E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > guide for buying from a private seller nyc

05-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
opulencenj
Rep
Drives: nothing yet

guide for buying from a private seller nyc

hey guys, ive been lurking the e90post forums for awhile, i finally found the car that has everything i want, the only thing left is to actually buy it. this is going to be my first time buying a car from a private seller so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
what did you bring, what did he/she bring.
what were some of the questions you asked, and what were some of the things you checked.
what are some things to look out for.
can i drive it home? what do i need in order to do that.
how was the trip to the dmv, did u pay any taxes for the car you bought, did you avoid it? how so?

one last thing, ive shopped around a couple of insurance companies in nyc and the best ive found so far is from progressive. my quote is about 450 a month. im 19 and have had my license for less than a year. will i find better? or should i just go with this.
i will be paying everything myself, my parents do not have a car nor insurance so ill be on my own.
any input would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
ilidon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
try geico for your insurance. when i shopped before, progressive gave me a higher one.

[IMG]http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opulencenj View Post
hey guys, ive been lurking the e90post forums for awhile, i finally found the car that has everything i want, the only thing left is to actually buy it. this is going to be my first time buying a car from a private seller so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
what were some of the questions you asked, and what were some of the things you checked.
how was the trip to the dmv, did u pay any taxes for the car you bought, did you avoid it? how so?

one last thing, ive shopped around a couple of insurance companies in nyc and the best ive found so far is from progressive. my quote is about 450 a month. im 19 and have had my license for less than a year. will i find better? or should i just go with this.
i will be paying everything myself, my parents do not have a car nor insurance so ill be on my own.
thanks

$450 a month for insurance?! I'm 20 and we just got a used 2008 E90 335i and our insurance only went up $67/month for three drivers (me and my parents).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
opulencenj
Rep

i think its because your on your parents insurance, ive never had insurance, ill be under just me. how was ur used car buying experience NiVeDh
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
socaldz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SOLD: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:

thanks
Check the carfax... let me know. send me the VIN... I still have a valid account with carfax i can run it for you...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
i think its because your on your parents insurance, ive never had insurance, ill be under just me. how was ur used car buying experience NiVeDh
I bought it from eBay Motors from a non-BMW dealership in Costa Mesa, CA. The seller posted ~200 pictures in the listing and had a really good description of the car. They even mentioned that it was a "manufacturer buyback" meaning the title had been permanently branded with the "lemon" designation due to the infamous HPFP problems. I confirmed the lemon status with CarFax's free lemon check and then ran an Autocheck report which also showed that. It did not show any other problems and the car itself seemed to be in great condition.

Since I am going to be keeping the car for several years, the lemon designation did not bother me - also, the problem was fixed by BMW NA and they even extended the warranty on the HPFP-related parts to 10 years/120k miles.

I made an offer on the car via eBay and the dealership called me back to confirm it. I got a good deal on it. As a matter of fact, the car is being shipped to me (I live in Atlanta, GA) as I am typing this. It is due for delivery on Saturday! I'm so excited. This week has been so long but the wait will be worth it I hope!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Dont be desperate. Find out everything bout the car bout carfax and check if any parts were repainted which means it was in a collision of some sort most likely. Also KEEP SHOPPING. There will always be better deals out there if you drive yourself more crazy and do more homework.. I know you live in NY but look at other states as well like CT NJ PA. It isnt bad idea to drive 100~300 miles to get a car you want with the best deal if its needed..You dont buy a car every other month like you go clothes shopping so take your time. I was too rushed when i got my car thats why i ended up with a xi that i regret and not having sports package and 18 rims and interior color and so much more.. Just because iw anted the one in the lot the day i decided to get a 335.
If you made up your mind make sure to check reports and paint jobs. Test drive the car of course. Check if it still has warranty see if the owner has maintance records etc..
Good luck on ur purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
$450 a month?! holy shit!

That's another car payment!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Vamshi
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i/prem/sport/xenon

The simplest way to buy a car with low price:

1. check the pricing in edmunds.com, nada.com and kbb.com
2. fix a price
3. take it to a bmw dealer and get it inspected (you gotta pay $100-250 for the entire inspection.
4. check the vehicle history from the bmw dealer using the key (gives you the description of the repairs/maintanance performed on the car etc..)..
5. google for the purchase and sale agreement...further negotiate price based on the vehicle condition.
6. give the original/copy to bank....
7. they give you the check...
8. that make you the owner on the private seller as ex-owner..

best of luck....

vamshi
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
TaTaToothy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i and 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
$450 a month?! holy shit!

That's another car payment!
No kidding - that is mind-boggling money. It's hard to see making a financial case for it unless the OP is independently wealthy.

2002 M3 - 6MT - Jet Black over black leather - Xenon, power seats and H/K - no sunroof
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
opulencenj
Rep

yea as high as 450 sounds, thats by far the lowest ive been quoted, what were some of your rates as 19 year olds, did anyone get their own insurance without your parents at that age?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

$450 a month?!!! Holy shit!! I pay $1020 for the whole year and I live in NJ.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
TaTaToothy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i and 2002 M3

Quote:
yea as high as 450 sounds, thats by far the lowest ive been quoted, what were some of your rates as 19 year olds, did anyone get their own insurance without your parents at that age?
I did but it was on a much less valuable and slower car than a 335i. My insurance now for my 330i is around $600/year (though I am much older than you and live in a far cheaper place to insure cars)!

2002 M3 - 6MT - Jet Black over black leather - Xenon, power seats and H/K - no sunroof
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Well at 19 I was driving a Humvee, it was insured by Uncle Sam and had a .50 cal for an alarm system. Hoorah!!
Appreciate 0