Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions I can't find used well-optioned M340i

05-05-2024, 11:43 PM   #23
dontuseblinkers
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by salenad View Post
I'm in sales and have a Mineral Grey CPO 2021 M340i xDrive for sale
$58.9k
9k miles

all match your list minus color, Adaptive M Suspension and Cognac interior (this has black vernasca leather with blue stitching)

Personally I heard mixed reviews on the Adaptive M Suspension and if it's needed, I don't have it in mine and honestly the suspension is no complaints from me

Driving Assistant Pro
Harmon Kardon
Parking Assistant Package
Head Up

https://www.bmwmonterey.com/certifie...1c549fd5e1.htm
I just received my m340i. I test drove ones without adaptive suspension and I have it say that it is the most important option. Spending $60k on a car and not having a $400 option that makes your ride quality noticeably better is bonkers.

I was in the same situation seeing these crazy used car prices. I ended up buying new and got 10% off msrp. Fully loaded every single option m340i for 60k. Msrp was 68k.

Just buy new. The wait is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 10:15 AM   #24
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by salenad View Post
I'm in sales

Personally I heard mixed reviews on the Adaptive M Suspension and if it's needed, I don't have it in mine and honestly the suspension is no complaints from me
Sounds about right
Appreciate 4
      05-06-2024, 03:09 PM   #25
dontuseblinkers
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
Sounds about right
the only people saying adaptive suspension isn't worth it is sales people.

I was at 2 dealerships and both the guys tried to feed me the same line that adaptive suspension isn't worth it. They have never heard that BMW is a rough ride. They had adaptive suspension and then took it off their cars.

You ask any of the people who bought a car and they also mention that it is the most important feature in the car in terms of ride quality.
Appreciate 6
      05-06-2024, 06:42 PM   #26
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontuseblinkers View Post
the only people saying adaptive suspension isn't worth it is sales people.

I was at 2 dealerships and both the guys tried to feed me the same line that adaptive suspension isn't worth it. They have never heard that BMW is a rough ride. They had adaptive suspension and then took it off their cars.

You ask any of the people who bought a car and they also mention that it is the most important feature in the car in terms of ride quality.
Oh, yes. And they will also tell you that heated seats aren’t needed in a convertible or they are easy to add later. LOL.
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 07:24 AM   #27
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
This one is right here on Bimmerpost and it is as well optioned as they come.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2076820
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-07-2024, 03:04 PM   #28
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This one is right here on Bimmerpost and it is as well optioned as they come.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2076820
This one has no adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 05:26 PM   #29
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
This one has no adaptive suspension.
Unless my memory fails me adaptive suspension is part of the ZTK.

edit: I guess my memory fails me. Well, at least it leads me to the F30 Track Handling pkg. I see the M Sport suspension listed on the window sticker. Funny though, Bimmer.work doesn’t show the 704 suspension, but Mdecoder does.

OP, personally I think with a rwd M340i you’d be okay without adaptive suspension, but I have to admit I’m speculating. Unfortunately, I’ve never had the opportunity to drive a rwd M340i.

Last edited by tturedraider; 05-07-2024 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 03:06 AM   #30
komoornik
Private
Rep
Drives: M440i G23

What does the RWD or xDrive have to do with the suspension that's either quite nice or unbearable? 🤔
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:29 AM   #31
koopa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by komoornik View Post
What does the RWD or xDrive have to do with the suspension that's either quite nice or unbearable? 🤔
I think on the older cars there was a noticeable difference in suspension between RWD and xDrive cars. I don't think that's really the case in the G series cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:37 AM   #32
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
1. XDrive adds 125 pounds of weight.

2. XDrive adds $2,000 in cost.

That’s carrying one extra adult passenger with you at all times and a couple of grand in potential performance upgrades. There is definitely a point to RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 11:11 AM   #33
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
XDrive adds 125 pounds of weight
He was asking what did the car being RWD or xDrive have to do with the suspension. In my negligible experience, heavier cars have always driven more comfortably. So xDrive adding more weight should actually be beneficial to comfort, not vice versa.

