F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F31 suspension guide & discussion
ARMA SPEED

08-17-2022, 10:12 PM   #199
RobbE30
Rep
Drives: E30, F31, E92

Hello! My 2014 F31 M-sport 328i xdrive now has 65,000 miles and it needs some suspension love. I've read through the entire thread, but am a little confused about the earlier comments of reverse rake.

I'm interested in the Eibach E10-20-031-14-22 springs and Bilstein B6 combination, but what's confusing me is that at the beginning of the thread (years ago!) this combination resulted in reverse rake, but now it doesn't?

I'm just after a little lower stance and less lean, and feel like coilovers would be overkill for my purposes.

I plan to do the swap myself, and will follow the recommendation to replace the f&r top hats, bump stops, dust boots, and top and bottom isolators.

Thanks in advance!! (I hope you guys are still 'there'!)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 09:53 AM   #200
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbE30 View Post
Hello! My 2014 F31 M-sport 328i xdrive now has 65,000 miles and it needs some suspension love. I've read through the entire thread, but am a little confused about the earlier comments of reverse rake.

I'm interested in the Eibach E10-20-031-14-22 springs and Bilstein B6 combination, but what's confusing me is that at the beginning of the thread (years ago!) this combination resulted in reverse rake, but now it doesn't?

I'm just after a little lower stance and less lean, and feel like coilovers would be overkill for my purposes.

I plan to do the swap myself, and will follow the recommendation to replace the f&r top hats, bump stops, dust boots, and top and bottom isolators.

Thanks in advance!! (I hope you guys are still 'there'!)
I don't have the time to read through 10 pages, but to address your concerns:

Reverse Rake is the visual perception that tire to fender lip gap in the front is greater than the gap in the rear. BMW sets up their XDrive cars this way. On of the advantages of using Eibach springs is that the typically design their spring kits to drop the front more than the rear to lessen reverse rake.

The Eibach -14 spring kit that you have identified is estimated to drop your car by Front 30mm/ Rear 15mm (so F1.2"/R0.6"). I have found Eibach drop estimates to be fairly accurate. Using these Eibach springs alone with stock dampers would substantially decrease your XDrive reverse rake appearance.

However installing Bilstein B6 dampers will change those drops because the Bilstein spring perch differs from OEM.

Watch this video for explanation:

I would not recommend the B6. B6 are much stiffer than stock dampers so there's the potential that you will find their ride too harsh. B6's are not adjustable.

Based on your comments I would use Koni dampers with the Eibach springs. They will meet your goals. They don't have the Bilstein spring perch height issue.

Your car can take either Koni Special Active or Koni Yellow Sport. See photo for part numbers. They overlap in terms of ride. They both provide excellent sportiness and comfort. SA's have greater potential comfort and the Yellows lean more towards sportiness. If I tracked on weekends I'd probably choose Tellows. The Yellows are manually adjustable for comfort, but on their softest setting they still can't achieve the comfort level of SA's. So basically it's your choice based on your priorities.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      08-19-2022, 10:09 PM   #201
RobbE30
Rep

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

My confusion about the reverse rake was that it seemed earlier in the thread someone commented that the Eibach/B6 combo caused reverse rake, but now I'm clear.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #202
A340600driver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW f31/f25/e85

Quick question , I know the part numbers are different but would it be possible to install H and r lowering springs from an f30 xdrive to my f31 x drive . The drops are very similar and I am aware the f31 is heavier in the rear . My friend has a set for free so just wondering . Thanks .
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 08:07 AM   #203
Lada-1
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 340iX

What are the available EDC coilovers for F31 xDrive?
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #204
valespring
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328D M Sport // X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lada-1 View Post
What are the available EDC coilovers for F31 xDrive?
I think it's currently only the Bilstein B16 Damptronic (49-255980) and the KW DDC (39020033).

Last edited by valespring; 01-12-2023 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 06:50 AM   #205
RobbE30
Rep

Wondering about sway bars + Koni shocks but not springs

Hey guys - so I've been thinking lately that I don't necessarily want to go too low or stiff with springs, and that really what I'm after is just less body roll and perhaps slightly stiffer damping.

What I haven't read here is anything related to swapping out the sway bars with thicker versions? Has anyone done this? What's available and from whom?

Also, my control arm bushings need to be replaced and I'm wondering if there are harder durometer bushings available for the F31? Or perhaps harder + offset? I think that could sharpen up the feel just a bit too - thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 12:48 PM   #206
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbE30 View Post
Hey guys - so I've been thinking lately that I don't necessarily want to go too low or stiff with springs, and that really what I'm after is just less body roll and perhaps slightly stiffer damping.

