BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum iDrive controller replacement

05-20-2024, 11:08 AM   #1
Giants56
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

iDrive controller replacement

Hello everyone -

We have a 2020 X7 we obtained CPO. The iDrive controller periodically wouldn’t work when used as a joystick (up, down, left, right). We bought the car in for other service and I asked the dealer to take a look. They said upon inspection is seemed the controller had liquid spilled in it. We decided because it was periodic we wouldn’t address it now. Well, after getting it back from the dealer it now just stopped working as a joystick altogether.

It’s back in with the dealer (because they didn’t properly complete the other repairs!!!) and I asked again for them to take a look and again they are saying it’s liquid damage and don’t appear to want to cover it.

I’m hoping someone has familiarity with this part and am wondering if m6 best bet is to buy a new/used module and replace it myself? I’m curious if there is anything more to it than that? Does a new module require it be coded to the vehicle?

I’m certainly open to any other suggestions.

Thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:26 PM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

You could most definitely get a used one and install it to the vehicle, however you are correct, it would require coding to the vehicle in order to make it work properly.

Depending on where in NY you are, you could pretty easily find someone local or remotely to do the coding for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 04:28 PM   #3
Giants56
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
You could most definitely get a used one and install it to the vehicle, however you are correct, it would require coding to the vehicle in order to make it work properly.

Depending on where in NY you are, you could pretty easily find someone local or remotely to do the coding for you.
Thanks I appreciate that. Do you know what I should look for when it comes to coding? I’m on Long Island. Just trying to get an idea of all-in price vs the dealer.

Appreciate the information.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:47 PM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

This part is actually a direct swap without coding needed for it to function properly. You can code it to your vehicles build but it’s not required.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 07:10 PM   #5
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants56 View Post
Thanks I appreciate that. Do you know what I should look for when it comes to coding? I’m on Long Island. Just trying to get an idea of all-in price vs the dealer.

Appreciate the information.
You would need to have a cable which can be gotten online for $20, then probably $50-$100 for someone online to do it. Local I would think should be comparable in price but without the need to buy a cable as they should have one.
Appreciate 0