BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

08-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #1035
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

thought these were pretty inspirational as they have these throughout my gym

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      08-14-2019, 04:55 AM   #1036
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Glad I have some gym rats up in here that like to talk about gym crap. Not to technical or bringing down people like in the real bodybuilding forums where people in there think they're better than everyone else. Here I can see we can just shoot the shits and get courtesy feedback. Love the smartass comments too but I know it's all in good humor. On that note heading to the gym to kill chest and tris! What's everyone else hitting today beside Rmtt who wakes da fuq up so early lol while half the world is still dreaming of Brittany Spears?

So true. Everyone here is encouraging. I got out of the bodybuilding forum world because of the negativity. Also because you have a lot of "posers" or people who think they are guru's. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people busted who talked big game, then someone found a pic of them and they look like they don't even train.

I've studied exercise/nutrition for close to 30 years and can get as technical as anyone wants. But it's really simple.

1. Train hard and constantly strive to make progress.

2. Use your diet to accomplish #1 above.

3. Consistency. I think this is most important. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your body. It takes years of progress. And remember you may not always see it because you see yourself everyday, but others will notice!
      08-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #1037
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

My legs are crazy sore. Lifted them Friday and they were trashed until yesterday, and I hit them again yesterday. Pressing my clutch in following my workout yesterday without cramping was difficult to say the least.

Chest day today!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #1038
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
thought these were pretty inspirational as they have these throughout my gym
These are great! Some of the best work outs that I've had, came from days that I didn't feel well or didn't want to go to the gym at all. Results are never instant.

I busted my ass Monday night and little disappointed that I'm not more sore than I am. I started bulking 2 weeks ago and seeing the results already, unfortunately I'm putting on a chub in the process. All part of it I suppose, I'll burn that shit off fast once I get the arms, shoulders, chest and legs the size I want though. Excited to get back in there tonight and teach those weights a lesson.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      08-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #1039
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
So true. Everyone here is encouraging. I got out of the bodybuilding forum world because of the negativity. Also because you have a lot of "posers" or people who think they are guru's. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people busted who talked big game, then someone found a pic of them and they look like they don't even train.

I've studied exercise/nutrition for close to 30 years and can get as technical as anyone wants. But it's really simple.

1. Train hard and constantly strive to make progress.

2. Use your diet to accomplish #1 above.

3. Consistency. I think this is most important. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your body. It takes years of progress. And remember you may not always see it because you see yourself everyday, but others will notice!
Yeah hoping that consistency part pays off here. I've been at it 30 years as well and legs always a sore spot for me. Ive gained some weight with my diet and train hard though always wonder why it hasnt paid off more, blame self, and am on a long term plan to get there. However I will never reach far enough so no worries about letting up anytime soon, hate days off and enjoy the work. Journey and all.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #1040
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
These are great! Some of the best work outs that I've had, came from days that I didn't feel well or didn't want to go to the gym at all. Results are never instant.

I busted my ass Monday night and little disappointed that I'm not more sore than I am. I started bulking 2 weeks ago and seeing the results already, unfortunately I'm putting on a chub in the process. All part of it I suppose, I'll burn that shit off fast once I get the arms, shoulders, chest and legs the size I want though. Excited to get back in there tonight and teach those weights a lesson.
Just keep motivating yourself to go! Keep it up!

Well boys I'm off to the gym for a back/bi day! Got my aminos, got my preworkout flowing through my veins and I'm ready to tear some shit up! feel good feel pumped! And than a hottie walks by and efs my focus up
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #1041
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah hoping that consistency part pays off here. I've been at it 30 years as well and legs always a sore spot for me. Ive gained some weight with my diet and train hard though always wonder why it hasnt paid off more, blame self, and am on a long term plan to get there. However I will never reach far enough so no worries about letting up anytime soon, hate days off and enjoy the work. Journey and all.
Don't you have a home gym setup 1MOREMOD? I remember you posting a picture some time ago you doing squats I think? I thought about a home gym but was worried about losing motivation cause it's at home
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #1042
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah I can do a few things at home but rarely try and do whole workout here. Have squat rack, bench, deadlift platform, dip station, pullups, some dbs, land mine, cardio equipment, still need more things. Once in whole will do shoulders or forearms and that sort of thing here. Mostly do stretching, cardio and rolling out muscles here. Always thought 200 was and of the road but wasnt big enough. Now 220, same so new plan is 240.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 08-14-2019 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #1043
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