What I haven't read here is anything related to swapping out the sway bars with thicker versions? Has anyone done this? What's available and from whom?

Also, my control arm bushings need to be replaced and I'm wondering if there are harder durometer bushings available for the F31? Or perhaps harder + offset? I think that could sharpen up the feel just a bit too - thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
There is an entire thread dedicated to sway bar discussion https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1418092
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:27 PM   #207
SiNiSon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d Touring

This is a great thread.. thanks for all the super detailed info.. I have a 2015 F31 that's coming up for new shoes as well as new suspension.. been thinking of going a little mad max though. Small lift, 16's with some more country road than road tires? I have seen one or two that were done (with lift by spacers...) has anyone else gone up instead of down?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 07:18 AM   #208
RobbE30
Rep

Thanks Riesko! Wow, that is a ton of information ... almost too much haha.

After reading through all of the input on sways I came to the conclusion that swapping them is an expensive PITA, and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle (?). I don't have access to a lift and would have to do it on jack stands, which sounds horrible, and so that means would have to pay someone $$ to do it.

Ultimately I want a "little" lower ride height, a "little" stiffer spring/shock, and a "little" less body roll. I'm not going to track my wagon and just want a more stock M3-ish ride ...

As of now I'm thinking about swapping the springs, with Koni (not sure if Yellow sport or Special Active yet) and if I go the sway bar route likely the M135 bars.

Anyone have that setup and want to share?

Then again maybe I just buy an M2 and keep this as the grocery-getter ...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 10:04 PM   #209
LongRoofTDI
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328d Touring

Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 10:08 PM   #210
LongRoofTDI
No_Country
Rep

So does this mean that with an EDC tune and Eibach springs, a 328d could be the best at all things lol?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 03:02 AM   #211
locolok
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d e92

I have had different cars over the years, all of them with modified suspension, so I have experience with several cars and different suspensions on the same car.

On the 440i f32 I used m suspension, then m suspension with eibach sportline springs, then bc racing with standard spring and later, when installing the aircups I had to switch to a linear spring maintaining the same preload (6kg).

The car with the M suspension goes very well, it is comfortable and does not sway excessively, it has a good compromise between sportiness and comfort.

Then after putting the eibach springs on, the car didn't feel good, it felt bouncy, it was uncomfortable, but not hard, so I decided to change the suspension.

I had the option of mounting bilstein b14 or bc racing br, i had the bilstein in another car and it seemed to me a pretty bad suspension, very hard, it bounced a lot when falling from the bumps, it seemed that it did not dampen anything, but I considered this suspension because it maintains a longer extension run than bc racing.

I finally decided on bc racing, it has a compromise of hardness/comfort very similar to that of the M suspension, many people asked me when going up if the suspension had been changed when going so low and so comfortable.

When I mounted the aircups I had to change the progressive spring for a linear spring, it is a condition to be able to use the system, with this spring the suspension became drier, but even so it is still quite comfortable.

The only drawback of bc racing is that the top mounting plate does not have rubber, if not a monoball, it generates noise at low speed, bc racing's solution is coming, since as far as I know they are manufacturing a top mounting with rubber, similar to d2racing or ksport, you can mount that top mount on bc racing as well.

I use the car to travel
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 08:35 AM   #212
A340600driver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Morning guys ,

I have decided to get rid of my adaptive suspension on my F31 . I am going with bilstein B8’s paired with Eibach lowering springs . I want to do a full refresh of the suspension including all strut mounts . As I’m going to non adaptive what kind of front strut mounts do I order ? There are two types of mounts for the front , adaptive and non so not sure what type to order . Also is there anything else I need to order ? I believe the B8’s have internal bump ? Is this front and rear ? Dust covers ? Thanks in advance for info .
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 12:59 PM   #213
RobbE30
Rep

Thanks again for pointing me to the sway bar thread, but I've decided against replacing the sways.

I did pull the trigger on the Koni SA's and am also changing the lower control arm and upper thrust arm bushings to a stiffer polyurethane performance version. I think that'll get me where I want to be.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Eibach springs, but just couldn't do it. I remember swapping the springs in my E30 (H&R) way back when and was disappointed. I replaced those with stock E30 M3 springs and that's when I realized those German BMW engineers know a thing or two about vehicle dynamics. Ideally, I'd like to find some OEM M Performance springs but it seems those don't exist. I'd be happy with just a little drop and just a little more stiffness, and I think the Eibach would tip over to a little too much.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the changes and thanks again!

