F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > MHD or BOOTMOD3
ARMA SPEED

03-27-2019, 12:37 AM   #1
Godzilla85
Canada
Rep
Drives: F32 435i (daily), 2010 GTR

MHD or BOOTMOD3

I know that this subject has been beaten to death but I've been doing research on which flash tune to go with for about 2 weeks and I've been getting mixed reviews. A lot of the reviews were from American BMW owners who have installed either tunes and they both seem great but I've been seeing a lot of people commenting on their concerns with the climate of the area that they are in. I'm looking for any reviews from people who have a flash tune on their car and are living in Ontario.

I'm currently running Bolt Ons with a JB4 but I've heard so many good things about the flash tunes offered by MHD and Bootmod3. Would I be better off to run a backend flash with the JB4 or just ditch the JB4 completely. Which is a better option the MHD or the Bootmod3. I see both flash tunes offer custom tunes from tuners that can send you e-tunes that you can flash into your car in minutes which I love. I have an e-tune done by Ben Linney from Linney Tuning out of the UK on my R35 GTR and I've never had a single problem.

My mod list:
ER charge pipe
ER 4" catless downpipe
BMS intake
Will be ordering VRSF intercooler

Any input would be very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:48 AM   #2
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla85 View Post
I know that this subject has been beaten to death but I've been doing research on which flash tune to go with for about 2 weeks and I've been getting mixed reviews. A lot of the reviews were from American BMW owners who have installed either tunes and they both seem great but I've been seeing a lot of people commenting on their concerns with the climate of the area that they are in. I'm looking for any reviews from people who have a flash tune on their car and are living in Ontario.

I'm currently running Bolt Ons with a JB4 but I've heard so many good things about the flash tunes offered by MHD and Bootmod3. Would I be better off to run a backend flash with the JB4 or just ditch the JB4 completely. Which is a better option the MHD or the Bootmod3. I see both flash tunes offer custom tunes from tuners that can send you e-tunes that you can flash into your car in minutes which I love. I have an e-tune done by Ben Linney from Linney Tuning out of the UK on my R35 GTR and I've never had a single problem.

My mod list:
ER charge pipe
ER 4" catless downpipe
BMS intake
Will be ordering VRSF intercooler

Any input would be very much appreciated.
Really depends on your budget, I personally dumped my JB4 as it caused me problems, and would probably caused even more problems in the future. I bought BM3 during their beta and honestly, if you're going to custom tune, BM3 is for you, as the flash times are below 30 seconds which is great if you're logging and sending it back and forth. I would say MHD is great if you're running OTS maps only due to their long flash times (between 2-3 minutes or more)

Unlock times are 3 minutes 30 seconds for BM3 and 20 minutes for MHD.

BM3 customer service is great as they have pretty quick response times, and you have the owner local in toronto (Dzenan) so if you want a local custom tune, you can send him a message once you get BM3.
      03-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
mark_tdot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi - M-Performance

I am running BM3 stage 2 93 OCT tune and I'm very happy with it.

Any idea on how much a custom tune from Dzenan cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

I myself was on the fence between BM3 or MHD, was leaning more towards BM3, but I ended up going MHD in the end. I came across a thread and a member who had tried both, mentioned that BM3 did not work as well on his PWG car, and he was happier with MHD. I also like that I can flash and log directly from my phone or tablet without buying or building the wifi agent, I wanted it simple plug and play and didn't mind the longer load times.
      03-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

I currently run a stage 1 93 octane with MHD. I have a DP on the car so i could go to stage two if I wanted to. BM3 did not have an OTS map for only a DP. With BM3 you must have a DP and FMIC to go to a OTS stage two tune.

I use a '13 335xi 6MT for autox...its a bit heavy but its doing the job. The class i run in does not allow for intercooler upgrades. That's why going to a stage 2 with just a DP was important to me...MHD>BM3 in this case.

I don't think you'll find any substantial differences between the products with respect to their performance...other than DME unlocking times. Once the DME is unlocked, both take minutes to flash...

it really does depend on your application, hope this helps...
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
Godzilla85
Canada
Rep
Drives: F32 435i (daily), 2010 GTR

Thanks for all your input fellas. Do any of you have the flash tunes running stacked with JB4? With the JB4 how will the different map work with the flash tune? for example what will be the difference between map 1, map2, map3, and map 5 on the JB4

I read somewhere that MHD was working on the Bluetooth option to run with its app. Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
I currently run a stage 1 93 octane with MHD. I have a DP on the car so i could go to stage two if I wanted to. BM3 did not have an OTS map for only a DP. With BM3 you must have a DP and FMIC to go to a OTS stage two tune.

