F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Because I miss my 3 series...
proTUNING Freaks

12-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
sinuspain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i EBII

Because I miss my 3 series...

Long story short, my 335i finally got bought back after almost 6 months of going back and forth with bmw for limp mode/overheating issues. Ended up having the car for a year. I decided to get an asian car (lexus is350 fsport) but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss that EBII 335i msport with performance package. I decided to go with something more reliable and luxurious, but I miss the feel of the bmw. There's something unreplicable about the drive.

I miss u blue, I'll be back
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuspain
Long story short, my 335i finally got bought back after almost 6 months of going back and forth with bmw for limp mode/overheating issues. Ended up having the car for a year. I decided to get an asian car (lexus is350 fsport) but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss that EBII 335i msport with performance package. I decided to go with something more reliable and luxurious, but I miss the feel of the bmw. There's something unreplicable about the drive.

Ok
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33
Quote:

Ok
Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:

Sorry to hear. You did the right thing though going cold turkey and moving to a Lexus. Spend a few years on the other side and try to forget about this bad experience. Maybe you'll be back in a Bimmer sooner than you think. Enjoy the ride until then...

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

I feel for you. I tried a Mercedes C Class after my E92. I was depressed for a year, then got myself into an F30. The C Class is a decent car, but there's just something about driving a Bimmer that beats out the others.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

What is it that makes driving a BMW so special??

This is a serious question...

I havent driven anything else but BMWs... so i dont know what i am missing out on, or rather i should say: i dont know how much more i should appreciate driving BMWs, which i already am...

Or is is just in my (our) head and mind only...

Are we just imagining things or is it real ?

If it is real, how come we are not able to describe it to other people (despite driving BMW for decades..)?

What is it with the driving pleasure in a BMW?
(Please spare me any notion of badge... or brand loyalty... )

I can see myself buying and driving other cars, but i am just either not interested in or dont want to!
And i cant understand why.myself...

Help?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Everyone who has driven my F30, and the E39 before that, admits that there is something special about the way BMW drives compared to Audi, Benz, Lexus etc. Maybe it's just the complete package and the way it comes together. For me, I would describe it as confidence-inspiring to go faster, corner faster and brake later compared to other makes.

Any arguments about the badge are irrelevant. For a company to be able to charge big money for a "badge", there needs to be a lot of value behind that symbol. If you don't think that's true, try building your own car and slapping your name on the badge and see how well that sells. You can't just create a badge and say "I will charge big money for this just because...."
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
rodness
Criticizes inanimate objects
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had a similar experience, actually.

I had a 2009 335i (E90 LCI) and I loved it. The steering, the turbo low end torque, the cornering, loved it.

BUT.. it had an air conditioning problem they couldn't fix, and after a year and a half (including having them rip out the dash and rebuild the AC) I filed papers with the BBB and got the car bought back.

And (partly because my wife was so pissed at BMW about it) I went to Lexus, and drove a 2011 IS350 for the next four years.

Almost from the day I brought that Lexus home, I was missing the BMW. The Lexus really was a very nice car, (I mean other than the fact that it wouldn't know sporty handling if it crashed into an M6), but really, it's comfortable, it's quiet, it was pretty reliable, and its sticker was about 10k less than the 335i. Ultimately it just wasn't what I wanted. I was trying to drive it like a BMW, but it was born a Lexus.

My wife and I were already talking about getting another BMW because I was just so unhappy with the Lexus, but we were going to wait at least another year.

And then about two months ago, some idiot in a pickup rear-ended me in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway, and did enough underlying frame damage to my Lexus to get it totaled. To the Lexus' amazing credit, I didn't get so much as a scratch, I was completely and utterly unharmed.

Having learned my lesson, I went back to BMW, and got my current 2014 335i.... so much win.

And yes. There's just something about it. I was in traffic this morning on my way to work, and when the traffic finally opened up, just for the hell of it I put it in Sport mode and literally had a grin on my face for the rest of my drive.

I never grinned like that in the Lexus.

So I understand completely. Lexus is very, very nice. But it's just not the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodness
I had a similar experience, actually.

I had a 2009 335i (E90 LCI) and I loved it. The steering, the turbo low end torque, the cornering, loved it.

BUT.. it had an air conditioning problem they couldn't fix, and after a year and a half (including having them rip out the dash and rebuild the AC) I filed papers with the BBB and got the car bought back.

And (partly because my wife was so pissed at BMW about it) I went to Lexus, and drove a 2011 IS350 for the next four years.

Almost from the day I brought that Lexus home, I was missing the BMW. The Lexus really was a very nice car, (I mean other than the fact that it wouldn't know sporty handling if it crashed into an M6), but really, it's comfortable, it's quiet, it was pretty reliable, and its sticker was about 10k less than the 335i. Ultimately it just wasn't what I wanted. I was trying to drive it like a BMW, but it was born a Lexus.

My wife and I were already talking about getting another BMW because I was just so unhappy with the Lexus, but we were going to wait at least another year.

And then about two months ago, some idiot in a pickup rear-ended me in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway, and did enough underlying frame damage to my Lexus to get it totaled. To the Lexus' amazing credit, I didn't get so much as a scratch, I was completely and utterly unharmed.

