BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > EBC Yellow/Bluestuff vs. Federo Ds 2500 - Dual Duty Car

05-05-2024, 12:22 AM   #1
boba7523
Private
Rep
Drives: m2c

EBC Yellow/Bluestuff vs. Federo Ds 2500 - Dual Duty Car

Hi all,

I am deciding on which brake pads to get as my OEM pads that came with the 2NH brake is about to be used up.

I've done some research and people have generally recommended the Federo DS 2500, but I came across a thread where people had positive experience with the EBC Yellowstuff and Bluestuff.

This is my DD with aggressive street driving, monthly canyon carving, and will see about 4-5 track days per year.

I'm looking for brake pads to satisfy the above with decent wear.

I'm a beginner track and definitely don't drive close to 8/10, but would like brake pads that will give me confidence on the track.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 11:17 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba7523 View Post
Hi all,

I am deciding on which brake pads to get as my OEM pads that came with the 2NH brake is about to be used up.

I've done some research and people have generally recommended the Federo DS 2500, but I came across a thread where people had positive experience with the EBC Yellowstuff and Bluestuff.

This is my DD with aggressive street driving, monthly canyon carving, and will see about 4-5 track days per year.

I'm looking for brake pads to satisfy the above with decent wear.

I'm a beginner track and definitely don't drive close to 8/10, but would like brake pads that will give me confidence on the track.

Thank you!
My 2 cents.

If you can tolerate the brake dust the stock pads are quite good. When you push them too hard they fade, but seem to only fade to a certain predictable point. On track I had to get on the brakes sooner, but it was consistent.

I've recently changed to carbotech 1521 and they dust much less than stock. I don't plan to test them on track because it would be a waste of time and money. I wouldn't risk running the 1521 on mountain runs. Too risky. I'll swap in track pads for that.

Depending on your tolerance for noise I ran the xp12 for 6mo. Dusts less than stock. I like the feel for DD. They don't fade on track. However, they got crazy noisy.

In hindsight I think the pads started making noise where they sit on the caliper pins. I'm wondering if I had used some permatex high temp grease on the pistons, pins, and pad edges if it would have knocked out the noise. Street and mountain driving likely wouldn't overcome the temp limits of the grease. I plan to try it the next time I swap in the xp12s.

Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, 8 oz., Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/3vNo9jV

If you're doing that many track days you'll quickly exceed the limits of a multi use pad
      05-06-2024, 12:49 PM   #3
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
I've got the bluestuff and absolutely love these pads.

I mostly track but go to car meets occasionally, never swap pads.

If you push incredibly dusty but otherwise for the money I found a dual purpose pad.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:41 PM   #4
CBUS_TR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82, 2017 F87, 2023 G80

Hawk dtc 60

2 cents: if you’re doing any track days upgrade to full track pads for safety if nothing else. I’d also flush the system with high temp brake fluid. You can use the brake fluid year round. Just be sure the dealer knows not to flush it with regular fluid during regular maintenance (ask me how I know). I’ve been running HAWK pads at the track for decades. DTC 60 work great in the M2 and are really easy to swap with a top load caliper.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 10:46 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I run the DS2500 for both street and track, love them (especially that fcp will keep replacing them for free). Have no experience with EBC's to compare. And I run the Motul 660 fluid that is high temp, but also low-visc DOT4 so it works right with the ABS/DTC.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 08:44 PM   #6
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

I’ve run DS2500 on track, and my driving skill eventually got to the point where I would go through a set of front pads in 2-3 days. I earned the right to go to full track pads. I moved to DTC60 pads in the front only, and keeping DS2500 on the rear because they aren’t wearing much. It takes and extra 3 minutes per side to swap the brake pads when I am switching to/from my track wheels. High temp brake fluid is a must. I use Castrol SRF and change it once a year at the beginning of the season. I’ve used Motul 660 as well in the past. Goodridge steel braided brake lines are a worthwhile upgrade as well for track safety and pedal feel.

TLDR if you’re still working to gain a consistent fast pace on track, you can get by with DS2500 in the front, especially since you can take advantage of the FCP Euro Lifetime. You’ll know when you HAVE to move up in pad, and it might be years before you have to.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 1