09-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you're new to this you really can't go wrong with any of the entry level DSLR cameras by Canon or Nikon. Canon Rebel XTi (400D) or the Nikon D80. Canon just updated the Rebel, so the previous version 350D (Rebel XT) is a smoking deal right now if you want to get a starter cam.

Make sure you want an SLR and not just a really good camera. The main advantage is interchangeable lenses. As Nikki can demonstrate, you don't need an SLR to take great photos.

A friend of mine bought an SLR just to get the best camera possible and it really wasn't the best choice for him. He only uses it in automatic mode and only uses the kits lens which is mediocre at best.

SLRs are about choice and control. Once you get into it, you will learn that the camera itself is less important to your photography than your technique and your choice of lenses. Buying lenses is addictive and can be expensive, so go SLR only if you're ready to starting dropping $$.

Finally, there's lots of good information in the forums at www.dpreview.com

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my camera. If you're looking for a cheap starter camera, my used Canon 300D might be available soon for eBay money.