BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Advice on 2021 m50i purchase

02-12-2024, 04:12 PM   #1
tamkhan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 ZCP (Sold)

Advice on 2021 m50i purchase

Been looking for an m50i for a while and found one with 32k miles. Selling price is $62k. All packages minus DHP.

How does this sound? It's a private sale. Car is a CPO and warranty will transfer.

Every time I look at used m50i, I always think of what they will be worth in 2 years when I probably want to change it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:33 PM   #2
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Even with CPO transfer, I would make sure to get a good PPI at an independent mechanic when dealing with private party. You never know if it had any damage or been in accident that was not disclosed in Carfax.

Prices have come down, I paid $71k in June for a CPO 2020 with 28k miles. However it had all the options like DHP, B&W, ambient air, etc.

It will 100% continue to depreciate like any luxury barge with expensive maintenance costs. It’s probably safe to assume a 10-15k depreciation per year at this point. You don’t buy this type of vehicle for low cost of ownership. Plenty of vehicles are cheaper to own so if you don’t value driving experience and luxury, don’t do it.

Speaking of driving experience, DHP is pretty much a must if you plan to drive this one enthousiastically and value driving dynamics, which is one of the reasons to get an X7 M50i to begin with.
Appreciate 1
tamkhan46.00
      02-12-2024, 06:14 PM   #3
omnid00d
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

As a comparison point, I got my CPO '21 M50i at 37k miles loaded for 67k. Given that this doesn't have DHP and the MY'24s are out, 62k seems expensive to me. Private party is supposed to be cheaper so high 50s passes the gut check IMO. If the condition is immaculate, that might be of more value to you.

Depreciation is going to suck. In the last 2-3yrs, M50i models have lost 40-50% compared to MSRP which is breathtaking. Great for us CPO buyers but I personally know I'm going to take a beating on this one and I don't care cuz the car is too awesome. If losing 20k in 2yrs is a concern for you, you may want to rethink getting an M50i.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2024, 06:59 PM   #4
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

DHP is amazing and should be the one and only option to chase after! I did 300 miles in the last 3 days and still cant wipe the grin off my face, DHP makes driving these things such a special experience.

I also completely agree with everything above, especially the price. KBB says 57-64 for private party so 62k is just okay. You can get one with DHP with similar mileage and all the other options for 62k with very little effort and some patience.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 07:49 PM   #5
Exslave
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera, X7 M50i

I concur with the sentiments of the others. I shopped for a good 3 months before I was able to find the right one. You have to wrap your mind around the fact that this is not an investment, not in the traditional sense. This is akin to the spoils of war, that reward you get for all your hard work. Decide if that depreciation has the same value as the pleasure you'll receive from ownership. That's the only way to square the purchase. Good luck in your search.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 07:49 PM   #6
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnid00d View Post
As a comparison point, I got my CPO '21 M50i at 37k miles loaded for 67k. Given that this doesn't have DHP and the MY'24s are out, 62k seems expensive to me. Private party is supposed to be cheaper so high 50s passes the gut check IMO. If the condition is immaculate, that might be of more value to you.

Depreciation is going to suck. In the last 2-3yrs, M50i models have lost 40-50% compared to MSRP which is breathtaking. Great for us CPO buyers but I personally know I'm going to take a beating on this one and I don't care cuz the car is too awesome. If losing 20k in 2yrs is a concern for you, you may want to rethink getting an M50i.
I threw depreciation out the window when I decided I would keep my 40i for as long as possible. Don't plan on trading it for anything.. Plan is the key word. I wanna see if the B58 is truly the best I6 ever made. Plus I refuse to own an electric vehicle in my lifetime.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 07:51 PM   #7
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exslave View Post
I concur with the sentiments of the others. I shopped for a good 3 months before I was able to find the right one. You have to wrap your mind around the fact that this is not an investment, not in the traditional sense. This is akin to the spoils of war, that reward you get for all your hard work. Decide if that depreciation has the same value as the pleasure you'll receive from ownership. That's the only way to square the purchase. Good luck in your search.
Your right on the money with this ...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:11 AM   #8
tamkhan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 ZCP (Sold)

So, I've found a '21 m50i with the following options

dhp
cold weather
luxury
b&w
drive assist
executive
tow hitch (VERY important for me)

14k miles

Price is $71K

CPO with the bmw dealer. I got my last bmw from these folks and all cpo cars they sell are pretty much in pristine condition.

Considering it has almost all options, I think the price is good. Is there any negotiation I should do?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:02 PM   #9
omnid00d
Private
United_States
Rep

I think that looks good because it's loaded and low miles. I would check when the OEM warranty runs out so you know the full span of OEM+CPO coverage. Get the build sheet from them as well.

There's always room for negotiation, even 1k off is still 1k
Appreciate 1
tamkhan46.00
      02-21-2024, 01:15 PM   #10
Exslave
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera, X7 M50i

I think the spec's look good and the price isn't out of range. I'd make an offer and see if they are willing to negotiate. Keep in mind the spec's on these X7's are becoming more rare so be judicious, be decisive, be direct and don't be long.... While also being patient and contemplative... So do the impossible. LOL... Good luck. Make sure it's the right car even if you overpay a little the right car will still make you smile.
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2024, 03:47 PM   #11
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep

Anything used with B&W and a tow hitch (on the same x7) will be hard to find so like the other guy said, be decisive. If it checks all your boxes dont hold too long.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 04:09 PM   #12
omnid00d
Private
United_States
Rep

I recommend you seriously consider NOW if you're willing to buy it at 71k and be done with it. If you found that config with a bench on CPO + tow hitch, I'll say those are RARE so there is value in getting to the enjoying your ride part now. Or if it's worth $1,2 or 3k+ to drag it out any further or risk losing the deal to someone else.
Appreciate 1
tamkhan46.00
      02-21-2024, 08:25 PM   #13
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamkhan View Post
So, I've found a '21 m50i with the following options

dhp
cold weather
luxury
b&w
drive assist
executive
tow hitch (VERY important for me)

14k miles

Price is $71K

CPO with the bmw dealer. I got my last bmw from these folks and all cpo cars they sell are pretty much in pristine condition.

Considering it has almost all options, I think the price is good. Is there any negotiation I should do?
I fifth and sixth the buy it now! 14K miles is basically new and she's got it all.
Appreciate 1
tamkhan46.00