BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Ventilation issue when interior reaches set temp

10-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
jhb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i

I am trying to "give" my wife the X7 but she hates, hates, hates the heating/ventilation system.

Does anyone else get bothered by this:

Turn car on, heat starts. After driving around and cabin reaches temp, the heat stops, but the fan continues essentially blowing cold air on you. I'll start a trip at 68 and end at 78 to keep this from happening.

Has any one noticed this or have figured out how to get this to stop? It happens no matter the mode, auto, air up, down, middle.

I honestly might have to sell car as a result if she won't drive it.
2006 x5 4.4
2000 528i: 1989 525i: 1986 528e
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhb View Post
I am trying to "give" my wife the X7 but she hates, hates, hates the heating/ventilation system.

Turn car on, heat starts. After driving around and cabin reaches temp, the heat stops, but the fan continues essentially blowing cold air on you. I'll start a trip at 68 and end at 78 to keep this from happening.

Has any one noticed this or have figured out how to get this to stop? It happens no matter the mode, auto, air up, down, middle.

It sounds like the upper body temperature regulation setting is on the maximum cooling setting. On old BMW's, the was a roll wheel that adjusted the temp of the middle vents. You could have nice warm air on your feet while having cool air on your face (for example.)

On newer BMW's this is buried in the iDrive:

From the manual:

Temperature of the ventilation

General information

The temperature of the ventilation in the upper body region can be adjusted.

Climate control

The temperature is individually adjusted, e.g. colder toward blue, warmer toward red. The air flow of the ventilation in the upper body region heats or cools noticeably, depending on the adjusted temperature. This does not change the set interior temperature for the driver and front passenger.

Adjusting
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Climate control"
4. "Heating/ventilation"
5. "Driver" or "Front passenger"
6. "Temperature adjustment"
7. Set the desired temperature.
Appreciate 2
jmciver1847.50
jhb17.50
      10-30-2021, 05:31 AM   #3
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
Quote:

It sounds like the upper body temperature regulation setting is on the maximum cooling setting. On old BMW's, the was a roll wheel that adjusted the temp of the middle vents. You could have nice warm air on your feet while having cool air on your face (for example.)

From the manual:

General information

Climate control

The temperature is individually adjusted, e.g. colder toward blue, warmer toward red. The air flow of the ventilation in the upper body region heats or cools noticeably, depending on the adjusted temperature. This does not change the set interior temperature for the driver and front passenger.

Adjusting
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Climate control"
4. "Heating/ventilation"
Great reminder about this. I used to adjust that wheel all the time In my 5 series but forgot about it now being in iDrive settings. Kind of wish they left it more accessible.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Well damn, I just learned something new about the X7 today in this post…. I have seen those settings multiple times in iDrive, not paying much attention to them, and just assumed they were an alternate way to set the driver or passenger side individual temp settings, just like the manual buttons. FWIW, I have never noticed this issue (nor my family when riding in the X7). I always keep the temp on driver and passenger "sync'ed" and HVAC in "auto", and adjust the main temp with the driver side buttons.

I guess I got lucky that the default upper body region temp settings from the factory were already set comfortably for me (the primary X7 driver), and the rest of the family. But now I have something new to play with in the X7 …!!

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Well damn, I just learned something new about the X7 today in this post…. I have seen those settings multiple times in iDrive, not paying much attention to them, and just assumed they were an alternate way to set the driver or passenger side individual temp settings, just like the manual buttons. FWIW, I have never noticed this issue (nor my family when riding in the X7). I always keep the temp on driver and passenger "sync'ed" and HVAC in "auto", and adjust the main temp with the driver side buttons.

I guess I got lucky that the default upper body region temp settings from the factory were already set comfortably for me (the primary X7 driver), and the rest of the family. But now I have something new to play with in the X7 …!!
It will make a huge difference in how cold/frosty the AC will get if you adjust this for the warm months. Go the other way and your car will heat up faster in the winter.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1847.50
      10-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
M3JHWK
Nutter
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

From the manual:

General information

Climate control

Adjusting
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Climate control"
4. "Heating/ventilation"
Or you can press the physical "MENU" button right below the temperature/fan level display to skip those first three steps.
Appreciate 3
GL121.00
jhb17.50
      10-31-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:

In my car, it will reduce the fan speed when I reach the set temperature, enough that I don’t really notice it blowing warm or cold air. I’m assuming you are on auto?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #8
GL
Private First Class
Rep

I'm afraid the OP has ghosted us.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #9
sotti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping

I rode in the middle passenger seat on a road trip this weekend (wife gets carsick when not in the front, and one of the kids needed to get some school work done and our dog annoys anyone in the middle/back).

My side of the car started blowing really hot air about halfway through. Even with the temp set to 64. I had to set it to low in order to get it to blow reasonably cool air.

Anybody seen this?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #10
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:

When mine reaches temp, i feel that the air coming out of the vent is at the set point.

I always leave my fan on the lowest setting or one notch up.

I think the car does a good job of maintaining temperature, but I don't particularly like the vents blow directly at me or have a large quantity of air so I adjust those settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #11
jhb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i

Quote:
I'm afraid the OP has ghosted us.
No, I'm here. Just got caught up elsewhere.

I had an x5 with the dash upper temp wheel and I did use it all the time. This info is awesome and exactly what I was looking for! I thought the ventilation system just got smarter, even though I would argue the "smarter" part!

I will adjust this and see if it helps. I also thought this was just another way to adjust the main temperature.
2006 x5 4.4
2000 528i: 1989 525i: 1986 528e
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
GL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, I'm here. Just got caught up elsewhere.

I had an x5 with the dash upper temp wheel and I did use it all the time. This info is awesome and exactly what I was looking for! I thought the ventilation system just got smarter, even though I would argue the "smarter" part!

I will adjust this and see if it helps. I also thought this was just another way to adjust the main temperature.
Ha, hope this helps, let us know.
Appreciate 0