BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum PCD today, great experience!

09-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

PCD today, great experience!

I've seen the future of car buying. What a wonderful way to take delivery of a new vehicle. Usually, by the time I decide I want a car, I've done enough research that I know more than the dealer about the features/functions. Not this time. The delivery process just taking the car was ~2 hours long and we went over everything. Car was detailed well and put into a great spot (inside, so it was nice and cool) so we could look it over in detail and then get in/out about 30 times going through everything.

Driving on a race track was an experience, it absolutely built some level of understanding of what these things can do. Trust me, you're not doing it on the road except in an emergency. I couldn't believe how fast they could change direction and how quickly we could go around a course in a darn 7 passenger soccer mom SUV! Looks can be very deceiving, that's for sure.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience, best car delivery every. Number 2 best delivery was when a dealer drove the new car to my house, did the paperwork on my kitchen table, and they got in my car (trade) and drove it back to the dealership.

Shout out to the BMW PCD folks, professional, incredibly well versed in the cars, skilled drivers.. And a plug for Nathan up at Passport BMW, made the buying experience easy, fair price, had the allocations he said he did, good communicator.. Can't ask for more.

This is clearly the future of car buying, at least for me/my wife. I'm not doing the dealer game again; I'm currently in a waiting game with Ford for them to get to an online order model; when they do, I'll buy a new truck. But I don't want it bad enough to fight with a dealer.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue241.00
      09-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #2
Tay161
Rep
Drives: X7 2023 (ordered)

Congrats on the new ride and the experience! I wish I would have done the PCD option and if there is another BMW in my future, I will definitely take delivery there. I hope a future without having to put up with a dealership as the middle man is on the horizon. But I’m skeptical. My experience buying my X7 reminded me of everything I hate about dealing with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 06:58 AM   #3
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay161 View Post
Congrats on the new ride and the experience! I wish I would have done the PCD option and if there is another BMW in my future, I will definitely take delivery there. I hope a future without having to put up with a dealership as the middle man is on the horizon. But I’m skeptical. My experience buying my X7 reminded me of everything I hate about dealing with them.
The big issues is that there are laws in place preventing companies from selling direct. Without changing them, it's going to be hard for the model to go away completely. But BMW could open "company" stores, one in each state, that served as a delivery center. I don't think they could own it as BMW (the legal challenge mentioned above), but they could certainly have a seperate company own/hold them and do online sales/delivery that way.

The buying experience for this car was pretty great; I only had to leave the house to get a document notarized, everything else was done online. BMW has good order tracking, so that made things easy once we'd finalized the configuration and pricing.

This type of buying/selling is clearly the future, it's just a question of how quickly we get there. Good news, we have plenty of cars and I can "wait out" the manufacturers, they want my money more than I want their car. But when they get on board, I'll start shopping again; I would like a new pickup truck, but not badly enough to deal with the pain. Honestly, I might be ready for a "new, new" pickup truck now, I've been interested in an upgrade for years now, if I'd bought when I was first looking, I might be tempted to buy again today.

There are staggering amounts of money being missed by the manufacturers with this model. Not only the "sale prevention" aspect of it (although, I know I'm not alone in this, I know plenty of people who are in the "Like a new car, but not willing to fight a dealer for it" camp), but also the markups; I'm sure on many new cars the dealer is making more money than the manufacturer.

Part of me hopes it comes soon so I can get a new truck. Part of me hopes it NEVER comes because I can see my bank account suffering greatly buying/selling cars on a regular basis.
Appreciate 1
xlover2198.50
      09-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #4
swissguy77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x7 40i 2023

coming from Europe originally I always hated buying a car here in the US. From my first one where it took me 4 hours at the dealership with the whole dance and forth between sales rep sales director general manager. My last experience buying the X7 was 1 hour from walking in until I signed. I am telling the sales person right up. you have 1 hour of my time. I also bought a Volvo last year which was very easy. Best price over the phone. come in to drive if you like it. Some dealers learned during covid. others didn't
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:32 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy77 View Post
coming from Europe originally I always hated buying a car here in the US. From my first one where it took me 4 hours at the dealership with the whole dance and forth between sales rep sales director general manager. My last experience buying the X7 was 1 hour from walking in until I signed. I am telling the sales person right up. you have 1 hour of my time. I also bought a Volvo last year which was very easy. Best price over the phone. come in to drive if you like it. Some dealers learned during covid. others didn't
Yup, my dealership brings the vehicle to my home to test drive for the day. They know I am serious if I ask them to deliver a vehicle for evaluation. They even try to deliver a car they think I might like even if I am not in the market. The last one recently was a M5C they just got in and wanted to drop it off to “see what I think”. These tactics work with customers they know well.

I only go to the dealership if I want to compare between models on the lot and that is rare. At final sale they bring all the paper work to my home to finalize the sale. All I do is email them my license and insurance info before hand. This is how car buying should be. My Porsche and Ram dealership does this as well. They also pick up and drop off my vehicles for service. This has been how I buy cars for years.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-22-2022 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:46 AM   #6
crackerjack15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

The worst is the salesperson who keeps leaving to check with the manager about your offer. You know they are sitting in the office talking about other stuff, letting you sit there. They already know the price they will take. The longer you sit, the less likely you will hold out for a lower price. I bought a Toyota once and after the negotiation, here comes a lady with a binder... windshield protection, pinstriping, interior, wheels, blah, blah blah. I said, I'm gonna save you a lot of time... I will never buy any of that and if you say the word nitrogen, I walk. Lol. Then they try to convince me I'm making a mistake. Lovely. I guess they continue the current practices because it works on a lot of people.

