F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Alcantara and carbon seat controls
Studio RSR

05-15-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Alcantara and carbon seat controls

Car was off the road for ages thanks to Bilstein.. so I began stripping the interior for upgrades seen as I had plenty of time

After a second set of control faces from eBay (mishap with the epoxy on the button inserts) I finally got them finished and re-installed. I laser etched the airbag logo so that I could retain the oem design.

Would I do it again? Nope. Trying to offset the buttons with resin whilst also keeping the resin out of the button inserts was such a PITA. It matches the rest of my interior and seat backs though so I'm happy.

Maybe the seat pulls/handles next?
eleven11376.00
      10-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
ThatOne340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
i did my piece in carbon and left the button area in plastic
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #3
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

There's a German company that sells this piece in all carbon. They're not cheap though.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
There's a German company that sells this piece in all carbon. They're not cheap though.
The outer bit? If so that's probably Benda. They're charge pretty big money for their work, but then there's not many others out there doing it.

Personally I couldn't justify dropping that kind of money on a small interior mod, but I totally understand why they charge those rates because its days of hard graft to produce carbon skinning like that. For example that small control panel cost me around £150 in material costs once I was done, that's without any labour costs either.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 02:45 AM   #5
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Im not sure about the appearance of the carbon, it looks way more different that the BMW stock used waves. I wouldn't say thats cheap but if you have OEM performance parts into your car, the difference is clearly visible.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 03:02 AM   #6
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
The outer bit? If so that's probably Benda. They're charge pretty big money for their work, but then there's not many others out there doing it.

Personally I couldn't justify dropping that kind of money on a small interior mod, but I totally understand why they charge those rates because its days of hard graft to produce carbon skinning like that. For example that small control panel cost me around £150 in material costs once I was done, that's without any labour costs either.
Yeah Benda.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 03:04 AM   #7
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Im not sure about the appearance of the carbon, it looks way more different that the BMW stock used waves. I wouldn't say thats cheap but if you have OEM performance parts into your car, the difference is clearly visible.
Gloss carbon looks way better than open pore carbon imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Gloss carbon looks way better than open pore carbon imo.
Thats right, but glossy carbon wasn't installed into F3x series but F8x series.
E.g., when you are gonna buy the performance shift case F3x series OEM, this is open pore carbon. For the F8x this is glossy finish and you have the opportunity to buy them additionally for the trim.
What he has installed looks neither to classify.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #9
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Thats right, but glossy carbon wasn't installed into F3x series but F8x series.
E.g., when you are gonna buy the performance shift case F3x series OEM, this is open pore carbon. For the F8x this is glossy finish and you have the opportunity to buy them additionally for the trim.
What he has installed looks neither to classify.
The carbon fabric I used is plain weave 1x1. What you're referring to is 2x2 twill weave which is more commonly know for it's cosmetic purposes as it's not as strong.

I do like 2x2 twill weave however once I saw plain weave in person my preference totally changed. I'm not sure if it's because the weave looks sharper or if its just because you see so much fake 2x2 twill weave in a lot of cars these days, plain weave totally hits different for me though.

Next time you see a Ferrari or Porsche check out their carbon fiber interior and exterior (providing its not aftermarket) - plain weave was actually some of the first weaves used in F1 because of its stiffer rigidity making it a stronger composite than what you see on a lot of cars these days.

The open pore fabric you mention really doesn't do much for me, it's not actually traditional twill weave either, what BMW uses for their M Performance range is a 5HS weave fabric, it has similar properties to the twill weave but lays better with less epoxy.

All my carbon interior trims have been skinned in gloss plain weave to match, including the dash accent line. We're all different though.. some people like honey comb pattern carbon but I draw the line there haha.

Last edited by fortythirtyfive; 10-06-2022 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #10
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I imagine open pore carbon is harder to keep clean as well. Dirt and grime has to get into the weave since there's no clear coat.

Agreed, not a fan of the honeycomb carbon either lol.

I've seen some blue carbon that looks pretty dang spiffy, I've thought about using that in my interior instead of standard black carbon but I have a blue car and don't want too much blue (after adding other blue accents in the interior).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 04:10 AM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Yeah, I had also developed a taste for blue colored carbon parts but actually Im done into my interior.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 06:33 AM   #12
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I spent 2-3 years trying to master carbon kevlar fabric in red. The issue when adding a colour is it naturally shows every slip in the fabric, this is a great example:

This actually happens in traditional carbon fiber however due to there darkness of the composites you don't really see the weave slipping.

I truly believe the only way to master colour decorative fabrics is to either use prepreg (you cannot skin with prepreg though only mould) or add a colour pigment into your epoxy top coat, however you would end up with just one colour rather than dark grey and colour.
Appreciate 0