forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Accident - Dealer or Collusion Center

02-10-2023, 07:35 AM   #1
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

So yesterday evening I was heading home and the car traveling to my adjacent lane (left side) swing into my lane hitting my front driver side tyre and bumper. Seemed like car adjacent to this car (left side) decided to get in his lane pushing that car onto mine.

Now my car showing up all sort of errors Auto Hold, drivers assistance, parking view not available, also issues with 4 wheel drive. In short less on body except front side bumper but lot of internal things!

What do you guys suggest? Shall I take it to collision center or to a dealership?

Also, I’m not sure if insurance company will give me similar to X7 rental while my car is in for repairs! What are my options?

I have a planned vacation coming next weekend, now because of this accident, I can’t drive, will insurance reimburse my vacation losses?

Since car just has 2600 miles (just a month old) will it loose lot of value? Should I file a diminished value as well? Or is there a way I can ask insurance company to get me a new car instead!!

https://youtu.be/ZDWGT8XHU4g
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
EvanX10.50
      02-10-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
themama
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

Collision Center or dealership?
Dealership and a " BMw Certified" one so that you know you aren't getting after markets into the car.

Will insurance give same size rental?
Depends on whose fault it was determined as .If your insurance is paying you might have the limit, but if that's other party then you can demand.

Will value diminish?
Yes it will. There is no way to give exact value as it all depends on the demand at the point you want to sell and buyer who wants to buy. Based on severity of damage it might go higher. Again if this is not at your fault, you can claim for diminished value with insurance . You have to take the hit if I falls on your insurance.

Will insurance give new car?
Depends on extent of damage and cost to repair. Also remember it's not easy to get your purchase price even if insurance was to total it.

Per the video that your shared, it looks like minor hit. Because it has lots of electronics you might be seeing all those warnings. I was in a similar incident recently on my 5er and had to be very proactive to get the car fixed. I can emphasize the situation you are in. It took me 2+ months and I still have small paint corrections that need to be dealt with. Just got to be patient and you should be fine.
Appreciate 2
EvanX10.50
      02-10-2023, 08:17 AM   #3
EVRollerTech
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Sorry to hear, you’re just not having the best of luck with your new vehicle. I would probably start with the dealer as ultimately a collision center will most likely need to bring it back to them anyway to sort out the system problems. My best guess based on the accident is maybe something happened to the wheel speed sensor.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 08:23 AM   #4
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

I think themama answered most of your questions.

But if it was me like the above poster said I would take it to the dealer. Because if it’s a wheel speed sensor they could fix and at least you would have your vehicle until they can fix the cosmetic issues. I would rather drive my X7 with cosmetic issues than be stuffed in a rental car etc. just my thoughts anyways.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 08:24 AM   #5
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i

The dealer is going to send you to a body shop unless they have their own body shop. The dealer will add his cut into it but maybe the insurance company will not pay for dealers cut to just send it to a body shop.

OEM parts will be something you will have to ask the insurance company or demand. This all depends on your state’s insurance laws. Aftermarket parts is legally accepted by lots of states.

There was another post recently about an accident and diminished value claims.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That sucks. So sorry to hear that but at least you’re o.k. The largest take away is you absolutely have to guarantee you’re getting OEM parts. A BMW dealership with their own collision center is optimal. Remember, it’s just a car, it’ll all get straightened out.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 08:51 AM   #7
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

We have an OEM Parts Only rider added to our Auto Insurance Policy, it's only around $90 per year.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 09:00 AM   #8
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
We have an OEM Parts Only rider added to our Auto Insurance Policy, it's only around $90 per year.
Yes I have OEM parts added in my insurance, not sure the other guy’s!

The way he got hit and swing in my lane hitting my car, I assume his insurance should take care of all these damages!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:17 AM   #9
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

A new car... That doesn't look totaled to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:19 AM   #10
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have yet to hear someone buying a used car and inspected it to find out it had aftermarket parts and complained.

