forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Default audio system/speakers

10-11-2021, 08:03 AM   #1
Raptor_pilot
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Question Default audio system/speakers

I ordered the 2022 X7 in early Sept and it is under production. I have selected the executive package. I noticed that the upgraded speakers are not offered anymore. Has anyone received 2022 model with default speakers? (i.e. not B&V or HK) How is your experience on the default speakers ?
I would presume a ~$100K vehicle comes with a good system
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Unfortunately it's terrible. Wait when you can get either of the other, preferably B&W.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
Raptor_pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
Unfortunately it's terrible. Wait when you can get either of the other, preferably B&W.
I called BMW genius and found that due to chip shortage, BMW is not offering B&V or HK upgrades on any models.....all models are currently getting BMW Hi-Fi system. I am super bummed already even before receiving the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_pilot View Post
Quote:
I called BMW genius and found that due to chip shortage, BMW is not offering B&V or HK upgrades on any models.....all models are currently getting BMW Hi-Fi system. I am super bummed already even before receiving the vehicle.
Don't take it and wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

I think this needs a bit more investigation. My understanding this:

The X7 40i is getting the HiFi system. HK nor B&W is available.

The M50i is still getting the HK (that is the standard offer on the M50i.) B&W is not available.

The bmwusa.com website is still showing HK as standard equipment on the M50i. Does someone have info to contradict that?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
GingabreadMan
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [10.00]
You are correct, just picked up my 2022 M50i and it has the HK as standard equipment.
Appreciate 3
GL121.00
1230vani660.00
      10-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #7
Raptor_pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
I think this needs a bit more investigation. My understanding this:

The X7 40i is getting the HiFi system. HK nor B&W is available.

The M50i is still getting the HK (that is the standard offer on the M50i.) B&W is not available.

The bmwusa.com website is still showing HK as standard equipment on the M50i. Does someone have info to contradict that?
looks like your understanding is correct....mine is 40i and this comes with HiFi as default and no option to upgrade....M50i has the HK as default...i am already committed to the purchase so cannot back out, looks like have to live with HiFi system

any new buyers, watch out for this audio/speaker situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #8
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
looks like your understanding is correct....mine is 40i and this comes with HiFi as default and no option to upgrade....M50i has the HK as default...i am already committed to the purchase so cannot back out, looks like have to live with HiFi system

any new buyers, watch out for this audio/speaker situation.
All is not lost. There are folks upgrading their speakers and it appears to be semi-plug and play. Based on the X5 kits available. I predict there will be more options pop up from vendors are more people want to upgrade their base systems. Take a look at this thread. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1846757
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

How and why at this level is this base audio system even a option?? It’s beyond comprehension this is even offered to anything above a 3 series. I absolutely would back out of that deal. It happens all the time even at the time of vehicle delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #10
Raptor_pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
How and why at this level is this base audio system even a option?? It’s beyond comprehension this is even offered to anything above a 3 series. I absolutely would back out of that deal. It happens all the time even at the time of vehicle delivery.
The plot thickens...talked to my dealer and he says that I have HK but not the upgrade which gives 2 subwoofers and more power.....I guess I will wait and see what shows up and make a stink/possibly reject at delivery if it is not HK.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #11
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
The plot thickens...talked to my dealer and he says that I have HK but not the upgrade which gives 2 subwoofers and more power.....I guess I will wait and see what shows up and make a stink/possibly reject at delivery if it is not HK.
He’s correct. You are getting an “HK” base system if you ordered the 40i. However, it’s the worst HK “hi fi” sound system you can get. It’s ok if you’re streaming Spotify or Apple Music but absolutely atrocious using XM or FM radio. Only 10 paper thin speakers and a 200 watt sound system. It’s very similar to what you’d find in a Toyota Camry. Actually the Camry has a better system
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 06:36 PM   #12
Raptor_pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
He’s correct. You are getting an “HK” base system if you ordered the 40i. However, it’s the worst HK “hi fi” sound system you can get. It’s ok if you’re streaming Spotify or Apple Music but absolutely atrocious using XM or FM radio. Only 10 paper thin speakers and a 200 watt sound system. It’s very similar to what you’d find in a Toyota Camry. Actually the Camry has a better system
thanks Angelo ! Looks like I fell for a rookie mistake...maybe I will upgrade it later on....i am more of spotify guy so let's see how the experience goes
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #13
skids929
Private First Class
Rep

I just got my 2022 X7 40i, M package. The stereo isn't awful, it's not awesome but it's not awful, somewhere in between. It works, and yes you can always upgrade.

