BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Carplay

03-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Carplay

Guys, I need some help with the WiFi and Bluetooth set up. Before I initiated the car WiFi connection with AT&T, everything was working fine. My phone would connect to the car and I could go to the Mobile Phones screen and select to have either the BMW navigation or Waze through the Apple Car Play. No problems.

After I started the introductory WiFi plan and connected my car to the WiFi hotspot, things seem to be working differently. I can no longer activate Waze or other Apple Car Play functions on my screen. Whenever I select the Apple Car Play option in the phone menu, my phone connection disconnects, the voice commands are no longer available, and Waze doesn’t go on when I hit map or navigation as it used to.

I feel like I am missing something very simple but can’t figure it out. Thanks in advance.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

While you are answering about carplay... I used Waze for the first time yesterday. My mad didn't change. Everything looked the same. But I did get speed camera warnings that popped up. Is that all you get with Waze? I thought there would be a different map or something. Just wondering.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Unpair your phone then try again? It could be needing a software update
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
While you are answering about carplay... I used Waze for the first time yesterday. My mad didn't change. Everything looked the same. But I did get speed camera warnings that popped up. Is that all you get with Waze? I thought there would be a different map or something. Just wondering.
Did you mean to say your "map" didn't change?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
BTW little tip with Waze (and other CarPlay enabled apps). I prefer Apple/Google map's visual experience over Waze; however, I do like the police, construction, etc alerts. When you're going on a trip, load Waze and enter your destination and then load the same destination on Apple or Google maps (which will be in the foreground). As you drive, you'll get audible alerts from Waze from the background.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
Did you mean to say your "map" didn't change?
Yes. Sorry I'm new to Waze and don't know what to expect. I only tried it once and already ten minutes away from my destination so it didn't really get a chance to do anything.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
Guys, I need some help with the WiFi and Bluetooth set up. Before I initiated the car WiFi connection with AT&T, everything was working fine. My phone would connect to the car and I could go to the Mobile Phones screen and select to have either the BMW navigation or Waze through the Apple Car Play. No problems.

After I started the introductory WiFi plan and connected my car to the WiFi hotspot, things seem to be working differently. I can no longer activate Waze or other Apple Car Play functions on my screen. Whenever I select the Apple Car Play option in the phone menu, my phone connection disconnects, the voice commands are no longer available, and Waze doesn’t go on when I hit map or navigation as it used to.

I feel like I am missing something very simple but can’t figure it out. Thanks in advance.
Shot in the dark here, but if you are trying to connect your iPhone to the car's wi-fi instead of your own phone's wireless dataplan you can't do that. The iPhone needs to be connected to AT&T, Verizon, etc. to work CarPlay properly on the BMW. The wi-fi in the car is designed for your kids to stream YouTube on their iPad's on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
When you say "my map didn't change", what are you seeing? The BMW map? The Apple Map in CarPlay? You need to be in CarPlay mode and tap on the Waze icon to bring it to the foreground.

Also, there is a feature in CarPlay on the lower left of the screen that looks like a set of boxes or dots. Click that to bring up the icons for all the apps, tap Waze there.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
BTW little tip with Waze (and other CarPlay enabled apps). I prefer Apple/Google map's visual experience over Waze; however, I do like the police, construction, etc alerts. When you're going on a trip, load Waze and enter your destination and then load the same destination on Apple or Google maps (which will be in the foreground). As you drive, you'll get audible alerts from Waze from the background.
Actually, just put the destination you are navigating to in Google Maps.

Then just launch Waze (don't enter a destination).

And then just tap to bring Google Maps to the foreground.

Just running Waze in the background behind where you're navigating to is enough, it will give you audio alerts and a pop up alert atop the Google Maps screen.

Pro tip: You can do this even when you're not navigating anywhere. So long as Waze is in the background (or foreground for that matter) it will give you speed trap and obstruction alerts in the same manner. No destination required. I use it this way all the time. Google Maps always on my screen, Waze always running in the background, I get those handy police alerts.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      03-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Actually, just put the destination you are navigating to in Google Maps.

Then just launch Waze (don't enter a destination).

Just running Waze in the background behind where you're navigating to is enough, it will give you audio alerts and a pop up alert atop the Google Maps screen.

Pro tip: You can do this even when you're not navigating anywhere. So long as Waze is in the background (or foreground for that matter) it will give you speed trap and obstruction alerts in the same manner. No destination required. I use it this way all the time. Google Maps always on my screen, Waze always running in the background, I get those handy police alerts.
Nice! Good to know ... I've always put in a destination.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Happy to help. Putting destinations into two maps running concurrently will give you a headache with both voice agents speaking at the same time.

Google foreground, Waze background, best of both worlds.

Google owns them both, by the way. Wish they would just enable the option for the new Google Maps police alertrs to work in CarPlay. They work when using the iPhone as a standalone nav.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Happy to help. Putting destinations into two maps running concurrently will give you a headache with both voice agents speaking at the same time.

Google foreground, Waze background, best of both worlds.

Google owns them both, by the way. Wish they would just enable the option for the new Google Maps police alertrs to work in CarPlay. They work when using the iPhone as a standalone nav.
Ditto. I've been wondering if they would integrate the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
aas5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
I've tried that a couple of times but it didn't make any difference. My phone stays connected no problem when I select the BMW connect option under Mobile Phones, and it disconnects when I select the Apple Car Play option.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
I've tried that a couple of times but it didn't make any difference. My phone stays connected no problem when I select the BMW connect option under Mobile Phones, and it disconnects when I select the Apple Car Play option.
Boy that is super frustrating! Sounds like you're in the process of ruling out potential issues. Out of curiosity, have you 1) hard reset your iPhone lately 2) tried another iPhone to see if the same issue exists?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #15
aas5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Boy that is super frustrating! Sounds like you're in the process of ruling out potential issues. Out of curiosity, have you 1) hard reset your iPhone lately 2) tried another iPhone to see if the same issue exists?
Let me try and I will report back.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 01:18 AM   #16
Pluto01
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 M3 & x7

If it helps, I'm now having the same issue - was working great. Now, I cannot get CarPlay to work at all. I'll keep trying all of the tricks to start back from zero and will report back if I learn anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #17
aas5
Captain
Rep

Thanks. I haven't had a lot of time in my car in the last two weeks but will check as well this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #18
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

On your iPhone:

1. Tap Settings > General > CarPlay
2. Under MY CAR, tap "BMW ?????"
3. Tap Forget This Car
4. In iDrive, repair your iPhone to use CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #19
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
On your iPhone:

1. Tap Settings > General > CarPlay
2. Under MY CAR, tap "BMW ?????"
3. Tap Forget This Car
4. In iDrive, repair your iPhone to use CarPlay
I'll have to give that a try. Everything was working nicely for me; each time I got in the car, it would connect to CarPlay. Last week I started seeing varying behavior: sometimes it would connect right away, other times a few minutes later while I was driving, and the majority of the time, I have to manually connect or restart my iPhone (then it connects right away).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 05:50 AM   #20
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

on a different carplay topic ......

Has anyone managed to get any third party nav apps working in the carplay dashboard after the 13.4 update ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #21
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post

Has anyone managed to get any third party nav apps working in the carplay dashboard after the 13.4 update ?
Haven't tried yet. You?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #22
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post

Haven't tried yet. You?
I have tried Google and Waze and can't find anything in the settings to add them to the dashboard ...... just wondered if I was missing a setting ?