IT is a struggle almost every damn day to do SOMETHING. I've been in the gym since age 16. Consistency has almost always been an issue. I've never had less than a 12-pack because #food, despite the diabeetus. If it weren't for the diabeetus I'd probably be 250-300lbs. As it is, 5' 9 3/4" (every little bit counts) sitting right at 200 when realistically I should be low 180s.

My biggest challenge is external influences. Wife is exercise-adverse, even after 20+ years doesn't seem to understand the NECESSITY of exercise for me to feel happy/healthy.

Swam last night to failure (cramp in the calf)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #1044
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Dont have issue with consistency personally, can't recall ever having more than few days off from the gym even vacation and surgeries. Now rare I miss a day and when I do I'm still doing cardio, stretching rolling, and so on.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #1045
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

There are times I'm too tired to go but I usually just automatically go before I convince myself not to go. Also, taking a preworkout while getting ready kinda jump starts me
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #1046
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You know what you're doing...you have put up impressive numbers. Sometimes some muscles just don't cooperate. Then you go on that endless journey of low weight high reps, high weight low reps, train every 3,4,5 days.....just trying to figure out what works for you.

But sometimes it's genetics. You're a tall person, so it will take quite a bit to show up. But I bet your making progress.

I have certain points that bite me in the ass when it comes to genetics. I feel like my bicep peaks aren't as good as they could be, my lats could insert lower into my waist line, I'm a "thick" guy....so not aesthetically pleasing to look at....and the list goes on.

But I workout with a guy that is about 1" taller than me, weighs about 230lbs, and has a 29" waist at its largest. Plus he can eat what and when he wants, and it doesn't matter. Genetics trump everything, but it doesn't mean you can't maximize your own and look completely different!
      08-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #1047
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I find clothes pin on my junk gets me fired up.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #1048
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know what you're doing...you have put up impressive numbers. Sometimes some muscles just don't cooperate. Then you go on that endless journey of low weight high reps, high weight low reps, train every 3,4,5 days.....just trying to figure out what works for you.

But sometimes it's genetics. You're a tall person, so it will take quite a bit to show up. But I bet your making progress.

I have certain points that bite me in the ass when it comes to genetics. I feel like my bicep peaks aren't as good as they could be, my lats could insert lower into my waist line, I'm a "thick" guy....so not aesthetically pleasing to look at....and the list goes on.

But I workout with a guy that is about 1" taller than me, weighs about 230lbs, and has a 29" waist at its largest. Plus he can eat what and when he wants, and it doesn't matter. Genetics trump everything, but it doesn't mean you can't maximize your own and look completely different!
Yeah trying to transition again back to heavier weight lower reps but it's slow, got used to the higher rep pump chasing.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #1049
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

A few things you could try as I've been there. Cut calories back slightly where you are still gaining.....but not as fast. It sucks, but the more you bulk the more you jack up your insulin resistance. That affects your muscle-fat partitioning levels.

Or one of my favorites is to bulk for 6 weeks, then diet hard for 2 weeks. You come out of the diet in a rebound, and the muscles just soak up everything like you just did a competition. It keeps your insulin sensitivity high which positively affects the partitioning level I mentioned above.

And you always end up a few lbs heavier each "cycle". It's 2 steps forward and 1 step back.....but you learn your body and how things affect it pretty well.

Plus you just came out of a large weight loss. You don't want to go too quickly as you want that lower weight to become your body's new setpoint to build on.

I know you're an all or nothing guy, but I was the same way. Just apply that to the training aspect for now, and maybe give the diet choices above a try to see what suits you best.
      08-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #1050
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
A few things you could try as I've been there. Cut calories back slightly where you are still gaining.....but not as fast. It sucks, but the more you bulk the more you jack up your insulin resistance. That affects your muscle-fat partitioning levels.

