BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Rear Seat Unlocked message

06-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
geewiss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7 // ready to buy X3 M40i

Rear Seat Unlocked message

1500 miles and seeing the Rear Seat Unlocked Message. I've tried all the recommendations online but nothing has fixed it as of yet.

Went to the dealer today and they insisted that I must schedule a service and that it had to go through a "reinitialization" and it takes about an hour. They also stated that if that doesn't work then they will have to order some part that is on backorder.

I find it hard to believe that I can't reset a module or something to recalibrate these seats. Any service techs on this forum that would care to enlighten me with this nonsense.

See attached pictures and notice that the right rear is definately off as it seems to try to close to far. All pictures were taking after hitting the "max cargo button".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Yeah… there’s a few threads on this… see below. But it does look like most if not all folks had to take it to the dealer for an update and potential sensor replacement.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight+rear+seat
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #3
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I've had it happen three times. A couple of times, they had to "reset" something, and the other time a sensor had to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

There's an SIB on this issue. It's probably in the other thread as I know I posted it somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:47 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It’s a know issue your dealer will fix.
Appreciate 1
khai Dow337.50
      07-08-2023, 02:16 PM   #6
maddawg995
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

After experiencing it for the third time, I was finally able to fix it myself. I asked the dealer what they did the first two times and they just gave me the run around. I know they didn't replace any sensors since both were short visits. Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Turn on engine to get the message
2. Shut down and hit the max luggage button
3. Turn on engine again and the message went away
4. Shut down and hit max passenger button
5. Turned on engine and make sure the message didn't return

The secret sauce may be to keep turning the engine on and off. I've done the same combination in the past, without engaging the engine, and it didn't work. Hopefully this helps someone with the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 09:30 AM   #7
Jalndrs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 35i

When you all get this message does the back right seat not go down even when pushing the button? Mine occasionally won’t go down then this code appears but it goes away quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 12:58 PM   #8
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I had this happen but only once so far. I had everything locked, still had the error, I gently forced the seat further into the locked position and I ended up hearing a small click and then the warning went away.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 01:16 PM   #9
RazTaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7

None of the hacks mentioned above worked for me. Took it to the dealership and was told that the 3rd row driver side seat motor was broken and had to be replaced. Guess how much they charged me to replace the motor?? Too low... It was $1390. Yes $1500 for a frikin motor #$&#&*(@$_)!~!*. I don't think they even tried to reconfigure it. If the motor was broken, I wouldn't be hearing a clicking sound every time I tried to open up the seat. It was like the motor was repeatedly trying to engage with something but failing.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:39 PM   #10
Mescolito
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7

2021 X7, having the same issues since I bought it used, very randomly, and very intermittently. Spent about a half hour in total frustration today trying to get the seats down. I guess in the grand scheme of things, I should feel pretty fortunate because I always seem to be able to get the seats to do what I want them to do.

I wish I could offer an exact procedure, but I honestly don’t know what ultimately causes the seats to end up in the configuration that I am wanting at the time.
The only thing I know is that I “just keep messing with it”, but there was one point today, drenched in sweat under the hot sun, that I started hopping up and down on 1 foot and singing the Star-Spangled Banner (it was either that or yelling a string of “blasphemes” in the key of “F”, and I didn’t want to offend my neighbors). For all, I know, my vehicle is very patriotic and enjoyed my horrible out of key miserable singing.
Appreciate 0