F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Should I buy 2017 330i at 18
GetBMWParts

05-12-2024, 06:20 AM   #1
sj30905@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

Should I buy 2017 330i at 18

Hi there guys,

I have been intensely researching the f30 Lci 330i. I need to buy a car around the end of this year as my sister is getting my car when shes off her L’s and I want to buy myself a nice second car. I make around 70k a year and I also drive a lot because I have tafe 3 days a week and work 6 days a week so I wanted to get myself something nice to drive. Im looking at a price range of 23k to 28k hopefully with under 100,000km for less risk.

From my research the b48 engine and zf transmission in the 330 are fairly reliable and dont have many other failure points if you maintain them which is something I can afford to do as I still live with my parents and save most of my money that I dont pay in rent.

Are there any causes of concerns for this generation? Should I spend a bit extra and aim for a 340??? I cant decide. I love this car to bits but I am not sure if im going to get myself into a massive money pit.

Please give me some advice on if i should get this car or not.

Last edited by sj30905@gmail.com; 05-12-2024 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: Bad sentences
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 06:27 AM   #2
sj30905@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

I have also been considering the a4 quattro b9 generation.

The c250 or c300 w205 generation.

And I have considered the alfa romeo giulia but I am deathly afraid of this cars reliability it just looks stunning
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 07:14 AM   #3
donR
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i, i4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj30905@gmail.com View Post
Hi there guys,

I have been intensely researching the f30 Lci 330i. I need to buy a car around the end of this year as my sister is getting my car when shes off her L’s and I want to buy myself a nice second car. I make around 70k a year and I also drive a lot because I have tafe 3 days a week and work 6 days a week so I wanted to get myself something nice to drive. Im looking at a price range of 23k to 28k hopefully with under 100,000km for less risk.

From my research the b48 engine and zf transmission in the 330 are fairly reliable and dont have many other failure points if you maintain them which is something I can afford to do as I still live with my parents and save most of my money that I dont pay in rent.

Are there any causes of concerns for this generation? Should I spend a bit extra and aim for a 340??? I cant decide. I love this car to bits but I am not sure if im going to get myself into a massive money pit.

Please give me some advice on if i should get this car or not.
I think with that sort of budget you will be looking at higher mileage or older cars that should have had all the major maintenance items completed such as the various cooling pipes, pump, radiator, oil filter housing, etc. These coolant related issues/leaks can be very costly if they have not been done, many thousands. Given BMWs are turbo cars which run hot there will always be heat related maintenance issues with all their plastic parts so I'd check what has been done when you look at a car. Worth getting permission to talk to the service centre that has looked after the car to get a run down. Otherwise I don't believe there are any other major issues with these cars.

B9 is also very nice but still will have turbo related/heat problems. Maybe avoid DSG as they can be costly in higher mileage cars.

Otherwise the F30/31 drive really nice and still feel very modern inside. I actually think they drive better than the G series. 330i also has plenty of power and torque for around the city. I used to own a 335i and I never missed not having the turbo six cylinder so not sure if it is worth spending the extra on the 340i if you can get a better quality/condition 330i.

If you can stretch your budget I have a very low mileage F31 (see above post) which has had all the mainteance issues completed so will be very reliable as the money has already been spent. I have been offered $32k so looking for more.

Otherwise, I'd be considering an NA car like a lexus which is also a very nice/similar sedan and more reliable! Although a little boring in comparison and probably slower?

Note also the 330i LCI cars start at 2016. I would consider them given they are more likely to have had all the maintenance issues complated due to being slightly older.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 12:15 AM   #4
Mahpd
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 328i

Hi OP. I had a 2013 F31 328i for five years, just sold earlier this year at 120K km. I know it's not exactly what you're asking about but my two cents:
Pros:
-mine was super reliable, never had a single mechanical issue. Just a door lock actuator on the driver's side went out right at the beginning. Replaced it with one from a wrecker, never had a problem again
-solid car that had more than enough power (but depends on your needs and wants. grass is always greener on the other side and hence you'll eventually want a 340i. Nothing wrong with mine but I wanted a change so sold it)

Cons
-as much as I loved the wagon styling and practicality, I believe resale is worse than sedans. I sold it to a dealer so take that into consideration but in just 5 years I lost 12K in sale price. It's been sold from the dealership now but they were advertising it for 10K less than what I bought it for (and I maintained that thing meticulously). I had tried to sell on facebook for a number of weeks (albeit in modified form) but it only had one genuine enquiry, rest were bots and lowballers. I followed heaps of F31s on carsales for months in advance and they took ages to sell with multiple price drops. People just prefer SUVs these days
-lots of body roll through roundabouts and corners if you're sensitive to these things
-everything costs more (compared to a luxury Japanese car) - fuel, insurance, servicing

If you're keeping this thing for the next 10 years then go for it but if looking to move it on in a few years you will lose relatively money, that's the the reality. I'd recommend Lexus mate

My wiser friends than I always recommended that you stretch for the halo cars at least because they'll retain value better. EG older gen M3/RS4/C63. But depends on your goals of course, might be wholly inappropriate :-)
Appreciate 0