Or one of my favorites is to bulk for 6 weeks, then diet hard for 2 weeks. You come out of the diet in a rebound, and the muscles just soak up everything like you just did a competition. It keeps your insulin sensitivity high which positively affects the partitioning level I mentioned above.

And you always end up a few lbs heavier each "cycle". It's 2 steps forward and 1 step back.....but you learn your body and how things affect it pretty well.

Plus you just came out of a large weight loss. You don't want to go too quickly as you want that lower weight to become your body's new setpoint to build on.

I know you're an all or nothing guy, but I was the same way. Just apply that to the training aspect for now, and maybe give the diet choices above a try to see what suits you best.
Thanks man! I really appreciate that. I'm not too proud to say that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I'm just trying different things and seeing how my body responds. I only started working out in November and have NEVER worked out before. Crazy transformation to say the least.

Again, thanks a ton!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      08-15-2019, 05:18 AM   #1051
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man! I really appreciate that. I'm not too proud to say that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I'm just trying different things and seeing how my body responds. I only started working out in November and have NEVER worked out before. Crazy transformation to say the least.

Again, thanks a ton!

No problem. With your weight loss....you've already proven that you have the dedication and can apply it.

Training is easy. Diet is the hardest part of the equation. I'm sure you've heard that gym progress is 80% nutrition and 20% training.....well it's true.

Your body likes homeostasis. It will fight change whether good or bad like crazy. You just have to keep at it and find what works best for you and your schedule.

With the way we work....food intake will always be the hardest part!
      08-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #1052
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Again, thanks a ton!
Agree with Rmtt , but with that said don't overlook the proper way to train. You're on the right track with trying different things to see how your body responds, but you want to ensure you're getting the most out of your workouts. If bulking is truly your goal rep ranges change, and you have to be tough mentally. The way that I have gone into my workouts/sets is even when I am tired or the last set felt heavy I am attempting to add weight. Even if it is just a measly 5lbs.

With all of that said, proper form is key. Don't let pushing big weight guide how you lift. I'll see guys smaller than me lifting the same weights often, but the form is completely different. Where I know I am focusing on muscle contraction and extension, and they are just trying to get the weight up regardless of what muscle group they're hitting. Ego should be the last thing on your mind.

Everyone is different so it'll take some experimenting to get into a program that works best for you. Feel free to post what you're current workouts look like and we would be happy to help/critique!
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      08-15-2019, 07:27 AM   #1053
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thank you gents! I really don't want to get huge by any means, but I went about this the hard way. I'd rather be smallish and cut than to be big. In the beginning, I should have tried to turn my fat into muscle and then cut; I did it backwards. My thinking was that I see all the big guys at the gym that have no definition. Yes, they are big, but they have no muscle tone, they just look fat. For 8 months I focused more on shedding body fat and now I realize that I got way too small. It's odd that watching what you eat, keeping track of calories and my deficiency, then doing an hour (and more) of cardio 5 days a week helped me drop weight crazy fast, but I still had the same physique as I did before, just way smaller. Now that I realize I need to eat more and lift heavier to allow the muscle to help burn what fat I have left, it's a completely different experience.

As of now, starting 2 weeks ago, I've gone from eating 1600-1800 calories/day to around 2600-2800 calories/day. I've cut the cardio back to every other day and only do 30 minutes. I have also started lifting heavier and only every other day in order to allow the groups I'm focusing on to rest. I've also started staying away from the smith machine and rely more on dumbells, for now. I'm already seeing results in my chest shoulders and arms after only two weeks. I've also noticed my belly fat is decreasing somewhat, but also feel the additional weight I'm putting on the process.

