tewai
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 LCI Frozen Pure Grey

Dirt "friendly" colour

Hello everyone, new here.

I ordered the new X7, my first bmw.
I went with Dravit grey but i realized due to dust enviroment i work in i should go other colour which would be easier to maintain and where the shadow package will pop.
So i changed it to Brooklyn grey, but i'm still not sure. It looks ok in person but to me it's not that wow colour i thought it'll be. Maybe i'm a raid of the blueish tone.
I do like the Skyscraper grey as the grey tone is just in between Dravit and BG but in videos it looked way too silver on sun for my taste and haven't seen it in person.

Thought about going in one of the Individual colour but couldnt really find any Real world photos.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #2
guywithcat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

While it is counterintuitive, white is actually the color that shows the least dirt, while some of the darker colors show it more.
Appreciate 2
wtwo318096.50
      10-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #3
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithcat View Post
While it is counterintuitive, white is actually the color that shows the least dirt, while some of the darker colors show it more.
I agree. Black, dark blue, green, red and gray are the most difficult to keep clean. Silver and white hide dust the best, although they also show the mud and dark road splatter the most. I guess it depends what's your external environment looks like. If it's mostly urban dusty environment get white or silver. If it's suburban or rural with a lot of black or dark mud, probably gray would be best, if red clay mud, then go with red. Actually if your environment is the last two, just go with RAM TRX ....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
tewai
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
All you’re gonna get here is personal preferences, so here’s mine. Dravit is my least favorite. In person, it veers toward brown/olive and I just don’t care for it. Brooklyn isn’t a favorite either, but it’s a style color that is growing in popularity for sure. It almost has that “concrete” look that is very popular, especially in Porsches. I went with Skyscraper, but I too am scared it’s too silver. I need a medium gray, but there just isn’t one at the moment. My true favorite is Marina Bay Blue. It’s so pretty in person, but I’m afraid I’d regret going so bold on my huge daily driver. Been in a 19 Mineral White for 3.5 years and it’s beautiful — just tired of looking like every single other car in my town. Good luck making a decision; I’ve been poring over the options around the clock for weeks now.
Yea Marina Bay and San marino are luxurious (and combine with tartufo interior &#129316 but i've seen someones pictures with quite a dirt on it. Not like my red audi hasn't diet on it lol... I like grey, Thought i'd go for Grigio telesto pearl but every picture i saw was like different colour and Nardo grey is flat..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
007 G07
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '05 Odyssey EX-L

Garage List
I also agree with that, speaking from just personal experience, lighter exterior paint colors hides dirt better. I can't really see the dirt on my any of my family's white and silver cars. It's a far cry from the only dark-colored (black) car we have that literally turns from black to white in no time from all the dirt and dust. As far as the accumulation of dust goes, it's certainly silver and white that shows the least dust - you'd have to pretty much get up close and be parallel to the surface and have the right lighting to notice it a lot of the times. That being said, I'd still go with a color that you really like and maybe just clean it as needed?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #6
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

mineral white wears dirt well.

source: me. I'm lazy af in spite of having a fairly great wash setup.
      10-18-2022, 07:48 AM   #7
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I have had 2 Alpine White BMWs (F25 and F15) and currently have Phytonic blue on my G01, it is really hard to keep looking clean, still better than black though. Definitely go with White if hiding dirt, my Alpine White cars always looked clean.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 08:30 AM   #8
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithcat View Post
+1. least dirt and more important for me, you don't see the swirls as much either. With such a big car, I really don't pay as much attention to it, so I'll take it through a touchless carwash on occasion, and will only do a full detail like once a year to take care of the sandblasting it received from those godforsaken things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewai View Post
So i changed it to Brooklyn grey, but i'm still not sure. It looks ok in person but to me it's not that wow colour i thought it'll be. Maybe i'm a raid of the blueish tone.
After 6 white cars, I got my first "color" in my i4 with Brooklyn Grey. It wasn't my first choice, but one became available for immediate delivery so I jumped on it. It does stay looking clean for the most part. I'll see water spots and such a bit sooner than the Mineral White Metallic X7 next to it in my driveway, but it doesn't bother me like it would on a darker color. I would say that my MWM X7 did look a bit dirtier than my BG i4 in the driveway last night. I think it might have been because the shadowline trim wasn't as high-contrast as usual against the white so the dirt stood out a bit more, with BG being a little closer to the shadowline, the dirty shadowline just didn't have as much of an impact to the overall cleanliness of the car.

I never really get a "blue" out of BG, though... maybe grey with a blue note, but certainly never blue. I do get a lot of compliments on it and I like it so far. We'll see how I feel after a winter...

I do like BG better than Alpine White for sure... it's just so much more durable. After 5000 miles I don't have a single rock chip to speak of. I have one on my MWM car that was from a pretty bad rock that also chipped my windshield. In the 3 Alpine White cars I have had before these (including my last X7), there were dozens... easy to touch up... but if you look at that color the wrong way it will chip.
      10-18-2022, 08:44 AM   #9
Vivalamatt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540 and 2021 BMW X5

I would say Skyscraper Grey is best. I had a similar color on my 5 series, Blue Stone Metallic, and it hid dirt exceptionally well. My car would look clean all the time.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #10
tewai
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalamatt View Post
I would say Skyscraper Grey is best. I had a similar color on my 5 series, Blue Stone Metallic, and it hid dirt exceptionally well. My car would look clean all the time.
I quite like the look of SG when it's not in the direct sun, otherwise it feels like a silver colour.
Appreciate 1