I use a '13 335xi 6MT for autox...its a bit heavy but its doing the job. The class i run in does not allow for intercooler upgrades. That's why going to a stage 2 with just a DP was important to me...MHD>BM3 in this case.

I don't think you'll find any substantial differences between the products with respect to their performance...other than DME unlocking times. Once the DME is unlocked, both take minutes to flash...

it really does depend on your application, hope this helps...
You can run stage 2 without FMIC but it'll be useless as you'll heatsoak with the higher boost and run worst times than stock, it's the same with MHD, i'm pretty sure if you posted a log here with your stage 2 without FMIC, we'll see timing drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_tdot View Post
I am running BM3 stage 2 93 OCT tune and I'm very happy with it.

Any idea on how much a custom tune from Dzenan cost?
Probably, a double double with 50 timbits , nah, depends, but normally tuners charge between 2-400$
      03-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #8
bimmaBart
2006 325i sport, 2103 335i xDrive
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

I'm running MHD stage1, changed the car for the better as soon as had it installed. getting FBO as we speak and will be going Stage2+ Friday.

don't have any experience with BM3 so I can't give a real review.

-car runs smooth
-easy install
-there is a custom map option
      03-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
You can run stage 2 without FMIC but it'll be useless as you'll heatsoak with the higher boost and run worst times than stock, it's the same with MHD, i'm pretty sure if you posted a log here with your stage 2 without FMIC, we'll see timing drops.
This is what MHD posted on its site for the F30 N55...And I'm not saying they are right. I am simply showing what they are claiming.

"Stage 2 Maps

91oct/95ron, 93oct/98ron, 95oct/102ron, stage 2 for cars equipped with an high-flow downpipe, stage 2+ for cars equipped with an high-flow downpipe and upgraded intercooler."

I doubt heat soak would be an issue for a few 60 second autox runs, plus we can spray down our intercoolers in between runs. This is certainly a concern for HPDE/lapping...but you're right, I can log it, post it and let the readers decide.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I just bought a 340i and am new to BMW turbo tuning. Had an E90 M3 previously. For the B58 BM3 is suppose to released by end of the month and MHD in 2nd quarter.

I would like to do a turbo upgrade if/when a fuel upgrade is available (LPFP or upgraded HPFP - I don't want Meth)
No E85 in Alberta and 93/94 has limited availability.

Kinda leaning towards BM3. They say they will have OTS maps for pure turbo upgrades (don't know what that looks like) and they have released more info than MHD. And I like that their flash times are shorter.

What are B58 guys thinking?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
BK335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3085258 View Post
I just bought a 340i and am new to BMW turbo tuning. Had an E90 M3 previously. For the B58 BM3 is suppose to released by end of the month and MHD in 2nd quarter.

I would like to do a turbo upgrade if/when a fuel upgrade is available (LPFP or upgraded HPFP - I don't want Meth)

Kinda leaning towards BM3. They say they will have OTS maps for pure turbo upgrades (don't know what that looks like) and they have released more info than MHD. And I like that their flash times are shorter.

BM3s IG page said they just released the B58 tune!

I'll get the BM3 tune eventually. Reviews seem a little more positive for the BM3 and if they aren't I think the initial flash find alone is enough to sway me. A 25-30 min flash vs 3 min is a steep difference, that's a long time for your car to be under the knife
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:25 AM   #12
BMW4RVR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3085258 View Post

I also got a 340i xdrive a month ago and I am on the same boat with you. I have been reading about B58 BM3 tuning and early adopters. Issues and it will have some updates soon. It might be the best to wait for couple months until BM3 resolves their issues and MHD releases their tuning (they are Beta testing ) now. I am waiting and reading people`s experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
F32-435i
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M-Sport

Just got a chance over the weekend and flashed to Stage 1 using MHD. I gotta say 'wow' what a difference it felt especially on Comfort mode which is the mode I drive with most. 1-3 gear is now buttery smooth with the linear pull rather then that sluggish feel. For those of you who are using MHD, have you selected any of the Options? I'm interested to see what you all have done.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Used to rock the JB on my N54 and now am sold on the BM3 I think it's great on the N55 EWG platform.

Seems like more users go with BM3 and that's always the safer option as that tune gathers more miles and they also have a good support structure.

And OMG a B58 on BM3 yikes!! Can only imagine how quick that must be

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #15
jebs2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 435

just flashed my b58 with stage1 bm3 (coming from mppsk which was already good)
car is a BEAST

previously used bm3 for my n55 and didn't have any problems either
2019 440 GC
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
MelbourneF30
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Definitely recommend BM3. I'm running it on my 328i stage 2 and does it ever pack a punch. I picked my tune up from Code World Inc. in the GTA. Seems to be cheaper than most other suppliers and save the USD conversion. They have an online shop as well. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0