When I started, I honestly thought it would be eating less junk (eating less in general), lifting some weights and doing some cardio to get where I wanted to be. Man was I ever wrong! It seems that everything is a catch 22 with this. To lose fat, you have to build muscle, which requires you to eat more and more often that I did when I was fat. I'm way more conscious of what I eat and when I eat now, but it seems I like eat all the damn time (I'm shoving steel cut oats and flak seed in my mouth as I'm typing this). My biggest issue is that I sit behind a desk for about 10 hours a day.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      08-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #1054
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you gents! I really don't want to get huge by any means, but I went about this the hard way. I'd rather be smallish and cut than to be big. In the beginning, I should have tried to turn my fat into muscle and then cut; I did it backwards. My thinking was that I see all the big guys at the gym that have no definition. Yes, they are big, but they have no muscle tone, they just look fat. For 8 months I focused more on shedding body fat and now I realize that I got way too small. It's odd that watching what you eat, keeping track of calories and my deficiency, then doing an hour (and more) of cardio 5 days a week helped me drop weight crazy fast, but I still had the same physique as I did before, just way smaller. Now that I realize I need to eat more and lift heavier to allow the muscle to help burn what fat I have left, it's a completely different experience.

As of now, starting 2 weeks ago, I've gone from eating 1600-1800 calories/day to around 2600-2800 calories/day. I've cut the cardio back to every other day and only do 30 minutes. I have also started lifting heavier and only every other day in order to allow the groups I'm focusing on to rest. I've also started staying away from the smith machine and rely more on dumbells, for now. I'm already seeing results in my chest shoulders and arms after only two weeks. I've also noticed my belly fat is decreasing somewhat, but also feel the additional weight I'm putting on the process.

When I started, I honestly thought it would be eating less junk (eating less in general), lifting some weights and doing some cardio to get where I wanted to be. Man was I ever wrong! It seems that everything is a catch 22 with this. To lose fat, you have to build muscle, which requires you to eat more and more often that I did when I was fat. I'm way more conscious of what I eat and when I eat now, but it seems I like eat all the damn time (I'm shoving steel cut oats and flak seed in my mouth as I'm typing this). My biggest issue is that I sit behind a desk for about 10 hours a day.
Hm thats a pretty large jump in calorie intake, that would explain why you put on a little bit of "chub" in the process. If you were to increase those calories incrementally you most likely wouldn't be putting on too much excess fat. For instance increase daily calories by 300/day/week rather then an abrupt 1000cal/day jump. If you give you're body more time to adapt to the calorie intake it will get accustomed to taking in those excess calories and burn them more efficiently. Also cutting the cardio to every other day most likely has an effect too. You can bulk and still do cardio (I do atleast a half hour a day and I can still put weight on).

Free weights should be your go to, but smith machines and other machines have their place to. They allow for more isolated movements to hit certain muscle groups. You don't have to completely cut those out either, just supplement them into certain aspects of your workouts. I would just suggest focusing on a "mind to muscle" connection. If you're doing an DB press on a flat bench you want to feel it in you're chest. If you're feeling too much tension in your shoulders then your form is most likely lacking (just an example).

They key is like you mentioned. Although you're eating more often and larger quantities the type of food you're eating has a purpose and isn't as bad for you. You've already taken a step in the right direction being conscious of what you're eating. I'm in a similar position with a desk job. That said you can make the best of it, I have a standing desk that I utilize often. I probably stand for half of my day if I were to guess. After lunch I'll usually step out of the office for a 15min walk as well, I feel that it helps my digestion process as well as keeps me active to an extent.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      08-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #1055
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Hm thats a pretty large jump in calorie intake, that would explain why you put on a little bit of "chub" in the process. If you were to increase those calories incrementally you most likely wouldn't be putting on too much excess fat. For instance increase daily calories by 300/day/week rather then an abrupt 1000cal/day jump. If you give you're body more time to adapt to the calorie intake it will get accustomed to taking in those excess calories and burn them more efficiently. Also cutting the cardio to every other day most likely has an effect too. You can bulk and still do cardio (I do atleast a half hour a day and I can still put weight on).

Free weights should be your go to, but smith machines and other machines have their place to. They allow for more isolated movements to hit certain muscle groups. You don't have to completely cut those out either, just supplement them into certain aspects of your workouts. I would just suggest focusing on a "mind to muscle" connection. If you're doing an DB press on a flat bench you want to feel it in you're chest. If you're feeling too much tension in your shoulders then your form is most likely lacking (just an example).

