F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Customised my door card arm rest
Studio RSR

09-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Customised my door card arm rest

My driverside door card's arm rest had completely worn through.. the leather was peeling and looked nasty.

Looking around on eBay seems to show that it's a common issue especially with coral red as black hides it.

So instead of buying a replacement I opted for a little more alcantara and some DIY

Super simple to remove panels from the door cards, you just need to drill out the plastic weld centres and refill them with a plastic filler such as jbweld.

The arm rest trim also needed the seam/stitching canals removing with some filler. Especially as panel alcantara shows EVERYTHING behind them so you need a super smooth surface.

Going to live with it for a few weeks and decide whether I like it or whether I'm ordering in some coral red leather to replicate the old design.
Appreciate 5
eff32fl1084.50
MTTH232.50
Dagstar381.00
J555568.50
      09-11-2022, 09:56 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Very nice looks great.

I've thought about ordering some M4 door cards and getting some custom leather colors (blue) to match my exterior paint color. Looks like the arm rest isn't terribly difficult to customize but the leather on the door card itself would have to be stitched so would probably have to pay a shop to do it.

I saw an awesome F82 with custom yellow leather on the door cards which gave me the idea (stole the idea lol). Apparently the guy does his own upholstery. He even changed the top stitching color on the leather on the top of the "full leather" door card. Check post #27 by x.shell in the thread below maybe it can give you some ideas. Check his other posts as well in the same thread he's done a lot to his interior.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1941804&page=2
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 06:02 AM   #3
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Very nice looks great.

I've thought about ordering some M4 door cards and getting some custom leather colors (blue) to match my exterior paint color. Looks like the arm rest isn't terribly difficult to customize but the leather on the door card itself would have to be stitched so would probably have to pay a shop to do it.

I saw an awesome F82 with custom yellow leather on the door cards which gave me the idea (stole the idea lol). Apparently the guy does his own upholstery. He even changed the top stitching color on the leather on the top of the "full leather" door card. Check post #27 by x.shell in the thread below maybe it can give you some ideas. Check his other posts as well in the same thread he's done a lot to his interior.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1941804&page=2
Yeah they're super easy as it all splits apart real easy.

Yeah I know the guy! Emre.

I can't remember how we got talking but we've both been doing bits and sharing advice/tips, he liked my rear parcel shelf job so I made him one to build too. He's got a lot more balls (and money) to go full scale like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

what are those side buttons on your steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #5
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
The two red buttons? If so they control my exhaust.. I have a two pipe system after the downpipe that lets me bypass the resonator and muffler, however it's a bit much to constantly have going so I fitted an aftermarket valve to mute it a bit (that's what they control)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 06:25 PM   #6
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
Quote:
The two red buttons? If so they control my exhaust.. I have a two pipe system after the downpipe that lets me bypass the resonator and muffler, however it's a bit much to constantly have going so I fitted an aftermarket valve to mute it a bit (that's what they control)
is that like an aftermarket kit for steering wheels? i know some car manufacturers have buttons like that OEM
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
is that like an aftermarket kit for steering wheels? i know some car manufacturers have buttons like that OEM
Nah nobody makes anything for our cars so I drew something up.

I created a 2 button holder that bolts onto the side of your steering wheel backing trim, then I had two backlit push buttons laser etched with an exhaust open / close graphic.

The buttons are wired up to my wireless fob which is stuck down inside of the steering wheel trim as there was no spare access to the clock spring loom
Appreciate 1
toxik2522.50
      09-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #8
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I created a 2 button holder that bolts onto the side of your steering wheel backing trim, then I had two backlit push buttons laser etched with an exhaust open / close graphic.

The buttons are wired up to my wireless fob which is stuck down inside of the steering wheel trim as there was no spare access to the clock spring loom
nice good work!
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2022, 07:00 PM   #9
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:

Very nice. That's a lot cooler than programming your mirror buttons to open and close the valves.
Appreciate 1