BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Very "Expensive" Dealership Oil Change

05-10-2024, 01:47 PM   #1
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Very "Expensive" Dealership Oil Change

Well, I went in to get my 1st annual oil change, with 950 miles on the '24 XB7's odometer.

Asked the SA to ensure that the steering wheel not be returned with oil on it....please keep the blue and green stitching clean...and don't mess up that Lavalina leather.

He was annoyed to say the least.

15 minutes into checking in, the Lot-driver folks were moving up the cars, and.....(picture should explain itself)....

"Pissed" might be an understatement......
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 05-10-2024 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:15 PM   #2
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

That's unfortunate and I'm sorry it happened to you.

I guess the good news is the damage doesn't seem to be significant and your car is already at the shop that can fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:35 PM   #3
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

if your dealer isnt a CCRC, i would insist they have that fixed at one at their cost. and no blending.
https://my.bmwusa.com/ccrc
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:47 PM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Unfortunately, the Dealership is pushing this toward "our" POV insurance companies to deal with this siruation.

Nobody saw what happened, and the dealership is saying the owner of the car that rear ended me did the damage, but he claims otherwise....

This is going to be fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:49 PM   #5
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

sorry to hear about this. Everytime I take my car to the dealer for service, seeing the kiddos driving the cars around, I am worried something like may happen to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:54 PM   #6
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
if your dealer isnt a CCRC, i would insist they have that fixed at one at their cost. and no blending.
https://my.bmwusa.com/ccrc
The dealership is NOT CCRC, and outsources everything, including changing out wiper blades, so it seems.

The dealership is an independent.

They typically go out of their way to ensure 100% customer service, which is why I chose them for the oil change, but their outsourced body shop doesn't give two shits about BMW (or an Alpina)...and it's over 20 miles away, right on the border of the US & Mexico.

If that shop is used, my expectation is going to be set low...which is why I'm already sold on selling the car. My OCD will consume me if I don't.

When ever I get through this, I bet the oil change won't get done....oh the irony.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 05-10-2024 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #7
MADBMWX5MC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Dang, that sucks, let us know how it turns out....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 08:05 PM   #8
ledphut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Keep in mind that if an insurance company handles the repair cost the accident will show up on the Carfax. That means SIGNIFICANT diminished value.

I had a gazebo fly off a neighbor’s roof and (almost kill me) scratch the side of my X5. When I went to trade in for a new Bimmer the dealership wouldn’t touch it as it cannot be CPO’d due to the Carfax.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 12:50 AM   #9
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
Keep in mind that if an insurance company handles the repair cost the accident will show up on the Carfax. That means SIGNIFICANT diminished value.

I had a gazebo fly off a neighbor’s roof and (almost kill me) scratch the side of my X5. When I went to trade in for a new Bimmer the dealership wouldn’t touch it as it cannot be CPO’d due to the Carfax.
Just curious: can you hold the insurance company accountable for the diminished value in addition to the actual repair cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 01:20 AM   #10
25X740i
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Unfortunately, the Dealership is pushing this toward "our" POV insurance companies to deal with this siruation.

Nobody saw what happened, and the dealership is saying the owner of the car that rear ended me did the damage, but he claims otherwise....

This is going to be fun.
I would definitely ask for any security camera footage of the area during that time. I would assume most businesses with expensive equipment and vehicles around would have them. Might prove who was driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 01:24 AM   #11
25X740i
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Just curious: can you hold the insurance company accountable for the diminished value in addition to the actual repair cost?
I have in the past. I don’t remember the technical term for that but the insurance company did it. I was told it was a one time thing though, so not sure if it would payoff on a new vehicle. I was about to trade mine off when it happened, so it worked out well for me.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2024, 05:21 AM   #12
keg97
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25X740i View Post
I would definitely ask for any security camera footage of the area during that time. I would assume most businesses with expensive equipment and vehicles around would have them. Might prove who was driving.
This! Plus we all need to have dash cams with rear cameras. I was rear ended a few weeks ago in our Audi and when the elderly man started to hem and haw about something, I just casually asked if he wanted to watch the footage. He stopped.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 08:11 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

This is a nightmare scenario I always think about when my vehicles are in service. I have a “Do not wash” order in my chart and put plastic disposable seat protectors over the seat for that day of service and an older BMW floor mat only on the drivers side.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 10:00 AM   #14
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
This! Plus we all need to have dash cams with rear cameras. I was rear ended a few weeks ago in our Audi and when the elderly man started to hem and haw about something, I just casually asked if he wanted to watch the footage. He stopped.
+1.
i have stand alone cams facing front, rear and to the side.

viofo A139 pro for the front and garmin mini 2s for the sides and rear. all independent of each other.
the drive recorder is not ideal as it only saves the recordings if you have what it believes is an accident (it wont trigger on a low speed impact) or you have to have your wits about you to hit and hold the parking button within 20 seconds of the event to manually save.

i have a 512gb card in the front cam (4k recordings) and 256gb for the sides and rear. stores at least 8 hours of the past drive time.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 10:10 AM   #15
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This is a nightmare scenario I always think about when my vehicles are in service. I have a “Do not wash” order in my chart and put plastic disposable seat protectors over the seat for that day of service and an older BMW floor mat only on the drivers side.
Nice to know there are others like me on this note.

I put old mats in the vehicle, ones that do not have a $75 Alpina metal logo on each mat, and asked them to not wash my vehicle AND do not clean the interior.