They key is like you mentioned. Although you're eating more often and larger quantities the type of food you're eating has a purpose and isn't as bad for you. You've already taken a step in the right direction being conscious of what you're eating. I'm in a similar position with a desk job. That said you can make the best of it, I have a standing desk that I utilize often. I probably stand for half of my day if I were to guess. After lunch I'll usually step out of the office for a 15min walk as well, I feel that it helps my digestion process as well as keeps me active to an extent.
+1. Keep your cardio in if only for heart health. Plus it will help keep your metabolism humming along allowing you to eat more. Just as JP10 said....you don't need huge increments in food to make gains....especially if at a desk most of the time.

You said you started tracking calories during your weight loss journey. So you already got this whipped man! Just do the same with bulking. Sometimes it only takes 100-200 calories a day extra to get the surplus you need.

For example when I left for vacation, I was cutting on about 2900 calories. When I get back, I plan to only raise my calories by 200 a day. I will stay there until weight gain comes to a halt, then increase by another 200 calories. And then I just rinse and repeat. This allows your body to add muscle while keeping fat increase to a minimal.

Before you know it, you will be eating 3500 calories a day and carrying enough muscle to support it.

Also don't underestimate the value of staying as lean as you can while bulking. I bet as skinny as you thought you were, you looked bigger than most people thought.

In the off season I stay around 210lbs. Now I'm 192lbs and people at the gym thought I was actually gaining weight. It's an illusion.

You got this man.....we all have your back!!!
King Rudi13152.00
      08-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #1056
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
+1. Keep your cardio in if only for heart health. Plus it will help keep your metabolism humming along allowing you to eat more. Just as JP10 said....you don't need huge increments in food to make gains....especially if at a desk most of the time.

You said you started tracking calories during your weight loss journey. So you already got this whipped man! Just do the same with bulking. Sometimes it only takes 100-200 calories a day extra to get the surplus you need.

For example when I left for vacation, I was cutting on about 2900 calories. When I get back, I plan to only raise my calories by 200 a day. I will stay there until weight gain comes to a halt, then increase by another 200 calories. And then I just rinse and repeat. This allows your body to add muscle while keeping fat increase to a minimal.

Before you know it, you will be eating 3500 calories a day and carrying enough muscle to support it.

Also don't underestimate the value of staying as lean as you can while bulking. I bet as skinny as you thought you were, you looked bigger than most people thought.

In the off season I stay around 210lbs. Now I'm 192lbs and people at the gym thought I was actually gaining weight. It's an illusion.

You got this man.....we all have your back!!!
Much appreciated!

I don't have any friends that work out or anyone to train with....and I don't trust the trainers at the gym; one is fat as hell and the other two ooze this god-like complex because they are trainers at a Planet Fitness. I totally get that my gym is the Wal-Mart or McDonalds as far as gyms are concerned, but the other 2 gyms in town are swimming with 2 types - douche bags and local police officers. Nothing against police officers in general, but I live in a small town and let's just say I have a checkered past....so Planet Fitness is better than nothing. I'll eagerly accept any advice. The majority of my info and training knowledge comes from hours of scouring the internet (although everything a person reads is contradictory to everything they read before...or will read next - one person says one thing, someone else says something completely different) and pure experimentation based off what my body responds to.

I'm going to lower my caloric intake a little for the rest of this bulk phase. I'll keep doing cardio 2-3 times/week for 30 minutes as well. Come the 15th of September, I'll cut for 2 weeks, keep "trying" (I know I'll lose a little muscle and strength during my cut phase) to lift at the same level I'm at now and increase cardio to 45 minutes; then see where I'm at.

Thanks again for the advice! I've been relentless on this since November. I do get frustrated sometimes, but oddly enough anytime that I bitch within a couple of days, whatever I bitch about I see results in. Either way, once I set my mind to something I'm like a fully loaded Mack truck going down hill with no brakes. I'll get to where I want to be, I just wish I wasn't so damn impatient.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00