BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

First family holiday in the M40i in UK

For those that may be interested, just back from a family holiday to the Lake District in the M40i. Overall covered 400 miles and overall mileage at 1,100 miles. So nearly at the magic 1,200!!!!

Overall, I am delighted with the car. It’s the first time my wife drove it, and she thought it was a huge step up from her X3 20d. The smile on her face when in sport said it all!

In terms of practicality - the car was great. Carried 4 passengers, bags and all the kids technology easily. There is a lot more space in the cabin than my 330d had.

The car just ate up the miles - seats comfortable and supportive (with lumbar support) and the adaptive suspension gives a very pleasant ride. I have back problems from an old injury and it was the first time for a while I got out of the car pain free! It is a great motorway cruiser.

Some people complain about the road noise, but its not an issue for me - think the acoustic glass really helps and at only £150 is a no brainer option!

The engine never missed a beat. Still breaking the car in - so never over 3.5k revs. Was in eco pro (not much), comfort (mostly) and the odd bit of sport (purely to get up to the speed limit!!!). The car cruised on the motorway easily and there was always loads of power to keep up with the traffic.

The odd stretch in sport was fantastic - the thing becomes a weapon and you really have to watch the speed! Joining the motorway in sport was a pleasure!!!!!

Passing slow moving cars on the roads round the Lake District were a breeze. As my car is debadged, you could see people surprised where the turn of speed (along with the noise!) came from!

I will leave the final word to my 4 year old daughter. When leaving at 0600 to head down she said..."Daddy sssshhhhh, you have to be quiet as people are still sleeping...your car is very noisy and very fast......"

Let me know if anybody wants to know anything else. Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 5
Slalom508.50
focker155.00
greg2step212.50
ando2006.00
Llarry16814.00
      04-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
bobbylechat
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: G01 30d M sport phytonic 726

Thanks for your feedback can't wait to have mine
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2789.50
      04-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylechat View Post
Thanks for your feedback can't wait to have mine
You won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
For those that may be interested, just back from a family holiday to the Lake District in the M40i. Overall covered 400 miles and overall mileage at 1,100 miles. So nearly at the magic 1,200!!!! Overall, I am delighted with the car ... sport was fantastic - the thing becomes a weapon and you really have to watch the speed! Joining the motorway in sport was a pleasure!!!!! Thanks for reading.
Thanks for your trip summary, Rbrown - a good reflection of how we felt with our first extended trip (and still do). And I agree with how the power curve really helps when joining those busy fast-moving highways. Usually Interstate ramps allow enough distance for most vehicles so acceleration time is not as critical from 0-75mph. But on Federal highways packed with vehicles travelling 50+mph and you have to merge from a complete stop, that is where it has proven itself many times. One I recall was when a Range Rover with black grills and performance wheels was in the outside lane and I was trying to enter the inside lane from a complete stop at a median access point with heavy traffic in both lanes. I know from past experience what our G01 is safely capable of achieving, so rather than wait another five minutes for a break in the flow, into Sport she went and I blended seamlessly in stride, quickly even passing him, in what was a very smooth transition for the other vehicles as they didn't have to apply any braking or manuevering.

The double take he did out his side window was priceless.
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2789.50
ando2006.00
      04-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
For those that may be interested, just back from a family holiday to the Lake District in the M40i. Overall covered 400 miles and overall mileage at 1,100 miles. So nearly at the magic 1,200!!!!

Overall, I am delighted with the car. It’s the first time my wife drove it, and she thought it was a huge step up from her X3 20d. The smile on her face when in sport said it all!

In terms of practicality - the car was great. Carried 4 passengers, bags and all the kids technology easily. There is a lot more space in the cabin than my 330d had.

The car just ate up the miles - seats comfortable and supportive (with lumbar support) and the adaptive suspension gives a very pleasant ride. I have back problems from an old injury and it was the first time for a while I got out of the car pain free! It is a great motorway cruiser.

Some people complain about the road noise, but its not an issue for me - think the acoustic glass really helps and at only £150 is a no brainer option!

The engine never missed a beat. Still breaking the car in - so never over 3.5k revs. Was in eco pro (not much), comfort (mostly) and the odd bit of sport (purely to get up to the speed limit!!!). The car cruised on the motorway easily and there was always loads of power to keep up with the traffic.

The odd stretch in sport was fantastic - the thing becomes a weapon and you really have to watch the speed! Joining the motorway in sport was a pleasure!!!!!

Passing slow moving cars on the roads round the Lake District were a breeze. As my car is debadged, you could see people surprised where the turn of speed (along with the noise!) came from!

I will leave the final word to my 4 year old daughter. When leaving at 0600 to head down she said..."Daddy sssshhhhh, you have to be quiet as people are still sleeping...your car is very noisy and very fast......"

Let me know if anybody wants to know anything else. Thanks for reading.
Great to hear your review and that you’re enjoying the vehicle.

My order arrives in 3 weeks and the Lakes are where I’ll be taking it too!

Cheers
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2789.50
      04-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRomeo View Post
Great to hear your review and that you’re enjoying the vehicle.

My order arrives in 3 weeks and the Lakes are where I’ll be taking it too!

Cheers
Great to hear it. Just watch out these speed traps and the tourists round there!

Look forward to seeing the pictures when it arrives - there aren't that many in the UK!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #7
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Great review! Thanks for sharing and cheers to more family road trips!
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2789.50
      04-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
With your comment about accelerating to the speed limit and your daughter's comment, I think we understand perfectly what happened there -- would you be so kind as to show your driver license to the constable? This won't take a minute...

Quote:
The engine never missed a beat. Still breaking the car in - so never over 3.5k revs. Was in eco pro (not much), comfort (mostly) and the odd bit of sport (purely to get up to the speed limit!!!)

Appreciate 1
Rbrown2789.50