F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Mineral Gray - favourite wax?
proTUNING Freaks

03-04-2023, 07:25 PM   #1
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 440i Odin Tuned DAW turbo

Mineral Gray - favourite wax?

I'm happy with my combo of chemical guys butter wet wax with griot's garage best of show spray in between waxes. Neither is super durable but they are both super glossy.

Both are nearly out and I like trying new things.

What is your go-to wax/ protection for mineral gray?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13398.00
      03-08-2023, 07:36 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I used to use Collinite 476S double coat for a show shine. It wasn’t too durable.

Then I switched to Finish Kare 1000P high-temp. Worked really when I lived in AZ.

My full mineral gray routine was:

1. Snow foam
2. Rinse
3. Two bucket method and then rinse
4. Blow dry
5. Clay bar / correct if needed e.g. CG VSS
6. Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite
7. Poor Boy’s Black Hole Show Glaze or CG Black Light. Looking back I think I preferred black light
8. CG M-Seal. Sometimes Bilt-Hamber Autobalm
9. Wax of choice e.g. Collinite / Finish Kare
10. Meguiar’s Ultimate Finish detailer for a spruce if required before the next wash.

Lost all my photos in a corrupt iTunes back up. Else I would post the results here.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 07:38 AM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 _gran_coupe_ View Post
I'm happy with my combo of chemical guys butter wet wax with griot's garage best of show spray in between waxes. Neither is super durable but they are both super glossy.

Both are nearly out and I like trying new things.

What is your go-to wax/ protection for mineral gray?
Looks superb.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 05:14 PM   #4
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
I used to use Collinite 476S double coat for a show shine. It wasn’t too durable.

Then I switched to Finish Kare 1000P high-temp. Worked really when I lived in AZ.

My full mineral gray routine was:

1. Snow foam
2. Rinse
3. Two bucket method and then rinse
4. Blow dry
5. Clay bar / correct if needed e.g. CG VSS
6. Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite
7. Poor Boy’s Black Hole Show Glaze or CG Black Light. Looking back I think I preferred black light
8. CG M-Seal. Sometimes Bilt-Hamber Autobalm
9. Wax of choice e.g. Collinite / Finish Kare
10. Meguiar’s Ultimate Finish detailer for a spruce if required before the next wash.

Lost all my photos in a corrupt iTunes back up. Else I would post the results here.
Damn that must be a 2 day process? Very thorough indeed!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 01:47 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn that must be a 2 day process? Very thorough indeed!
When it was badly contaminated and required iron out. It took a little longer. Clay and polish could take a day when a lot of correction was required. So anything from 4 hours with no breaks to 6 hours or 12 hours. That didn’t even include the interior sometimes. Two days easily with interior and 3 stage correction to exterior. It was worth it though. Sense of pride. Labor of love. That kind of thing. A showroom shine. Staying on top of things meant less need for correction. I tried to keep the 3 stage to once a year if required.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 04:38 AM   #6
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When it was badly contaminated and required iron out. It took a little longer. Clay and polish could take a day when a lot of correction was required. So anything from 4 hours with no breaks to 6 hours or 12 hours. That didn’t even include the interior sometimes. Two days easily with interior and 3 stage correction to exterior. It was worth it though. Sense of pride. Labor of love. That kind of thing. A showroom shine. Staying on top of things meant less need for correction. I tried to keep the 3 stage to once a year if required.
That's great stuff! I used to detail as a second job on weekends and go into that amount of depth but boy it takes a toll on your body especially when it's hot out.

I'm building up to doing my f36 from the ground up. Have a few annoying nicks and stone chips that I need to touch up and wet sand too. I'm probably going to end up ceramic coating after I correct
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13398.00
      03-09-2023, 05:42 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's great stuff! I used to detail as a second job on weekends and go into that amount of depth but boy it takes a toll on your body especially when it's hot out.

I'm building up to doing my f36 from the ground up. Have a few annoying nicks and stone chips that I need to touch up and wet sand too. I'm probably going to end up ceramic coating after I correct
I’ve done the ceramic coat thing. It can work for some. What annoyed me most was after some rock chips I needed to apply it to the whole panel to make it look good. Then there was a time when the coating was end of life and I had to wet sand as it was patchy. So after going through different brands of ceramic.. I have gone back to wax. Find it more satisfying personally anyway when applying it. Wax on wax off haha
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:39 AM   #8
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ve done the ceramic coat thing. It can work for some. What annoyed me most was after some rock chips I needed to apply it to the whole panel to make it look good. Then there was a time when the coating was end of life and I had to wet sand as it was patchy. So after going through different brands of ceramic.. I have gone back to wax. Find it more satisfying personally anyway when applying it. Wax on wax off haha
That's very interesting actually. You only tend to hear the good.

I find hand waxing therapeutic too and like to experiment. Even the no pad fancy carnuba waxes
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13398.00
      05-22-2023, 07:19 AM   #9
Cytoplasm0671
Armchair Aristocrat
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT

Exactly my thoughts. Ceramic is all cool for now but what happens in a few years where everybody's ceramic coat is full of chips and spots?

My solution is two coats of the best sealant, Jescar Ultra Lock, every 4 months and call it good. Garden hose off the dust whenever needed.

It's a Pareto Principle. 80% of the results for 20% of the effort.

Last edited by Cytoplasm0671; 05-23-2023 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 09:04 AM   #10
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

i hate when people put ceramic on a car that needs like a 3 stage paint correction. thats my reason for not going ceramic until i have a chance to do a full paint correction.
Appreciate 1