Keep in mind you will not be getting wireless charging. I sort of can't believe BMW is even producing these cars still like this. Audi just basically said nope not making anything if it doesn't meet out standard. Also, I question the QC abilities of the folks in SC plant. My passenger C pillar is barely painted in one spot. No idea how they will correct that if I even choose to let them.

I love the car, but I am a little miffed at some of the things that were not explained by the dealer in greater detail.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #14
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I just got my 2022 X7 40i, M package. The stereo isn't awful, it's not awesome but it's not awful, somewhere in between. It works, and yes you can always upgrade.

Keep in mind you will not be getting wireless charging. I sort of can't believe BMW is even producing these cars still like this. Audi just basically said nope not making anything if it doesn't meet out standard. Also, I question the QC abilities of the folks in SC plant. My passenger C pillar is barely painted in one spot. No idea how they will correct that if I even choose to let them.

I love the car, but I am a little miffed at some of the things that were not explained by the dealer in greater detail.

Totally understandable. Can you show us a photo of that c pillar? That's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #15
skids929
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Totally understandable. Can you show us a photo of that c pillar? That's crazy.
Here it is..You have to look at the center of the pillar, it's worse in person. Nothing I am going to freak out about but lackluster at best on BMWs part. The car literally goes to QC. right after paint, I just want to know who let this go ahead on the line. Im more pissed at that guy than BMW or my Sales rep.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #16
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I agree and it’s why I’m leasing mine. I’m betting the 2022 model will carry the lowest values amongst X7 model years.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #17
skids929
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
I agree and it’s why I’m leasing mine. I’m betting the 2022 model will carry the lowest values amongst X7 model years.
Depends on the config..And if thats the case you're lease price isn't going to be very good. I think pretty much you could say that about any car maker right now, all in the same boat.

The paint has nothing to do with chip shortages, thats a quality issue that effects anyone potentially. I own an Audi S4 (my car) and I personally think Audi quality is better overall.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:13 PM   #18
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Depends on the config..And if thats the case you're lease price isn't going to be very good. I think pretty much you could say that about any car maker right now, all in the same boat.

The paint has nothing to do with chip shortages, thats a quality issue that effects anyone potentially. I own an Audi S4 (my car) and I personally think Audi quality is better overall.
True, it’s a disappointing time to buy just about can car. Leasing is the best option in my book because of it.
Funny, I had an Audi and thought just the opposite. The S4 is a nice car but I don’t like the suvs, especially the Q7. Yikes, does that thing scream Mom mobile.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #19
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here it is..You have to look at the center of the pillar, it's worse in person. Nothing I am going to freak out about but lackluster at best on BMWs part. The car literally goes to QC. right after paint, I just want to know who let this go ahead on the line. Im more pissed at that guy than BMW or my Sales rep.
That looks terrible and I would not accept delivery. Otherwise, they need to repaint it. Factory machine paint jobs are know where near as good as high quality paint shop.

Last edited by Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW; 10-11-2021 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #20
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

Dang, that's absolutely nuts about that paint.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #21
skids929
Private First Class
Rep

I know...I let my salesman know I want to speak to the GM of the dealer. It won't take much for me to tell them to take the car back altogether at this point. My wife would be bummed out, but honestly, all this paint holiday makes me think is what else did they skimp on. So this line of thinking caused me to go around the car with a fine tooth comb and look and sure enough the rear passenger wheel well liner is installed incorrectly and not lined up-huge gap and can be tucked back in. This will allow water and debris directly on to the underside of the panels of the car.

It's kind of sad, you'd think those aholes in SC who basically have nothing there except BMW would cherish their jobs, and recognize that someone paid top dollar for the car they build. This is why American manufacturing is a joke, this wouldn't happen in a German factory, even Japanese. My S4 was pristine, no issues whatsoever. Delivery was great too...BMW on the other hand promised a big red bow on the car for my wife, well that didn't happen. We walk in, nothing, car was just sitting there. End to end disappointment so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:53 PM   #22
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I had some paint issues as well. One small spot on the front bumper, and one spot on the passenger side rear door jam. I had them fix the issue on the door jam because it was sharp and can cut someone if they tried to open the door and touched that spot.
The dealer got BMWUSA to approve the repair and sent it to a BMW authorized body shop. Took about a week. They said because Mineral White is hard to match, that's why it took so long.
I didn't have them touch the front bumper in fear of the paint not matching. It's a very small spot (about the size of a 1/2 grain of rice) and not noticeable unless you really look. (plus I figure the rocks from highway driving will just keep chipping the front bumper so in a few years it'll have plenty of company).

QC in the SC plant definitely has some issues. I've ordered other BMW's that were made in Germany and they didn't have the QC issues I've had with my X7 and my wife's X3.
Appreciate 0