My local dealer is very easy to deal with. It's a small dealership and we usually come up with a price we are both happy with in about 5 minutes. And, they never try to sell me any packages.

Congrats on the PCD delivery. It's a very cool experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #7
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
The worst is the salesperson who keeps leaving to check with the manager about your offer. You know they are sitting in the office talking about other stuff, letting you sit there. They already know the price they will take. The longer you sit, the less likely you will hold out for a lower price. I bought a Toyota once and after the negotiation, here comes a lady with a binder... windshield protection, pinstriping, interior, wheels, blah, blah blah. I said, I'm gonna save you a lot of time... I will never buy any of that and if you say the word nitrogen, I walk. Lol. Then they try to convince me I'm making a mistake. Lovely. I guess they continue the current practices because it works on a lot of people.

My local dealer is very easy to deal with. It's a small dealership and we usually come up with a price we are both happy with in about 5 minutes. And, they never try to sell me any packages.

Congrats on the PCD delivery. It's a very cool experience.
I was interested in PCD and sent them an email requesting information on the process but never got a reply and no it didn't go to spam.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #8
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Name:  20220921_074317.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  286.1 KB

Name:  20220921_094536.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  453.6 KB

Name:  20220921_100026.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  387.3 KB

Name:  20220921_100040.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  360.7 KB

Name:  20220921_100056.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  287.5 KB

Name:  20220921_115123.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  362.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #9
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Did you go dravit tartufo ?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Did you go dravit tartufo ?
Yes sir. The only thing we didn't get (that I wanted) was full merino, it would have delayed the build quite a bit because the build was in 112 status and individual trims can't be added at that point. It's an expensive option that's really getting at the edge of "will you even notice" (at least for me), so I was fine saving the ~1500 dollars but would have bought it if it wasn't such a delay to the build.

Think it looks very nice in person. Black would probably match a little better but we live in SC, the sun is intense, and black seats, sun and shorts can make for some unhappy moments.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #11
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
I was interested in PCD and sent them an email requesting information on the process but never got a reply and no it didn't go to spam.
I was wondering about it too...here is their website regarding the delivery FAQ:

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/deliveryfaq/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #12
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
I was wondering about it too...here is their website regarding the delivery FAQ:

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/deliveryfaq/
Thanks. I had seen that link but had additional questions that they never answered. I did get them answered from other posts on this site.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      09-22-2022, 02:43 PM   #13
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Thanks. I had seen that link but had additional questions that they never answered. I did get them answered from other posts on this site.
It is disappointing that they don't answer our inquiries. Even Genius agents don't properly answer our questions...they keep referring us to dealers who are clueless for the most part.
Appreciate 1
rjabend376.00
      09-22-2022, 04:56 PM   #14
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
It is disappointing that they don't answer our inquiries. Even Genius agents don't properly answer our questions...they keep referring us to dealers who are clueless for the most part.
Yes, that is a serious reservation I have about BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #15
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
I've seen the future of car buying. What a wonderful way to take delivery of a new vehicle. Usually, by the time I decide I want a car, I've done enough research that I know more than the dealer about the features/functions. Not this time. The delivery process just taking the car was ~2 hours long and we went over everything. Car was detailed well and put into a great spot (inside, so it was nice and cool) so we could look it over in detail and then get in/out about 30 times going through everything.

Driving on a race track was an experience, it absolutely built some level of understanding of what these things can do. Trust me, you're not doing it on the road except in an emergency. I couldn't believe how fast they could change direction and how quickly we could go around a course in a darn 7 passenger soccer mom SUV! Looks can be very deceiving, that's for sure.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience, best car delivery every. Number 2 best delivery was when a dealer drove the new car to my house, did the paperwork on my kitchen table, and they got in my car (trade) and drove it back to the dealership.

Shout out to the BMW PCD folks, professional, incredibly well versed in the cars, skilled drivers.. And a plug for Nathan up at Passport BMW, made the buying experience easy, fair price, had the allocations he said he did, good communicator.. Can't ask for more.

This is clearly the future of car buying, at least for me/my wife. I'm not doing the dealer game again; I'm currently in a waiting game with Ford for them to get to an online order model; when they do, I'll buy a new truck. But I don't want it bad enough to fight with a dealer.
I've always wanted to do this, how can I find out more information about this option? If I am financing, do I apply online? How do I know what incentives are offered or final price? Thanks
      12-02-2022, 10:34 PM   #16
pgk500
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post
I've always wanted to do this, how can I find out more information about this option? If I am financing, do I apply online? How do I know what incentives are offered or final price? Thanks
You need to ask your dealer. Once you let the dealer know you are interested in PCD they will submit the request and inform you regarding the dates. Once the date is confirmed you will receive email from PCD and then you can directly communicate with them. I am in Bay Area and my local dealer said they don’t do PCD so I reached out to all the dealers within 50 miles radius and all agreed but were selling at msrp. Finally found couple Of dealers who gave 1k off of msrp and good incentives. The PCD scheduling and communication was excellent from my SA. This is for 23 X7 scheduled for PCD for Jan 11. In terms of financing, you have to submit separate app for each bmw dealer if you are going to use bmw financials. I submitted through to 2 bmw dealers and they approved with similar rates so should have just gone with one but that’s ok. Also, if you go through bmw financials you have to go in person to do the paperwork but if it’s through credit union or non bmw you can do it online/email and don’t have to go in person.

Last edited by pgk500; 12-02-2022 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue241.00
      12-02-2022, 10:43 PM   #17
pgk500
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Did you get 2 insulated mugs as a goodie saw couple of YouTube videos with some gift bag With bmw delivery center label on it and was curious what do people get lol
Appreciate 0