BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum You thought the LCI X7 looked bad, new 7 series is worse.

01-19-2023, 09:47 AM   #23
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
What's interesting to me is how BMW Motorrad has been knocking it out of the park with design and products the past 10+ years while the automotive division is been going the opposite way. Everyone is jumping onto ultra futuristic design, sure do that with the i cars, but at least keep some models close to your roots. At least the new 2 series still looks like a modern BMW. Both times to the dealer this month saw the new M4 and don't think that is ever gonna grow on me either.
My take as well. Why not go do avant-garde designs with the “i line” to separate it with these new looks to keep them unique but keep the core line of BMW with traditional BMW designs? It seems incredibly shortsighted. They missed the mark and didn’t think this through with a two tier design plan.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #24
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
My take as well. Why not go do avant-garde designs with the “i line” to separate it with these new looks to keep them unique but keep the core line of BMW with traditional BMW designs? It seems incredibly shortsighted. They missed the mark and didn’t think this through with a two tier design plan.
Because “we” are not making design decisions and in their mind if people keep buying, their design changes are validated. Saw someone post x7 sales are up 63% (or something like that). Until there are unsold cars sitting on dealer lots, they have the upper hand.

And I am in the group that is likely going to buy it. My concern is more with losing buttons inside the car than lights. I spend a lot more time interacting with inside than admiring it from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:15 AM   #25
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Why not go do avant-garde designs with the “i line” to separate it with these new looks to keep them unique but keep the core line of BMW with traditional BMW designs?
In a way, that is what their strategy is. BMW is keeping their bread and butter "core line of BMW" 3 and 5 class vehicles looking normal, and doing experimental stuff with the 7 / X7 / XM.

Most manufacturers keep their ICE cars normal and make their EVs look weird, which makes no sense. Just like the 735i and 750d and 750e look the exact same, logically there's no reason for the full EV version to look different.

And BMW would be doing these weird designs even if the vehicles weren't EVs, as we can see with the 4 series and XM.

It's great that you can get an i1/3/5 and iX1/3/5 and visually it's the same as the ICE version. But it's unfortunate that they're screwing up the top tier cars so bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:42 AM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
In a way, that is what their strategy is. BMW is keeping their bread and butter "core line of BMW" 3 and 5 class vehicles looking normal, and doing experimental stuff with the 7 / X7 / XM.

Most manufacturers keep their ICE cars normal and make their EVs look weird, which makes no sense. Just like the 735i and 750d and 750e look the exact same, logically there's no reason for the full EV version to look different.

And BMW would be doing these weird designs even if the vehicles weren't EVs, as we can see with the 4 series and XM.

It's great that you can get an i1/3/5 and iX1/3/5 and visually it's the same as the ICE version. But it's unfortunate that they're screwing up the top tier cars so bad.
My issue and real world reality is I would consider the top tier buyers the most conservative. Sure I might roll the dice with a weird looking $60k BMW to stand out from the rest of the herd as that price point is crowded. The $110k up is a different story as it represents the best the manufacturer can achieve in BMW. These buyers don’t need to “price point” shop so taking design risks is not only dangerous losing one sale but multiple sales as this tier of buyer buys many vehicles and you want this level of buyer loyal to the brand.

This is how successful dealerships work as they want to sell you 8 cars not only the car they are currently trying to sell you. This is why my dealership is nervous as hell because they’re going to lose $500k of future car sales if BMW chases me away to another luxury brand which they already know my sales are split between Porsche and BMW currently.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:57 AM   #27
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimapb View Post
I remember seeing very similar comments about the LCI X7 when it was first unveiled and now everyone seems to love the new look and says how much better it looks in person. I actually own a 2023 760 and get compliments on it all the time. To me, it’s a beautiful car which is leaps and bounds better than my previous 2017 750 and 2020 740.
I remember that too. 😂😂😂. Same with the grill on the M3 and now magically those can’t stay in showroom more than 5 mins. Americans just don’t embrace change of any kind, so our initial instinct is to be critical and complain.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 11:22 AM   #28
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Its not an American thing. Bangle design change was blasted in Europe. How much have Toyota & Honda changed past 2 decades, every Nissan the past 25 years is basically the same, Subarus don't change much, RRs very little change in many generations, VWs are pretty much same boring design.

Porsche is the only one that gets it, not talking about the VW Audi SUVs. I love every 911 gen, Caymans & Boxsters always look good, didn't like early Panamera's but not that bad these days and perhaps my next large sedan, even the Taycan isn't too far from their heritage.

Defenders always appealed to me and I actually like the new one, would replace the X7 if it could match the options.

My main issue is BMW has become a follower, I remember when cars started having trim which for the exhaust exit and never thought BMW would follow but they did, I want nice actual exhaust tips out the back not a bare pipe hidden by cheesy trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZBMerLife View Post
I remember that too. 😂😂😂. Same with the grill on the M3 and now magically those can’t stay in showroom more than 5 mins. Americans just don’t embrace change of any kind, so our initial instinct is to be critical and complain.
Appreciate 0