BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Production Order Number Issue

05-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
BasherColorado
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Production Order Number Issue

Hey All,

Have a production order in with BMW for a '20 X7 M50i. Put the order in on May 3rd, knowing the factory was reopening May 4th. For that whole week, it showed "Order Received" and, on May 11th, it changed to "Scheduled for Production".

I ended up calling the client line to get more information and the person I spoke with said it was scheduled to begin production sometime between June 3rd and 7th. Yikes - but fine.

A couple days pass, and my X7 disappeared off of MyGarage. I went to add it back with the production number and it said the production number is invalid.

I call the client line back and they, too, say that my production number is giving them an error. However, the guy said, "the last time I saw this meant it was being changed to the next model year". He directed me to contact the dealership I am building with to get more information.

Well, my dealer has an ask out to his regional rep and it's been about a week without any answers. Kind of frustrating - especially when dealing with a $118k vehicle but, regardless, you think there would be better information given with such changes.

Of course I'm fine with a '21 model if the same terms are still applied as previously agreed upon - but my question is - is this also happening to anyone else either currently or in the past? What was the reason/outcome?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasherColorado View Post
Hey All,

Have a production order in with BMW for a '20 X7 M50i. Put the order in on May 3rd, knowing the factory was reopening May 4th. For that whole week, it showed "Order Received" and, on May 11th, it changed to "Scheduled for Production".

I ended up calling the client line to get more information and the person I spoke with said it was scheduled to begin production sometime between June 3rd and 7th. Yikes - but fine.

A couple days pass, and my X7 disappeared off of MyGarage. I went to add it back with the production number and it said the production number is invalid.

I call the client line back and they, too, say that my production number is giving them an error. However, the guy said, "the last time I saw this meant it was being changed to the next model year". He directed me to contact the dealership I am building with to get more information.

Well, my dealer has an ask out to his regional rep and it's been about a week without any answers. Kind of frustrating - especially when dealing with a $118k vehicle but, regardless, you think there would be better information given with such changes.

Of course I'm fine with a '21 model if the same terms are still applied as previously agreed upon - but my question is - is this also happening to anyone else either currently or in the past? What was the reason/outcome?

Thanks!

This just happened to me. I placed an order for a 2020 X7 40i the first week of May. I was just informed this morning by the dealership that my order was pulled and will be submitted in June as a 2021 model. Apparently with tight inventory, BMW is instead choosing to restock dealership inventories (and at least putting my customer order later in the timeline). Wanted to pass this along to the community and saw your post.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
BasherColorado
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
Quote:
Hey All,

Thanks!

This just happened to me. I placed an order for a 2020 X7 40i the first week of May. I was just informed this morning by the dealership that my order was pulled and will be submitted in June as a 2021 model. Apparently with tight inventory, BMW is instead choosing to restock dealership inventories (and at least putting my customer order later in the timeline). Wanted to pass this along to the community and saw your post.
Did they give you any other information, such as pricing, terms, incentives?

Obviously a '21 may very well end up having less incentives than a '20 and the pricing could also change - is your dealer still honoring the previous terms?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
jmcd2524
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i M Sport

Same exact situation has happened with the X7 40i order I placed in early May. I'm told that I am likely to get a 2021 versus the 2020 I ordered at this point but nothing has been confirmed. I haven't broached the subject of a price change for the 2021 version, but if it does come up I am digging my heels in. Anyone know of what additional features might be added into the 2021 model from the 2020? Love to see the Laserlights added! I know wishful thinking right?...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did they give you any other information, such as pricing, terms, incentives?

Obviously a '21 may very well end up having less incentives than a '20 and the pricing could also change - is your dealer still honoring the previous terms?

It's still too early. No details. My sales advisor said they have zero information on the 2021 models (changes, pricing, etc.). I assume (and will push) that they honor the pricing we have agreed upon. At the very least locking in the % off MSRP - I wouldn't expect to see any significant pricing changes and would hope that there are more "standard' features in the MY2021. (Laser lights definitely wishful thinking! - I understand it was a supply issue to begin with and I don't see COVID improving that situation any.)
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
BasherColorado
Registered
Rep

I guess it all just seems odd to me. I know COVID is messing things up across the board but you'd think that BMW would prioritize ordered vehicles as they should be marked as "sold"...rather than adding to the build up of X7's that is happening on lots across the country.

Nevertheless, it seems a little "early" for '21s, no? I suppose I've never really looked into acquiring a vehicle that was the newer year while still in the previous year...but it just makes me wonder what more that is going to screw up...have to rebuild with new packages, options, pricing...and most importantly, timeline. I have a current lease expiring in September and I thought it would be lining up nearly perfect...now I'm thinking I might be without a vehicle for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Most auto companies sometimes have updates and running changes planned. Considering nearly 60 days of no production for most, they are scrapping those changes and bundling them straight it the new model changes which usually switch around this time of year. I've seen new model years start as early as Mar and as late as Sept.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Production Timing

I spoke to the dealership again.

Orders placed after May 1 were essentially deleted and will be moved to June order date. This was done because of the factory shutdown backlog. June production allocations are already spoken for by orders placed in March and April.

For May orders, there's a small chance it gets a July build date but I've been told it's more likely to be an August production date. The factory switches to MY2021 in August. So if it's somehow moved to August it will be a MY2021 vehicle. Takeaway: if you custom order a newbuild now, it's likely a 2-3+ month wait and most likely will be 2021 vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #9
BasherColorado
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
I spoke to the dealership again.

Orders placed after May 1 were essentially deleted and will be moved to June order date. This was done because of the factory shutdown backlog. June production allocations are already spoken for by orders placed in March and April.

For May orders, there's a small chance it gets a July build date but I've been told it's more likely to be an August production date. The factory switches to MY2021 in August. So if it's somehow moved to August it will be a MY2021 vehicle. Takeaway: if you custom order a newbuild now, it's likely a 2-3+ month wait and most likely will be 2021 vehicle.
Did you get any indication as to what happens with the old production number? As in, does the dealership need to resubmit a build at the end of the month or is BMW tracking this someone to automatically resume the builds it deleted?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 05:02 AM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Interesting that this is all coming up, but it doesn't surprise me too much. COVID is definitely going to affect production for several more months, and this just seems to be one of the ways it's panning out.

Yes, MY changeover on the X7 line seems to happen in August, but that timing might get messed up with COVID too. We'll see.

Naturally, we're all interested in specs and prices for MY2021 when that comes out.
Appreciate 0