I'd say that RWD makes sense if you want to toss the car around often or/and live in a place where the roads are perfect and track-like, and where you have not even the slightest hint of winter, and preferably rain too, throughout the year. In all other scenarios, it's most definitely worth every penny. But I still fail to see how it has anything to do with the suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 11:14 AM   #34
Sam Tango
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (2023)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopsidedLand View Post
I've been searching for almost 3 months, regularly checking BMW's site, Carmax, and Car Gurus for a fully loaded M340i, which is starting to seem impossible to find

-Used, $60k or less
-Active Driving Assistant Pro and parking assist package
-Adaptive M Suspension
-Heads up display and Harmon Kardon stereo
-Cognac interior
-Tanzanite blue or black exterior, but at this point I might take whatever and just get it wrapped

The biggest issues seem to be that both the Adaptive M Suspension and Driving Assistant Pro are individually hard to find, and almost impossible to find combined. (maybe they were cut out from a lot of models due to COVID shortages - ?).

Then add in my desired colors and I literally have not seen a single car for sale anywhere in the USA that is what I'm looking for.

At this point, it seems like I could either
A) Go to up to a 5 series like a M550i instead because those seem to usually be better-optioned than 3 series
B) Build a new M340i, which would run almost $70,000 for my desired build and approach M3 territory
C) Buy another beater and keep waiting for the perfect M340i to pop up
D) Give up on BMW and go with an S5 or Genesis G70 or something

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation, and if you waited or just ended up settling for something close enough.
D.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 11:25 AM   #35
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

This is for sure a troll post
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:11 PM   #36
cbrownmdr1492
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

PM me if interested
I am toying with the idea of selling mine, based in SoCal

Its a 2020 M340 with 40k, I bought it when my lease was up last year

I did not go too heavy on the options when I ordered it thou...

Tanzanite w/ Mocha
Parking assistance package
19" 792M wheels
Adaptive Suspension
Heated Seats
Ambient lighting
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 06:10 PM   #37
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Unless my memory fails me adaptive suspension is part of the ZTK.

edit: I guess my memory fails me
Well, at least it leads me to the F30 Track Handling pkg. I see the M Sport suspension listed on the window sticker. Funny though, Bimmer.work doesn’t show the 704 suspension, but Mdecoder does.

OP, personally I think with a rwd M340i you’d be okay without adaptive suspension, but I have to admit I’m speculating. Unfortunately, I’ve never had the opportunity to drive a rwd M340i.
I believe that's only true for 2024MY and later. First year of LCI it was optional as was the case for pre-LCI.

My early build RWD M340 which I have had almost 5 years now doesn't have adaptive suspension but I am ok with that. Others say it's harsh so to each his own.

Last edited by EXE46; 05-08-2024 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:44 PM   #38
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i & X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I believe that's only true for 2024MY and later. First year of LCI it was optional as was the case for pre-LCI.

My early build RWD M340 which I have had almost 5 years now doesn't have adaptive suspension but I am ok with that. Others say it's harsh so to each his own.
OP is still MIA …

However see the window sticker of my 2024 car. No ZTK but with adaptive suspension.
Attached Images

05-09-2024, 01:53 PM   #39
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What does the RWD or xDrive have to do with the suspension that's either quite nice or unbearable? ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
I think on the older cars there was a noticeable difference in suspension between RWD and xDrive cars. I don't think that's really the case in the G series cars.
Prior to the G20 the sport suspension was not available on 3ers with xDrive. xDrive meant you got a suspension that was softer and raised by 10mm compared to the standard suspension and raised 20mm compared to the sport suspension, which was 10mm lower than the standard suspension.

I’ve owned four rwd 3ers with the static sport suspension and never felt like it was too firm or harsh. I bought a 2020 M340i xDrive with the static sport suspension not expecting anything to be different. I was wrong. The moment I started driving down the street leaving the house of the guy I bought the car from I immediately thought the suspension was too harsh. Because, I never thought about the sport suspension being any different than all my other 3ers I actually didn’t drive the car until after we completed the deal. I’ve never done that before, but it just didn’t seem necessary. I certainly won’t ever do it again.

