01-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #31
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
I was at the race and would disagree this was an easy win. The M8 was only faster on the banking, especially from the bus stop to turn 1 than the Porsche’s and Corvette’s. Both those cars were much better on the brakes and infield than the BMW’s. Ultimately it was fuel strategy that got them ahead in the last hour. It was a great race to watch, but actually doesn’t bode well for the M8 the rest of the season as there strength will be limited to courses with long straight aways.

It is interesting that Crohn ran a 1:42 in his last stint, but I think that had more to do with pushing hard at the end to stay ahead and no longer needing to save the car than sandbagging. The Porsche’s are stout and will likely dominate the rest of the year.
^ finally someone who actually knows what happens

this was definitely not a BOP race and IMSA used the M8 as the baseline car to determine BOP. they really did shine with pace on the long straights when they could put the power down. but this will be an interesting year since there's not many tracks where they can power themselves to a podium like Road Atlanta and MoSport (assuming they have favorable BOP for those races)

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 1
Pic18303.50