I once only asked do not wash, and I got my E93 ///M3 cabriolet back unwashed but the interior had a full silicone based interior dressing running off of every vertical surface, was even applied to the brake pedal and accelerator...and I had Full Merino leather. The SA tried to frantically wipe it off and of course it didn't. Sold the car shortly after.

The kids working in service don't know the difference between pedigree of cars at all, at any dealership. They are merely Appliances to them and treated accordingly. Don't be fooled that you get better treatment according to the price you paid for your car....you don't.

Caught my SA ripping up on my 911 on a 5 mile highway drive on his way to "pull it into the service bay" after I dropped it off for an oil change, as he passed me on the highway in my own car. It was screaming. Lucky my engine was warmed up when I dropped it off.

A free $120 oil change, that I was debating on doing myself, turned into this situation.

And they refused to replace my windshield wipers. Reason? Too low mileage....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 10:45 AM   #16
Zer00
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
Sorry OP. I hate taking my car in for service. I used to look forward to driving loaners for the day but now I just wait at the dealership to minimize time in their hands. I also make sure to tell them to not wash it.
Appreciate 1
ledphut227.50
      05-11-2024, 11:00 AM   #17
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Nice to there are others like me on this note.

I put old mats in the vehicle, ones that do not have a $75 Alpina metal logo on each mat, and asked them to not wash my vehicle AND do not clean the interior.

I once only asked do not wash, and I got my E93 ///M3 cabriolet back unwashed but the interior had a full silicone based interior dressing running off of every vertical surface, was even applied to the brake pedal and accelerator...and I had Full Merino leather. The SA tried to frantically wipe it off and of course it didn't. Sold the car shortly after.

The kids working in service don't know the difference between pedigree of cars at all, at any dealership. They are merely Appliances to them and treated accordingly. Don't be fooled that you get better treatment according to the price you paid for your car....you don't.

Caught my SA ripping up on my 911 on a 5 mile highway drive on his way to "pull it into the service bay" after I dropped it off for an oil change, as he passed me on the highway in my own car. It was screaming. Lucky my engine was warmed up when I dropped it off.

A free $120 oil change, that I was debating on doing myself, turned into this situation.

And they refused to replace my windshield wipers. Reason? Too low mileage....
I am an absolute monster with my vehicles and both my BMW and Porsche dealerships know this but also advertise with my vehicles. They are terrified to even move them when I drop them off and only the certified mechanic is allowed to drive them in.
My BMW dealership has framed posters on their service center walls of some of my concourse winning vehicles that were used in detailing advertisements. I am a 30+ year PCA concourse judge and competitor with many product sponsorships. I actually do tutorials on detailing at both dealerships. I do technical advisor work like appraisals and condition assessments on classic/higher end Porsche vehicles if they come in as a trade to their BMW store, etc… I give back to both dealerships and they extend me a lot of extra courtesies. For example, I have very limited #full bespoke Exclusive Manufaktur 911 with their custom $2800 Carbon Fiber floor mats that when I take it in for its oil change, the slip reads “Dont step on floor mats, use service covers.”

Last edited by MystroX5; 05-11-2024 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 01:30 PM   #18
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Whenever I drop my vehicle off at a dealer I always insist that they write "NO DAMAGE" on the Work order and sign that. Some are reluctant to do that,
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 03:35 PM   #19
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

OP…that’s sucks. Sorry you have to deal with that.

I used to be pretty hardcore with the care of my X7…until I got rear ended. It was repaired by a CCRC and I received medical comp and diminished value comp. Repair was like new and you can’t tell there’s any damage. Paint was blended and it looks near perfect. They had to replace the lower tailgate, bumper cover, and a whole bunch of other things associated with those areas.

Now I drive it without really caring if something happens. Obviously I don’t want to get into any accident and get hurt, but I no longer care if the dealer washes it. I ran over a curb yesterday and kept on going. I opened the door at the airport parking garage and slammed the door into the concrete pillar…no damage, but wasn’t really concerned.

I haven’t checked the carfax, so won’t know if anything is on there. Not sure but someday I’ll trade it in and probably take a hit if there’s a record. Hoping I negotiated the diminished value amount right.

To me it’s just a car now, gets me from point a to b, but in style and comfort.
Appreciate 2
Tinbad147.00
dds007420.50
      05-11-2024, 04:48 PM   #20
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
To me it’s just a car now, gets me from point a to b, but in style and comfort.
Exactly. I used to be of the mindset that anything I own, but especially my vehicles, need to be in perfect condition at all times. Countless hours and funds were spent on PPF, ceramic coatings, kids were yelled at for leaving foot prints or bringing in food.

I still like to wash my own cars and keep them clean however stuff happens and I’m not going to worry about it. Once you realize you’re on this planet once and there’s not much you really control it’s pretty liberating to just let go.

That said, it really sucks OP and I hope the dealer will make it right to your satisfaction. Just try for it not to get to you and your happiness.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2024, 09:05 AM   #21
ledphut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbad View Post
I still like to wash my own cars and keep them clean however stuff happens and I’m not going to worry about it. Once you realize you’re on this planet once and there’s not much you really control it’s pretty liberating to just let go.

Well said! I learned this the hard (but fast) way literally the day after I picked up my XB7. I was coming from a 750i that had the doors that stayed in position no matter how far they were opened; a true luxury feature! I mistakenly thought the X7 was the same and found out quickly that wasn’t the case as the rear door caught the detent and opened right onto a chain link fence.. I strung together about 50 curse words in disbelief to what just happened, but then laughed it off because in the grand scheme of things it’s totally irrelevant.

Long story short: DON’T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!
Appreciate 1
Tinbad147.00