This is my theory, but I can’t say I know it for a fact. I think xDrive (probably affected by the extra 125 lbs) makes the static sport suspension harsher than it would be with rwd. I can’t say that for a fact, because I’ve never had the opportunity to drive a rwd M340i with the static sport suspension. Before I bought my xDrive M340i I had driven a lot of xDrive M340i’s at BMW driving events, but they all had the adaptive suspension.

05-10-2024, 07:15 AM   #40
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_seather View Post
He was asking what did the car being RWD or xDrive have to do with the suspension. In my negligible experience, heavier cars have always driven more comfortably. So xDrive adding more weight should actually be beneficial to comfort, not vice versa.

I'd say that RWD makes sense if you want to toss the car around often or/and live in a place where the roads are perfect and track-like, and where you have not even the slightest hint of winter, and preferably rain too, throughout the year. In all other scenarios, it's most definitely worth every penny. But I still fail to see how it has anything to do with the suspension setup.
Weight impacts handling. Many (most) here want to toss the car around.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:02 PM   #41
aidanmurphy
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i RWD

Quote:
Prior to the G20 the sport suspension was not available on 3ers with xDrive. xDrive meant you got a suspension that was softer and raised by 10mm compared to the standard suspension and raised 20mm compared to the sport suspension, which was 10mm lower than the standard suspension.

I’ve owned four rwd 3ers with the static sport suspension and never felt like it was too firm or harsh. I bought a 2020 M340i xDrive with the static sport suspension not expecting anything to be different. I was wrong. The moment I started driving down the street leaving the house of the guy I bought the car from I immediately thought the suspension was too harsh. Because, I never thought about the sport suspension being any different than all my other 3ers I actually didn’t drive the car until after we completed the deal. I’ve never done that before, but it just didn’t seem necessary. I certainly won’t ever do it again.

This is my theory, but I can’t say I know it for a fact. I think xDrive (probably affected by the extra 125 lbs) makes the static sport suspension harsher than it would be with rwd. I can’t say that for a fact, because I’ve never had the opportunity to drive a rwd M340i with the static sport suspension. Before I bought my xDrive M340i I had driven a lot of xDrive M340i’s at BMW driving events, but they all had the adaptive suspension.
I have a RWD 2020 M340 with the static sport suspension. It is definitely stiff but I would not say too stiff. I purposely looked to avoid the adaptive suspension as I did not want to deal with issues later down the line and I may want to swap springs at some point.

That being said, I live in North GA where the roads are pretty good and I am also 25 so I am more tolerant to a rough ride. You definitely feel the entire road and potholes are enough to make you think you've just broken a tie rod or something.

While it is very stiff it is exactly what I want from a sports sedan and I do not think it is too stiff for daily driving UNLESS your roads are terrible. When I have to go downtown for work in ATL it is pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 03:36 PM   #42
koopa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
To me, stiffness isn't the reason the M-Sport Suspension isn't comfortable. It's because it is extremely busy AND stiff. It's always unsettled and doesn't really dampen anything. Every bump, crack, and imperfection is sent through the cabin making the car constantly jostle side-to-side and back and forth.

Adaptive suspension is still on the stiffer side, but it actually dampens everything well which makes the ride more comfortable and compliant.
Appreciate 1
M340I///M176.00
      05-10-2024, 04:57 PM   #43
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
To me, stiffness isn't the reason the M-Sport Suspension isn't comfortable. It's because it is extremely busy AND stiff. It's always unsettled and doesn't really dampen anything. Every bump, crack, and imperfection is sent through the cabin making the car constantly jostle side-to-side and back and forth.

Adaptive suspension is still on the stiffer side, but it actually dampens everything well which makes the ride more comfortable and compliant.
Great description.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 11:03 AM   #44
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanmurphy View Post
I purposely looked to avoid the adaptive suspension as I did not want to deal with issues later down the line and I may want to swap springs at some point.
Dinan springs work well with adaptive suspension. Unless you're replacing the shock, the adaptive suspension stiffens or cushions your ride constantly in 'ms' throughout your drive. Adaptive suspension should be on the list as something that contributes to the ride/driving experience (aka Ultimate --Driving-- Machine )
Appreciate 1
M340I///M176.00