Some things are only oem espresso with a new bmw
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 09:35 AM   #11
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
A new car... That doesn't look totaled to me.
I know!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #12
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritu_o0o View Post

The way he got hit and swing in my lane hitting my car, I assume his insurance should take care of all these damages!
Since you have OEM parts coverage on your policy, make a claim against your policy. Then your insurance will go after the at fault's insurance.
Also, get a rental and have your insurance go after the at fault's insurance, this way you can get a similar sized rental and still go on your planned trip. (Saw some X7 at enterprise rental in SFO and MRY, I'm sure they're available at other airport locations too)

Also it looks like you're in CA. The law in CA does not recognize diminished value so you're not going to be able to get that from any insurance. You could possibly get it directly from the at fault party if you take them to small claims court. But that involves a lot of work, time and luck.

Check your policy to see if you have new car replacement coverage. Some insurance companies offer an add on that will replace your car within the first 2 years with a new one if it were involved in an accident.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 11:28 AM   #13
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

find a bmw ccrc here:
https://my.bmwusa.com/ccrc
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 11:30 AM   #14
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Check your policy to see if you have new car replacement coverage. Some insurance companies offer an add on that will replace your car within the first 2 years with a new one if it were involved in an accident.
if its totalled in an accident. they dont replace the car if its just in an accident.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 02:18 PM   #15
themama
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

did a cop come to the scene and did other party admit the fault?
If none of that happened, it is too early to assume it is other party's fault.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #16
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
did a cop come to the scene and did other party admit the fault?
If none of that happened, it is too early to assume it is other party's fault.
Cop did not show up but other driver confirmed that he was hit by other car which made him to swing in my lane hitting me!

Again, nothing that I have in written! If he decide to change his statement then all what I have is the video I shared up in my post!

Looking at the video my adjuster thinks that the other vehicle must have struck to the car which made it to come in my lane, now in this case, she thinks I won’t be at fault but I still will have to pay deductibles….
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #17
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
she thinks I won’t be at fault but I still will have to pay deductibles….
Why would you pay deductibles?? That makes no sense. They'll be getting their money from the other people's insurance...that's considered "double-dip". Maybe you need to talk to a supervisor...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:30 PM   #18
themama
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Why would you pay deductibles?? That makes no sense. They'll be getting their money from the other people's insurance...that's considered "double-dip". Maybe you need to talk to a supervisor...
I think that's mainly to get the process started via your insurance and get the car fixed. Your insurance will get the car fixed and work with other party insurance to get the cost back including the deductible.
Atleast that's how my insurance said they would do if I don't want to deal with other party insurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:44 PM   #19
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Most lay person do not realize this but your contract with YOUR insurance company to repair collision has a deductible. If you file through your own insurance you will always pay a deductible no matter what.

If they deem the other party at fault then they will try to collect. If the other party doesn’t have a means or no insurance then you’re out of luck. The other insurance company can deny liability as well and then a third party decisions maker decides
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:51 PM   #20
themama
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cop did not show up but other driver confirmed that he was hit by other car which made him to swing in my lane hitting me!

Again, nothing that I have in written! If he decide to change his statement then all what I have is the video I shared up in my post!

Looking at the video my adjuster thinks that the other vehicle must have struck to the car which made it to come in my lane, now in this case, she thinks I won’t be at fault but I still will have to pay deductibles….
looks like you have custom stripes on the car.. so you have to handle that separately..
our insurance always wants the faults to be others anyways.. it is all on how the entire episode turns out. But point being, make sure you are getting updates from other insurance and see which way it is going.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 04:06 PM   #21
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
I think that's mainly to get the process started via your insurance and get the car fixed. Your insurance will get the car fixed and work with other party insurance to get the cost back including the deductible.
Atleast that's how my insurance said they would do if I don't want to deal with other party insurance.
You mean they collect deductibles from you...then after getting paid from the other insurance...they would reimburse you the amount of the deductibles you have already paid for. That would make sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 05:35 PM   #22
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You mean they collect deductibles from you...then after getting paid from the other insurance...they would reimburse you the amount of the deductibles you have already paid for. That would make sense.
Yes my insurance will reimburse me if “the other party is at fault” but in my case there was third car involved, that car did not stop “hit and run” so according to my insurance, the car which hit mine wouldn’t be at fault either because it is not completely his fault!
If mine or other guy’s insurance finds out the hit and run car then I will get reimbursed otherwise I will have to eat it!!

It doesn’t make sense to me but that’s how insurance is playing, I’m will wait to get things settled down then will check with lawyer if this can be a case to go on insurance!!
Appreciate 0