BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Still want an EV?

03-12-2024, 08:48 AM   #7151
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Appreciate 3
      03-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #7152
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogitechFans View Post
As much as I wanted to embrace the electric vehicle revolution, my personal experience left me feeling disappointed.
I don't think the basic technology is without merit but it has been pushed too hard before it has had time to develop. Some of us are old enough to remember the hand held calculator, when I was in college the rich kids could buy a Ti calculator for $400.00 that today that same feature list plus more can be had for $12.00. Point is that EV's are more a technology purchase than a pure transportation solution. Technology will move forward and early adopters will pay the price. If I put my Ray Kurzweil hat on, I would think we will see EV's with environmentally more friendly batteries, quicker charging and longer ranges without as much battery degradation and a reliable recycling option in the next ten years. Maybe the bigger question is how much damage to the EV concept will be done by the forced acceptance?
Appreciate 4
M5Rick61783.00
kyriian890.50
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 11:16 AM   #7153
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I don't think the basic technology is without merit but it has been pushed too hard before it has had time to develop. Some of us are old enough to remember the hand held calculator, when I was in college the rich kids could buy a Ti calculator for $400.00 that today that same feature list plus more can be had for $12.00. Point is that EV's are more a technology purchase than a pure transportation solution. Technology will move forward and early adopters will pay the price. If I put my Ray Kurzweil hat on, I would think we will see EV's with environmentally more friendly batteries, quicker charging and longer ranges without as much battery degradation and a reliable recycling option in the next ten years. Maybe the bigger question is how much damage to the EV concept will be done by the forced acceptance?
They have found environmentally friendly batteries, problem, horrible energy density. Remember, governments have been spending money hard on battery tech since WW1 for submarine use. It is not like we just started looking. Vis-a vis recycling, look at aluminum, the only companies that will willingly use it are beverage. Everyone else wants virgin aluminum because of the defects issue. It is hard to believe the EV industry will be different when defects = battery fires.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick61783.00
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 11:18 AM   #7154
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Who is going to decon the hazmat covering everything in this parking garage? Wait until the car owner finds out what it costs to have the fire department babysit your car for 7 hours! Yikes! Hope he has damn good insurance!

It is a growing danger that is being faced with more frequency by fire departments across New Jersey: Electric Vehicle fires.

The latest was in Hackensack when fire crews were called to an apartment complex on Main Street at 1:30 a.m. last Friday.

They could see smoke coming out from a lower-level parking lot. A search revealed an Audi Q5 electric powered SUV was burning.

Fire fighters were able to quickly knock down the flames but had to remain on the scene for seven-hours to make sure the car's battery did not reignite.

https://nj1015.com/dangerous-ev-fire...in-new-jersey/
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-12-2024, 11:38 AM   #7155
Pauly Wauly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 560X

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
[url]http
A couple of days ago, someone posted on rennlist that he had been trying to sell a brand new 2023 Taycan Turbo S with zero miles that is still at the dealer and was never put on the road and he is having a really hard time selling it. He's already @90k off MSRP, and he said not a single bite.
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 4
M5Rick61783.00
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 11:46 AM   #7156
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
This is a new one:
Stalled electric car sparked crash that sent truck dangling off bridge
March 7, 2024
A stalled electric car caused the chain reaction crash that ended in the dramatic rescue of a trucker hanging off of a bridge on Friday.
The Friday, March 1st accident happened on the Clark Memorial Bridge in Louisville, Kentucky.
According to WHAS 11, motorist Glenna Hess had just purchased an electric car the day before and was driving along the bridge when it suddenly stopped.
“I’ve driven electric cars for 10 years. I was noticing there was fluctuation in the electrical system. The power would be at 90% then to 80. As I was coming back from Jeffersonville, it said I had a 24-mile range, which was fine,” Hess said. “I just wanted to get across the bridge and call AAA. I was going to take it back to Carvana.”

But the “the motor just came to a dead stop on the 2nd Street Bridge,” she said. “I had blinkers on, called AAA, who alerted police. Everyone was fine.
Hess was told by Carvana that they will not allow her to return the vehicle because it has been damaged.

Appreciate 2
M5Rick61783.00
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 01:04 PM   #7157
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
This is a new one:
March 7, 2024
A stalled electric car caused the chain reaction crash that ended in the dramatic rescue of a trucker hanging off of a bridge on Friday.
The Friday, March 1st accident happened on the Clark Memorial Bridge in Louisville, Kentucky.
According to WHAS 11, motorist Glenna Hess had just purchased an electric car the day before and was driving along the bridge when it suddenly stopped.
“I’ve driven electric cars for 10 years. I was noticing there was fluctuation in the electrical system. The power would be at 90% then to 80. As I was coming back from Jeffersonville, it said I had a 24-mile range, which was fine,” Hess said. “I just wanted to get across the bridge and call AAA. I was going to take it back to Carvana.”

But the “the motor just came to a dead stop on the 2nd Street Bridge,” she said. “I had blinkers on, called AAA, who alerted police. Everyone was fine.
Hess was told by Carvana that they will not allow her to return the vehicle because it has been damaged.