Last edited by RobbE30; 03-30-2023 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 01:36 PM   #214
Sam!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by A340600driver View Post
Morning guys ,

I have decided to get rid of my adaptive suspension on my F31 . I am going with bilstein B8’s paired with Eibach lowering springs . I want to do a full refresh of the suspension including all strut mounts . As I’m going to non adaptive what kind of front strut mounts do I order ? There are two types of mounts for the front , adaptive and non so not sure what type to order . Also is there anything else I need to order ? I believe the B8’s have internal bump ? Is this front and rear ? Dust covers ? Thanks in advance for info .
- If you're getting rid of adaptive, just get the non-adaptive. What's more important is knowing if you have the 3-bolt or 5-bolt top hat.
- You should be able to reuse existing dust boot (F/R) or get new along with the nuts/washers, etc. if you're going with new top hat anyways.
- Fronts do not need external bump stops for B6/B8, rears do. You can reuse, or buy shorter ones used in F80.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 08:20 AM   #215
A340600driver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the info Sam! After all the research I finally bit the bullet and stayed with the adaptive suspension . Ordered the rears from ecs and the front from fcp . Won’t buy another adaptive Bmw due to cost of the struts .
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 11:25 AM   #216
chambo622
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EBII

I have an F31 running the Eibach springs + Bilstein B8's. The car has about 43k miles, and the suspension was installed by a previous owner (but not the first owner) so I'm guessing the suspension is still in good shape.

I enjoy the look, handling, and ride quality, except on poor roads. With all the storms in California, many roads are littered with potholes and my suspension is bottoming out/slamming pretty aggressively if I hit a pothole with even a little bit of speed. I generally don't mind but I'm worried about damage to the car and passengers don't love it.

Is there anything about the Eibach + Bilstein B8 setup that I can adjust to stop bottoming out or am I stuck with this as-is?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #217
LongRoofTDI
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Information regarding F31 specific coilovers / suspension & what I know

Springs & Struts:

ACS springs $320.00 - Bad reverse rake (Previously owned these) For those who aren't aware, they are rebranded Eibach springs - Appear to have been discontinued

RS-R Ti2000 springs $339.00 - No information

H&R springs $248.75 - Too low for stock dampers, it causes a bouncy ride as your strut is effectively too soft to dampen the spring movement. A possibility with Bilstien B8 or B6.

Eibach springs $239.00 - U.S. Website doesn't even list F31, European website lists two springs options (0.8"/0.6") with two variations, one has higher load front springs. I listed the eBay link where I purchased my set Part# E10-20-031-14-22.

Koni special active/ Koni sport struts $686.24, $812.00 - Special active struts seem viable, sport struts good for drops exceeding 1"

Bilstein B4/B6/B8 struts $426.00, $706.02, $776.00 - Good option to use B6/B8 for lowering springs. B4 is an OEM replacement but is OK with ACS/Eibach

Affordable coilovers:

ST coilovers $892.49 - Same as KW V1 minus the coating

Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers $1044.00 - Have heard people who experienced coil binding/chaffing

BC racing coilovers $1050.00 - Not the best quality and poor customer service, is there even f31 x-drive coilovers from them? This is a possible option if you don't mind [...]
Does anyone have any information on the Dinan Springs? I only ask because I have an EDC car, and hear the Dinan Springs work with their EDC tuning software.
I hear it’s about 1” drop all around.

That being said, my F31 is a diesel, and after spending 30 minutes in the phone with Dinan, they only “officially” offer them for the F31 328ix (gas) cars, because diesel testing isn’t worth their time/$.

I figure if I want to keep my EDC, this would be the best avenue given the weight of the diesel car vs. gas is negligible; however, any and all insight would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 07:33 AM   #218
A340600driver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Good morning ,
Anyone installed b4 adaptive struts with lowering springs ? Eibach ? H and r ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 07:15 PM   #219
RobbE30
Rep

Dammit ... i pulled the trigger on the Eibach '14' springs after all. Still waiting for those to arrive from Poland of all places.

I have one question left regarding the Koni SA + Ebach '14' springs combo,

Do the '14' springs lower the car enough to warrant adjustable sway end links?

I researched the KC Designs, but they don't seem to be available anywhere anymore. Anyone got a similar version they'd recommend?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 06:10 PM   #220
A340600driver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Anyone running Eibach -15 and KoNi SA with pictures ? I’m only seeing the -14 ? Are the drops the same . The data seem that way , it’s for an f31
Appreciate 0