View Single Post
      11-28-2023, 12:05 AM   #49
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeko View Post
Interesting, thanks for clarifying all this! Out of curiosity, do you know if the OE dampers also only adjust rebound?

I'm also looking forward to the answers to Dave's questions as well
The EDC adjusts the valving for both rebound and compression. The EDC control when hooked up to the R1 will do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstruo View Post
Any word or ETA on their lift kit for F87?
Not yet - I feel like they are going to lag behind a little while the concentrate on getting the first wave of the electron kits out. Will certainly update as I get more info. They will be universal fit so will not have to wait for platform specific applications. And will also be able to be retrofitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm going to beat this topic to death, but I can't stop thinking about the joys of an improved EDC solution. I'd say I'm an EDC maxi/fanboy. I refuse to give up the functionality for a dedicated set of manually adjustable coilovers. I'm also a fan of OGshark and the fact that he tunes suspension on this platform. I believe that this is super important for getting the most out of a product. When the time comes it is why I've chosen Nitron. I haven't made a purchase yet and my financial circumstance could change at any moment. However, I’m focused on making a set of OGshark nitrons my next upgrade. Since I'm also a fan of these Nitrons I'll share my thoughts and questions here with hope that it helps someone else that is contemplating a suspension upgrade.
I’ve spent more time than I’d care to admit researching compression, rebound, valves, adjustment techniques and BMW EDC. It raises some questions and concerns about my use case and what will fit best. A lot of this won’t be known until the eTron testing is complete. Please correct any of my inaccuracies. I’ve tried to digest a lot and may have misinterpreted some concepts.

1. BMW EDC electronically controls compression and rebound using a number of user inputs to help the car brake sooner and remain level in all driving conditions (Be sure your ride level sensors are adjusted correctly if you’ve lowered your car or messed with the LCAs) The system is adjusting dynamically. We are aware of the 3 user settings.
a. Unknowns: Are the 3 settings starting points and the car can use the entire range of comfort/sport/sport + to adjust, or does each of these settings have a fixed range of adjustment and different weighting applied to the ride leveling logic?

ChatGPT4: In BMW vehicles equipped with Electronic Damper Control (EDC) and multiple suspension settings, such as Comfort, Sport, and Sport+, each setting has its own dynamic range. These ranges are distinct and tailored to specific driving conditions and preferences:
1. Comfort Mode: This setting ensures the most comfortable ride by utilizing a softer range of the suspension's capabilities. It's designed for everyday driving, prioritizing smoothness and comfort over sporty handling.
2. Sport Mode: Sport mode adjusts the suspension to a firmer setting, enhancing the vehicle's dynamics and handling. This mode is suitable for more spirited driving, where tighter control and reduced body roll are desirable.
3. Sport+ Mode: The Sport+ setting further stiffens the suspension, offering the most dynamic and sporty driving experience. It maximizes handling performance, often at the expense of some ride comfort, making it ideal for enthusiastic driving or track conditions.
Each mode uses a specific portion of the suspension's dynamic range, optimized for the intended driving experience. The system does not use the entire range in all settings but adjusts within predetermined limits based on the selected mode.

2. High speed compression seems to be what will control the drivers perception of comfort. Think of hitting manhole covers in a road where they are sunk in a bit. Hard quick hit.

3. Rebound high/low can’t be denied because it controls how the vehicle is set for subsequent bumps. One and done bumps might not exacerbate a poorly tuned rebound. Multiple bumps or rolling undulations will. The latter might be low speed rebound but I’m not sure. I think most dampers 3 way and below are high speed rebound. Low speed rebound seems useful if you have the time to really fine tune on a track, but I don’t see much use on the street. I’m thinking it helps ensure the lifting wheel in a turn remains planted without disrupting the car in a turn or transition. My perception is that most street interactions are high speed when it comes to comfort.

4. Low speed compression is not going to be attributed so much to ride comfort as it will to being able to control body roll from side to side (cornering) and front to back (braking/on throttle). Also how a care transitions in corners is helped with low speed.

5. High speed bleed off adjustment. I can’t see when this would be necessary on a street car unless you hit a manhole and the cover wasn’t there Or really harsh roads that have lots of big, wheel damaging, pot holes.

What does it all mean? How will it all work?

I think we all want to envision and electronic suspension as a computer controlled 5 way damper. The reality is that I think most are a 2 way (BMW EDC, Nitron e-R1) The odd duck is the e-R3 and how it will actually work when paired with EDC.

R3: On a street car I would make the argument that a 3 way damper is going to allow you the best ride comfort for a given spring rate while still allowing the ability to not compromise track day performance. You can dial in the high speed compression to your specific commute. You hit the same bumps and road imperfections every day. Same with the rebound. You can adjust his to your situation. Someone like OGShark that has tuned the dampers on track can give a great starting point for both street and track settings. Likely minimizing or eliminating the need to spend much time on your track day messing with settings.

R1: Seems like this would be the best compromise and choice if you want to optimize for the track and be tolerable for the street. Keep the springs stiff enough for body roll control and most of the valve is a high speed compression/rebound combo.

It seems to me that the E-tron R1 is most closely related to what EDC is used to using. An electronic damper that simultaneously controls compression/rebound. If the E-tron R3 is only controlling rebound electronically, then how is the R3 going to reach synergy with the BMW EDC? It seems to me that it will lose some of its ability to control body roll. The car is going to think it’s adjusting something that it isn’t so it’s only going to be getting half of it’s request. Can ride leveling be controlled by rebound alone when it seems like low speed compression control is what is needed for this.

Counter argument to this is that if your springs are stiff enough, and your high speed and low speed compression are dialed in. How much work is the EDC really going to need to do? Which begs the question. Were all the EDC naysayers correct? Ditch the EDC and get a good 3-way manual damper?

All of this is to say that I’m super curious I can’t wait to see what comes out of the testing. I think there is a chance that the e-R1 comes out on top due to the current performance from the R1, No need for user adjustment, and price. Especially if comfort/sport/sport + can be optimized for different scenarios like street, backroads, track or wet/dry/track. I’m also impatiently hoping that somehow the e-R3 blows us away.
I agree - the R3 is the wild card right now. I have a pretty good idea what we are going to get with the R1 and believe it will be as good as expected. The R3 however is a bit of uncharted territory. That is what is first up for us though so we will start having some answers here pretty soon
Appreciate 0