Come on. ICE cars can stop without warning too. You guys are really digging hard and deep now.
      03-12-2024, 01:22 PM   #7158
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Wauly View Post
A couple of days ago, someone posted on rennlist that he had been trying to sell a brand new 2023 Taycan Turbo S with zero miles that is still at the dealer and was never put on the road and he is having a really hard time selling it. He's already @90k off MSRP, and he said not a single bite.
If it was a 911 with 90k off..
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 01:57 PM   #7159
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Firefighter posted this.

EV Battery fires are a unique danger. First off, its an electrical (class charley) fire, so the car is considered deranged equipment as you don't know if parts of the car would now carry an electrical charge (electrocution risk) and it's also a class alpha fire) as the solids from the car body, interior, etc.. start to combust. Lastly, it’s also a class delta (burning metal) fire for which water is NOT a good extinguishing agent. Combine those factors and consider the risk if owning/charging an EV indoors is a good idea.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 02:32 PM   #7160
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
This is a new one:
March 7, 2024

Serious pucker factor on the truck driver's part.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61783.00
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 02:49 PM   #7161
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Come on. ICE cars can stop without warning too. You guys are really digging hard and deep now.
I made no comments relating to this being a EV issue. But I did high light that Carvana was not taking any responsibility.
I'm sure that more than a few ICE cars have conked out on bridges. So if I take your lead here the moral of the story is EV's can be just as unreliable as ICE cars.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 02:53 PM   #7162
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Firefighter posted this.
EV Battery fires are a unique danger. First off, its an electrical (class charley) fire, so the car is considered deranged equipment as you don't know if parts of the car would now carry an electrical charge (electrocution risk) and it's also a class alpha fire) as the solids from the car body, interior, etc.. start to combust. Lastly, it’s also a class delta (burning metal) fire for which water is NOT a good extinguishing agent. Combine those factors and consider the risk if owning/charging an EV indoors is a good idea.
This Firefighter neglected to mention the extremely toxic out gassing.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 02:55 PM   #7163
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I made no comments relating to this being a EV issue. But I did high light that Carvana was not taking any responsibility.
I'm sure that more than a few ICE cars have conked out on bridges. So if I take your lead here the moral of the story is EV's can be just as unreliable as ICE cars.
Yeah Carvana sucks for sure and I'm not really surprised by their actions.
      03-12-2024, 02:56 PM   #7164
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This Firefighter neglected to mention the extremely toxic out gassing.
That is the metal burning part.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 03:04 PM   #7165
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Firefighter posted this.

I have a couple firefighter friends plus a family member that owns an insurance brokerage firm. EV fires are definitely a relatively new consideration when it comes to handling a fire indoors and outdoors and property insurance costs. Fire trucks and procedures are constantly being upgraded to handle EV fires and at big costs to taxpayers. Insurance premiums will continue to rise as well due to EV fire property loss.

The biggest issues with EV fires are:

1) Duration
2) Intensity
3) Pricey and extensive firefighting control measures (foam, huge amounts of water, fire blankets, SCUBA, etc.)
4) Toxic fumes and heavily contaminated firefighting water that washes onto nearby ground, storm drains, waterways, etc.
5) EV occupant safety do to many EVs using electric door locking mechanisms. There have been many instances of them not releasing in a crash/fire.
      03-12-2024, 03:41 PM   #7166
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Burning Lithium reaches temperatures of 2,000 degrees Celsius/3,632 degrees Fahrenheit.
LiPo fires are self oxidizing.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61783.00
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-12-2024, 04:35 PM   #7167
Pauly Wauly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 560X

Quote:
If it was a 911 with 90k off..
If it was a 911, it would sell for 90k above MSRP
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61783.00
      03-13-2024, 04:14 AM   #7168
M5Rick
General
Rep

What's going to happen to all the unsold EV's piling up that people don't want.
Appreciate 1
Andrew2180.00
      03-13-2024, 05:25 AM   #7169
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So MacMaster wants to roll 20-thousand of negative equity in his Tycan loan into his 911 loan. Wow. Okay, it's tough to listen to a person with such poor financial acumen. I hope it is all just a joke to sell yoootoobe time.

And he's all over the internet tell us how much EV and his Tycan sucks. Something about cake...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-13-2024 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:27 AM   #7170
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So MacMaster wants to roll 20-thousand of negative equity in his Tycan loan into his 911 loan. Wow. Okay, it's tough to listen to a person with such poor financial acumen. I hope it is all just a joke to sell yoootoobe time.
Or a reflection of just how badly he wants out of owning an EV.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-13-2024, 05:36 AM   #7171
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1589.50
      03-13-2024, 05:46 AM   #7172
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, why did he buy it in the first place? I've been looking at EV since 2013, and for the past 11 years, every view I've taken of ownership concluded owning an EV makes no sense. However, I will admit I kinda like the Cybertruck (because it's so crazy off the wall), but that's waning for me now.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1589.50