Having learned my lesson, I went back to BMW, and got my current 2014 335i.... so much win.

And yes. There's just something about it. I was in traffic this morning on my way to work, and when the traffic finally opened up, just for the hell of it I put it in Sport mode and literally had a grin on my face for the rest of my drive.

I never grinned like that in the Lexus.

So I understand completely. Lexus is very, very nice. But it's just not the same.
It really is all about that grin. Bimmers do it for me, others don't. Even going out for a grocery run makes me happy.

Driving a 911 once gave me that grin, but that's an entirely different car...

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
What is it that makes driving a BMW so special??

This is a serious question...

I havent driven anything else but BMWs... so i dont know what i am missing out on, or rather i should say: i dont know how much more i should appreciate driving BMWs, which i already am...

Or is is just in my (our) head and mind only...

Are we just imagining things or is it real ?

If it is real, how come we are not able to describe it to other people (despite driving BMW for decades..)?

What is it with the driving pleasure in a BMW?
(Please spare me any notion of badge... or brand loyalty... )

I can see myself buying and driving other cars, but i am just either not interested in or dont want to!
And i cant understand why.myself...

Help?
I've owned an Infiniti G for 7 years (purchased new) and sold it to, of all people, my mother (she loved the car).

Whenever I visit the rents I'll take the ol G for a spin and I love driving it, mainly because it has the glorious feature of hydraulic power steering. The car isn't nearly as refined as my F30 is nor is it as fast (requires much more revving to get the engine going) but the Infiniti is a fantastic car to drive. Steering wise it's superior to the F30. Suspension wise it corners incredibly well and since it's hydraulic power steering, much more communicative for those days you want to go down a fun back road. I can't get that in the steering in the F30. The suspension thing I can get if I throw it in sport or sport plus modes, but the F30 is easier to live with everyday and about 98% of the fun I had in the Infiniti is available to me with the flip of a button. What the BMW lacks in steering feel it more than makes up for in refinement and sheer torque in the N55 compared to the VQ35HR engine in the G. Revving the N55 to redline puts a smile on my face every time, mostly with just how damn smooth that motor is. The VQ engine loves revs but the N55 mill seems to beg for them.

So BMW isn't the only company out there that makes fun to drive cars but their engines are some of the best you can get in a production car. The Infiniti made me smile on back roads, the BMW not so much (that's not to say it's not fun, it still is). The BMW makes me smile just by getting on the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Ulijin
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 430d m-sport

My history is as follows (oldest to newest):

audi a6 (2000 plate)
Mazda rx8 (2004 plate)
audi a4 (2005 plate)
BMW 335i e92 (2008 plate)
audi a6 s line 2.0 tdi (2012 plate)

and I've a 430d f32 on order. Roll on Feb 2015!

Every audi I've own has suffered from horrible understeer. It's just depressing to try even approaching the cornering ability of the car. I dunno why I keep forgetting this...

the Mazda rx8 was fun but even a sponge would manage to develop a rattle if built by Mazda... sorry mazda fans!

The 335i I loved. But I decided I needed to grow up and bought the latest audi a6 in 2013. after 1.5 years of hassle free motoring I can't wait to be rid of it!

BMW just make better engines and seem to have the ride comfort vs handling performance sorted. My folks have an F30 320d and even that little engine feels quick and the car handles so much better than my a6 boat.

Can't wait to be back!

OP - never tried a Lexus, hopefully I'll remember this post if I'm ever tempted!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

I agree with fecurtis up there. I too have a f30 and first genn infinitig35. Sure the f30 is beautiful, unbelievable engine, and much more modern cresture comforts, but thst hydraulic steerig tho! I have never had bmw prior to this so i csnt compare to an e92 or e46 which were hydraulic? All i know is thst the feel and communication is much better in my old G but in every other way the bmw is better.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff
I agree with fecurtis up there. I too have a f30 and first genn infinitig35. Sure the f30 is beautiful, unbelievable engine, and much more modern cresture comforts, but thst hydraulic steerig tho! I have never had bmw prior to this so i csnt compare to an e92 or e46 which were hydraulic? All i know is thst the feel and communication is much better in my old G but in every other way the bmw is better.
The E90 had hydraulic. I miss it every day, but my F31 is better in every other way.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

I just wish BMW can be reliable as Lexus. Me and my wife have 14 F25 3.5 M and 13 F30 and we love both cars and she is planing to keep the F30, but we worry about the long term liability. After the warranty expires, everything gets expensive and parts start to fail.

we are hoping to keep the F30 for the next 10 years before move on to M3.
      12-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I've owned an Infiniti G for 7 years (purchased new) and sold it to, of all people, my mother (she loved the car).

