BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Does X7 40i have Brake Energy Regeneration system?

04-22-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Does X7 40i have Brake Energy Regeneration system?

I did not know X7 40i and may be other BMWs have Brake Energy Regeneration system. I thought this was only for EV or hybrid cars. I was looking at the different driving features and graphs on the iDrive, I noticed on one of the screens everytime I braked the car, the "Battery is Charging" message displayed and a picture animating power going to a box, I guess portraying battery.

I did a quick search and this is what I got "During acceleration and whenever possible during other driving the BME alternator is decoupled from the drivetrain, leading to better fuel economy and improved performance."

Is this really the case or this is just an animation on iDrive for a hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

I'm not sure. But I can tell you that when I'm driving with eco status on, it showed during coasting like is sending something to the battery.

I have a 50i though.

Last edited by jcarlilesiu; 04-24-2020 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

From what I understand, it's not a true brake energy recoup system like on EV and Hybrids. There is no electric motor that's recharging the battery with the force from braking. Instead, it's basically detaching the alternator from the engine during normal use, and when you apply the brakes, it then attaches the alternator and uses excess energy (maybe a little bit of engine braking) to charge the battery.

It's basically marketing. Not really going to noticeably affect MPG in real world scenario.

BTW it's not new to the X7, it's been around for years. Back in 2015 when we test drove an X3 before we ordered one for the wife, it had the same brake energy regeneration.

Last edited by thenew3; 04-24-2020 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
I did not know X7 40i and may be other BMWs have Brake Energy Regeneration system. I thought this was only for EV or hybrid cars. I was looking at the different driving features and graphs on the iDrive, I noticed on one of the screens everytime I braked the car, the "Battery is Charging" message displayed and a picture animating power going to a box, I guess portraying battery.

I did a quick search and this is what I got "During acceleration and whenever possible during other driving the BME alternator is decoupled from the drivetrain, leading to better fuel economy and improved performance."

Is this really the case or this is just an animation on iDrive for a hybrid.
It kinda does:.: the alternator mostly only charges when decelerating to save fuel.
Appreciate 0