW unit and even has the US EPA and California CARB decal so I doubt it's much different.

I am wondering if anyone had some sort of software flash that changed their cold start behavior? The cold start roar was my favorite part of the 1M.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0