Whenever I visit the rents I'll take the ol G for a spin and I love driving it, mainly because it has the glorious feature of hydraulic power steering. The car isn't nearly as refined as my F30 is nor is it as fast (requires much more revving to get the engine going) but the Infiniti is a fantastic car to drive. Steering wise it's superior to the F30. Suspension wise it corners incredibly well and since it's hydraulic power steering, much more communicative for those days you want to go down a fun back road. I can't get that in the steering in the F30. The suspension thing I can get if I throw it in sport or sport plus modes, but the F30 is easier to live with everyday and about 98% of the fun I had in the Infiniti is available to me with the flip of a button. What the BMW lacks in steering feel it more than makes up for in refinement and sheer torque in the N55 compared to the VQ35HR engine in the G. Revving the N55 to redline puts a smile on my face every time, mostly with just how damn smooth that motor is. The VQ engine loves revs but the N55 mill seems to beg for them.

So BMW isn't the only company out there that makes fun to drive cars but their engines are some of the best you can get in a production car. The Infiniti made me smile on back roads, the BMW not so much (that's not to say it's not fun, it still is). The BMW makes me smile just by getting on the throttle.
I owned 03 G35 Coupe and 08 G37S coupe for the past years. I sold my G35 for upgrade to G37S and I own the car for about 7 years til my son was born last year, then I leased a F25 instead. I still miss my G a lot, both cars are fun to drive. The things that G gets me is the 3.7HR engine and nice exhaust sound. BMW 335i is always the car I want get since the time I got my G37S. The orignal plan was buying a 07 335I Coupe, but during that time I didn't have enough money (5K more than G37S) and plus the oil cooling issues they have. I dont regrat to get the 335i, but G37S (Q60?? Whatever they call it now) is still a fun car to drive.
      12-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

I hear ya on the reliability.

My 2007 Infiniti, with 13 miles on the odometer when I bought it had absolutely 0 issues during the 7 years of ownership and 80,000 miles that I put on it.

Now that my mom bought it from me, she's put about another 10,000 miles on it. Still no issues.

With my F30, purchased new in March of 2014 with 3 miles on the odometer (if that) I've had to replace the front acceleration sensor due to the fact that I got two "Chassis Malfunction" errors, had them look at a Drivetrain Malfunction error (never resolved), and the right rear bulb has already gone out and needed to be replace.

By far the least reliable car I've ever owned but they've all been very minor things and none of the issues were mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Sorry about the issues OP. It's even worse not to have the car you really want though.

Just lease the 335 or sell it before the warranty is up.

Life's too short to have a car you aren't interested in
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
I owned 03 G35 Coupe and 08 G37S coupe for the past years. I sold my G35 for upgrade to G37S and I own the car for about 7 years til my son was born last year, then I leased a F25 instead. I still miss my G a lot, both cars are fun to drive. The things that G gets me is the 3.7HR engine and nice exhaust sound. BMW 335i is always the car I want get since the time I got my G37S. The orignal plan was buying a 07 335I Coupe, but during that time I didn't have enough money (5K more than G37S) and plus the oil cooling issues they have. I dont regrat to get the 335i, but G37S (Q60?? Whatever they call it now) is still a fun car to drive.
That's crazy, that's the EXACT same reason I didn't get one. The $7k premium required for a similarly equipped 2007 335i and the oil cooling issues that were a problem at the time swayed me towards Infiniti. That and at the time I preferred the Infiniti gadgets and user interface over the, then, relatively new iDrive.

And yeah the car is now called a Q60, which now has worse steering than the F30 (but is still available with hydraulic power steering if you so wanted).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya on the reliability.

My 2007 Infiniti, with 13 miles on the odometer when I bought it had absolutely 0 issues during the 7 years of ownership and 80,000 miles that I put on it.

Now that my mom bought it from me, she's put about another 10,000 miles on it. Still no issues.

With my F30, purchased new in March of 2014 with 3 miles on the odometer (if that) I've had to replace the front acceleration sensor due to the fact that I got two "Chassis Malfunction" errors, had them look at a Drivetrain Malfunction error (never resolved), and the right rear bulb has already gone out and needed to be replace.

By far the least reliable car I've ever owned but they've all been very minor things and none of the issues were mechanical.
Oh...man. I would rather just lease the BMWs.
      12-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #20
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
Oh...man. I would rather just lease the BMWs.
I suppose using the word "purchase" was wrong, the BMW is actually leased...since I don't want to own a European luxury car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's crazy, that's the EXACT same reason I didn't get one. The $7k premium required for a similarly equipped 2007 335i and the oil cooling issues that were a problem at the time swayed me towards Infiniti. That and at the time I preferred the Infiniti gadgets and user interface over the, then, relatively new iDrive.

And yeah the car is now called a Q60, which now has worse steering than the F30 (but is still available with hydraulic power steering if you so wanted).
lol...so we both jump from MYG37.com to Bimmerpost.com?
      12-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
Darkfiber
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

I had 3 BMW's: e46 320d, e46 M3, e90 320d (chipped 218HP), I switched to a volvo daily and a Porsche (cayman weekend toy).... lasted a year... sold both and got a F30 320d as a daily again... I missed BMW despite having a Porsche...

To clarify,I drove the volvo daily (1.6 diesel, chipped to 140HP), and in the weekend with the family... I was really done with the car after a year... and ready to kill myself... such a boring slowwwwww car.... didnt have much time to drive the Cayman, sold both, got the F30 and really enjoy it as a daily, and family car... good all-rounder !
Appreciate 0